New to this

momof4kids

Earning My Ears
It's been over 10 years since I've been to Disney and my health has gotten worse, mainly my knees. Both have severe osteoarthritis and I have little strength in my legs. I'm wanting to come in May of 2025. Can anyone think of rides I probably wouldn't get to ride on? Example Pirates. Because you have to step down, then step up. Any others come to mind? Thank you. Also with that being said I'm thinking of starting physical therapy to strengthen my legs although it won't help my knees.

What most people do to get in/out of Pirates is to use the bench seats as a makeshift step so that they don’t have to do one big step from loading platform to the floor of the boat.
Yes, i do that because I have severe RA. I also use a can to help balance.

It's been over 10 years since I've been to Disney and my health has gotten worse, mainly my knees. Both have severe osteoarthritis and I have little strength in my legs. I'm wanting to come in May of 2025. Can anyone think of rides I probably wouldn't get to ride on? Example Pirates. Because you have to step down, then step up. Any others come to mind? Thank you. Also with that being said I'm thinking of starting physical therapy to strengthen my legs although it won't help my knees.
I also use a cane to help getting in and out of boats. As others have said you can step on seat getting in and out

I feel like an expert on this topic. Both of my knees were absolutely awful with arthritis and I've used an ECV for many years. I actually just had one knee replaced last month and I'm hoping to get the other replaced this summer. My son is working as a CM on the college program - I go to WDW a lot anyway but this past year I've had an annual pass and went to see him almost every month before my surgery.

You're right that the boats can be a struggle - but I could do all of them. I was very slow to get in and out and my biggest suggestion is TAKE YOUR TIME - you may feel rushed but better to not fall because then they have to shut down the ride and of course - you'd be hurt - so that's a lose/lose. The CM's were always very nice about it - I didn't dawdle but I made sure I had good handholds on everything to pull myself out. Pirates, Frozen, Small World, Navi River - those are the boat type that come to mind.

The other issue is knee bend. Some rides you need a decent knee bend and if you're on the heavy side of course that takes more room for your legs. My knees struggled with the boat rides just for the knee bend because the seat was so low - but there was room. Other rides like Mine Train don't have a huge amount of space for knees. All I can say is try it - if it's not doable - just say you gotta get out cause your knee won't bend and don't worry about it. Some rides I wouldn't suggest - like Space Mountain, Astro-Orbiters. On Tron I took the "regular car style" seat and not the bike. I stopped being able to do Flight of Passage because of the knee bend and style of the ride but I suggest you try it. You can always NOPE it and just walk off before it starts. No issues on many rides, like Guardians.

Also, I tried PT before surgery and my knees were just so bad that the exercises took me backwards and I got to the point I could barely walk. Maybe the PT person didn't give me the right ones - but I suggest starting with the most basic and don't go "all in" doing reps - just ease into a bit to see how your knees respond. Even now with the one leg having a new knee - the other leg is holding me back on some exercises. My new knee is awesome - much less painful. I'm working hard to get good ROM so I can ride all the rides!

I've ridden it all so ask me any questions. I also suggest renting an ECV - it goes in most every queue and I couldn't have gone to WDW without it.

You're right that the boats can be a struggle - but I could do all of them. I was very slow to get in and out and my biggest suggestion is TAKE YOUR TIME - you may feel rushed but better to not fall because then they have to shut down the ride and of course - you'd be hurt - so that's a lose/lose. The CM's were always very nice about it - I didn't dawdle but I made sure I had good handholds on everything to pull myself out. Pirates, Frozen, Small World, Navi River - those are the boat type that come to mind.
I noticed that you talked about boats, but I was wondering about Test Track. It was harder for me than any boat. I was so embarrassed (which probably made me weaker and made it harder to get out) that several people had to grab me and practically haul me out.

Oof! Test Track is hard for me to get out of as well. I’m quite tall and have a bad knee from falling. but then again, I have trouble getting out of a regular sedan! 🤪

I noticed that you talked about boats, but I was wondering about Test Track. It was harder for me than any boat. I was so embarrassed (which probably made me weaker and made it harder to get out) that several people had to grab me and practically haul me out.
OOhhhh...yes.. TT was worse than the boats. I did it once last fall and was like yep I'm good - haha! The seats aren't flat maybe? It was hard to stand on them. I was in a row with my friend who has a walker, I had the ECV and the other guy with us had an assistive device as well. The three of us were like... in hindsight slightly hilarious getting out of that car.

It's hard to remember each ride and some of them I avoid. I'd rather do boats than TT. I actually rode Space Mountain in December at the MVMCP cause I wanted to see the overlay. Long story but I told the CM I wasn't sure I could get out and she was AMAZING - actually helped me on the ride and was there to help me get out. Wow that was harder - I'm still amazed I got out of that ride. I don't recommend trying it but I'm so glad I was able to do it (because the overlay has enough lights that you can see the track while you're on it - amazing!!).

Test Track is definitely hard, but if you ever make it out to Disneyland in California, Radiator Springs Racers uses the same basic technology, but they have a completely separate load/unload area and you can take your time getting in and out and is much easier.

Op there is a test set outside of test track for you to try and see how it would work getting in and out. Unless they got read of it recently.

Op there is a test set outside of test track for you to try and see how it would work getting in and out. Unless they got read of it recently.
Thanks-i hadn't noticed that. I'll bet that would give me the opportunity to practice a few times and find a way that might work-at least work better than last time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter