New to Universal - motion sickness

cornflkgrl

DIS Veteran
Hi,

I just added a 2-night stay at Royal Pacific Resort and 2-day park to park passes onto our 7/night 8/day Orlando trip (spending the remaining nights at BWI). We have never done Universal, but I have two boys: one obsessed with Harry Potter and the other obsessed with Jurassic Park and Transformers. So we thought we'd give it a try.

Anyway, I suffer from very bad motion sickness (example: getting off Star Tours and running to the bathroom to throw up and ill-for-about-an-hour- after-that kind of motion sickness). Soarin' is very difficult for me to handle. I have to be the one driving on long trips or I get sick. Imax makes me feel nauseous. Rides I do well on: it's a small world, Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain (sort of...it is rough), POTC, COP. My body laughs in the face of Dramamine.

Is there ANYTHING I'm going to be able to get on at Universal or IOA?! I don't want to be left sitting all day.

If you can do Splash mt, you can do the dudley flume ride. If you can do kali rapids, you can do the popeye raft ride. You can do all the Dr. Seussland rides. You can probably do Jurassic park if you can do splash mt as the boat is much bigger. You can see all the shows of course and there are several. You can do men in black if you can do buzz lightyear.
There are a bunch of simulators though. For me personally, the hardest one to do is the HPOtter Forbidden Journey one at Islands. The Minions one does have a front row that is stationary and doesn't move like the other rows do so that should be a safe one for you.
There are more thrill rides at Universal no question but there are some other rides and a good number of shows that you should enjoy.

Check out the boards here for folks experiences, they are varied, as what makes one person sick won't make another sick.

www.universalorlando.com is a great place to start. It gives you all the rides and where they are in the parks. Staying onsite is a great way to do the parks, you have EP which is wonderful.

I do have motion sickness issues but for me, the worst one is Simpsons. All the others I'm ok with. But Simpsons had me so bad I needed up back at the hotel. Never again.......lol........

Even if you don't do the Potter rides, it is such an amazing place. So much detail and just a fun place to be in regardless of rides.

Horror Make up Show is a must do. Very funny and shouldn't be missed.

There are things you'll be able to do, don't worry.........

I'd add, Despicable Me has non motion seats in the front that you could use with the rest of the family rides.

On the HP front, Forbidden Journey is probably out. But, I think you might have a chance with Gringotts. I would recommend watching the ride video so you can close your eyes during the troll scenes. In both cases, walk through the queues with your family. They are almost attractions unto themselves. Then when you get near the ride the TM can show you the exit.

How did you use your Dramamine before? I use Bonine and I take it the night before (lasts 24 hours) when I go on a cruise. I plan on taking it for US/IOA so I don't feel sick. Some of these medicines need to be in our body for a while before they work. I would never pop one and then go on a ride and expect it to work.

I have terrible motion sickness like you do. All simulator rides at UO/IOA made me terribly sick the first time. However, my MD prescribed the scop patch for me for all subsequent trips and I was able to do everything with NO issues. It was seriously like a miracle. Even Forbidden Journey, not a hint of nausea. There are side effects, including extreme dry mouth and blurry vision for me, but these are mostly just annoyances that I'm willing to deal with in order to have a great time with my family.

Hi-I could have written your post before out first US/IOA trip this past December. Dramamine's ingredient (Dimenhydrinate) never helped me either. I read about Bonine (Meclizine) on these boards and I used it for my vacation with great results. I can't ride a number of things at WDW (Star Tours, Mission Space, TeaCups, you get the idea). I was actually able to do all those (except MS) and rode lots at US/IOA. I was surprised how much I could ride, especially the HP attractions, and was not sick at all. I did have some scopolamine patches prescribed for me, but never needed to use them. Good luck!

I have terrible motion sickness like you do. All simulator rides at UO/IOA made me terribly sick the first time. However, my MD prescribed the scop patch for me for all subsequent trips and I was able to do everything with NO issues. It was seriously like a miracle. Even Forbidden Journey, not a hint of nausea. There are side effects, including extreme dry mouth and blurry vision for me, but these are mostly just annoyances that I'm willing to deal with in order to have a great time with my family.

I have taken Meclizine before. But I have not tried this prescription patch. I have inner ear issues so I think that is what my motion sickness comes from. I seem to do better when it isn't allergy season. I will definitely ask the doctor about the patch and see if it doesn't interact with my other meds. I really wanted to see if there was enough "other stuff" to keep me occupied. I'm pretty sure my younger son will walk around with me too. Is there somewhere I can find a list that tells if something has ANY motion-simulator elements to it before I get on? Is there any kind of ride descriptor outside? I just don't want to make a mistake because in August heat that will ruin my whole day. Do they have a map at the entrance with something in it that lists what is a motion-simulator and what isn't?

How is the Harry Potter train ride? Is the whole thing a motion simulator? I've watched the video and my understanding is that it takes you from one park to the other....but does it actually? Or is it just a motion simulator? I'm confused. And if it is an actual moving train, is there a place you can sit where you can see out an actual window or is it all that moving stuff out the window? I really want to be able to do the Hogwarts Express with my son, but the video looks BAD in terms of motion sickness and me.

Sorry for what probably seems like absurd questions. I have NO knowledge of Universal. None. I bought a book on Amazon and I'm waiting for it to show up.

Horror Make up Show is a must do. Very funny and shouldn't be missed.

There are things you'll be able to do, don't worry.........

Is this a show that would be okay for a will-have-just-turned 9 year old boy? (We are pretty laid back in our house. He's see Poltergeist and Jaws....but not like Saw or The Shining or anything)

Cornflkgrl........It tells you outside the rides what type they are and gives you a list of warnings.

Hogwarts Express does move from park to park........you wouldn't really know you were moving.......it's that slow!

The Windows are screens that show scenes as if you are making the journey to and from Hogwarts.......haven't heard anyone say it affected them.

www.universalorlando.com

List of everything in the parks.

Is this a show that would be okay for a will-have-just-turned 9 year old boy? (We are pretty laid back in our house. He's see Poltergeist and Jaws....but not like Saw or The Shining or anything)

Oh gosh yes........it's funny.........there is a little fake blood.......but it's blatantly fake........all done in fun. They show some clips of old movies, but they're very short clips........if he's seen Jaws it's fine........

We've seen much younger kids in there........your son will love it I'm sure.......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter