New Westin hotel or Courtyard By Marriott Theme Park???

Mascara&MouseEars

Mouseketeer
Planning our first trip to DL and torn where to stay. In WDW we have always stayed on property. I love the look of DLH but cant justify the price to my DH with no on site perks. We booked at Courtyard because of close proximity to the parks and the fact that my 2 kids (14 and 8) wouldn't have to share a bed. Now I'm reading how Harbor Blvd can be less desirable at times and that security is more crowded. Should I switch to the Westin? Is the walk much longer? Does it feel more like being in the Disney bubble to walk on that side of the parks? If we wanted to do Trader Sam's one night we weren't in the parks and Goofy's kitchen before the park one day would that make the Westin a better location?

For the Courtyard, you literally just go across the street and don't really see much of Harbor. There may be some people trying to sell you stuff but you're not walking South towards where more of the "rougher" parts. I don't think that changing to the Westin for the sole purpose of avoiding Harbor makes much sense. Sure you walk through Downtown Disney when staying at the Westin but half the walk is outside on the regular streets too so it's not like you're in the Disney bubble for that part.

The difference in walking time + security to the park entrances will be about 10 vs 20 minutes although if you were in the back of California Adventure, you could cut through the Grand Californian and get back to the Westin a lot faster. If you were going to Tomorrowland, you could also walk to just the monorail station and take that into the park if you were staying at the Westin. As you've mentioned, for Goofy's Kitchen and Trader Sam's, the Westin is a lot closer. For the Courtyard, you'd actually have to cross security and go through all of Downtown Disney while for the Westin, you wouldn't have to go through security to get to these restaurants.

With kids, a question is if you would want to use the pool. The Courtyard has a bit of a water play area while the Westin has more of a traditional pool. For the Courtyard, you're paying a premium for a short walk to the park entrance even though the hotel is not as nice as its price would suggest while for the Westin, you're paying for the highest level of luxury in the Disneyland area.

We've stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott Theme Park. It's a nice hotel, clean and spacious. We just weren't wowed by it and haven't stayed since. The bunkbeds are nice, but there was nothing special about the hotel to make us return. Maybe it felt too sterile? lol

Harbor is safe. I've walked back to the hotel to grab coats or random stuff we forgot at night as a single 19-24 year old female and had no problems. My mom is always paranoid about this and will have either my brother go with me or watch from the hotel balcony if I run to pick up Denny's or stop by the convenience store for water. The area is really not that unsafe. My field is criminal justice and I enjoy researching crime rates in the areas we travel (weird, I know). The crime map of Anaheim along Harbor shows that the most common crime to occur since October is shoplifting, larceny, and a *rare* assault/robbery. Knowing the area, I am thinking the crimes against people are within the transient population and are not acts committed towards tourists.

The transient population is not huge by any means. You may see at most 5 people (in recent times, there used to be more before COVID) hanging around the area, but it's not something that you won't be able to avoid. They won't interact any considerable length with you if you just keep walking. There are also vendors who are just outside of Disneyland property, but they are harmless. They sell water, toy helicopters, balloon-type light up things, etc. Though we've had no issues, we always just stay right across the street and plan on heading back to the hotel during hours where lots of people are heading back (think 12:30am at the latest for a midnight park closing). There are always people walking back before and just after park closing, so you're never completely alone.

Security has been moving very quickly recently. Before COVID-19, it wasn't unheard of for us to wait 30+ minutes in security and it be backed up with wall-to-wall people near the buses. Now, we wait maybe 5 or 8 minutes at most because they are very organized and have many lines constantly moving.

With that being said, if it was a choice between Courtyard and Westin, I would choose Westin. We haven't had the opportunity to stay there but it looks really beautiful and nice. I don't have any experience with the opposite side of Disneyland (where you would be walking to get to Westin), but I haven't heard of any major incidents happening on that side. Disneyland Dr. appears to have the same crime types as Harbor according to the crime map, so I would say that area is probably safe as well.

EDITED TO ADD: I actually just took a look at the map again and it turns out there are more assaults between Katella and Ball on Disneyland Drive than there are in the same boundaries on Harbor. I'm not sure why so many assaults would be occurring on Disneyland property (parking or DtD maybe?). Just wanted to add this.

Last edited:
I have never done the Westin but the one huge advantage of the Courtyard often missed in discussions is most of the rooms have two shower/baths which depending on party size is amazing. For our family of 6, it is a pretty ideal setup.

Westin is nice because it's new but layout is your average hotel. all families have different priorities, but we feel like the CY has way more usable space for our family (4 kids 10 and younger) as well as the extra beds (and the water park, which is nice when it's warm out.) Walking distance is about the same, for whatever reason I feel like going up disneyland dr feels a lot longer on the way back.

You did not mention the suites at the RI on Katella (which is also newer) which also have a lot of room and may work better for your family. Added bonus of full free breakfast in the morning.

Thanks so much for all the input. At the moment I think we are leaning towards the Westin. The kids agreed they could share a bed and we are going mid April so I don't think the waterpark or pool will be a major factor with it not being that hot. Also for it being almost new and considered a luxury resort it actually is over $200 less.

We have stayed at the Courtyard 3 times and I love it! Love the split bath, it's great with kids. The waterpark is fun when on a break from the park. I found the hotel to be super clean, large rooms, and super friendly staff! One year I mailed them graduation decorations for my son's surprise trip, and they decorated the room for us prior to arrival! Loved that! I looked at the Westin, but it seems like a further walk to me. It does look super nice though.

I've stayed at both. Westin is definitely a farther walk but through DTD which helps somewhat, IMO. The upcoming construction at the DTD west end that could change the feel for sure though. Personally I much prefer going through security at the DLH/DTD side like you would from the Westin vs. Harbor security but it's not the end of the world. If you have stuff planned at DLH (like Trader Sam's and Goofy's, as you mentioned) then the Westin will definitely be closer for those... but I might just Uber for those from Courtyard which would offset that.

I REALLY liked the Westin but I do think for a family with multiple kids the Courtyard might have a slight edge for me with multiple beds and multiple bath/shower setup (the sink area is shared between the two). We are a family of 5 but rarely do all 5 of us go to the parks together. The last time we did, though, we stayed at the Courtyard and really appreciated the layout (also, my kids HATE sharing a bed). When it's just me and one two of the kids then I do Westin (or similar/on site).

Thanks again everyone for your help. So excited! I just went on the Disneyland site to book the Westin and they are doing the 5th night free. I saved almost $600 from switching to Westin from Courtyard! 89 days, let the countdown begin! hope I get this lucky finding a flight :tink:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter