New Years Day at Disneyland?

Elbygrl

Earning My Ears
Good morning! My family and I are headed to Aulani from the US east coast. We are staying in LA for a day to break up the long flights and DH asks me this morning, "How about we go to Disneyland when we get to LA?" Ordinarily I'd leap to book tickets (after first checking to make sure DH wasn't having some kind of fit, he is NOT the Disney fan in the family) but I'm hesitating because our one day we have in LA is New Years Day. How bad will the crowds be? I don't mind paying for whatever the Genie+ is at DL. We have never been, we visit WDW a few times a year. Looking for advice from folks who may have experience with DL on holidays.

It's one of the most crowded days of the year. I don't know if they will still be limiting capacity at that point. Also, no idea how lightning lane and genie+ is going to pan out since they don't have those at this point. Personally, I would go and make the most of it. Prioritize what you want to do before you get there.

After ringing in New Years the night before, we did not make it to the parks for rope drop, but I do remember they opened late. I’m thinking maybe 10am, if memory serves? It was busy in the late morning/early afternoon. This was a couple years ago.

Following because we’ll be there on NY Eve AND NY Day and I’ve never experienced that at DLR before. We did spend NYE 2014 & NYD 2015 at WDW, however (at Epcot & Animal Kingdom, respectively) and had a wonderful time. Yes, it was crowded. BUT, we were prepared with a pretty detailed plan and were able to do everything we wanted.

Also, we made a similar pit stop at DLR on our way to Maui in 2019 and it was the perfect way to jump start that trip! Such a great idea. 👍🏼😊

I has been quite a few years since this trip but one year I did New Year's Eve and New Year's Day at Disneyland. NYE was super crazy crowded but glad I did it once. New Year's Day was not bad the first part of the day but did get more crowded as the day went on and people woke up after their late night before. I would say it wasn't any more crowded than the rest of the week between Christmas and New Year's is if that is any gage for you. If you are able to make rope drop I would say go for it and enjoy the first few hours knowing it will get more crowded as the day goes on. Also hope for rain which tends to deter any locals who were planning to go.

I has been quite a few years since this trip but one year I did New Year's Eve and New Year's Day at Disneyland. NYE was super crazy crowded but glad I did it once. New Year's Day was not bad the first part of the day but did get more crowded as the day went on and people woke up after their late night before. I would say it wasn't any more crowded than the rest of the week between Christmas and New Year's is if that is any gage for you. If you are able to make rope drop I would say go for it and enjoy the first few hours knowing it will get more crowded as the day goes on. Also hope for rain which tends to deter any locals who were planning to go.
Not just waking up after NYE, there is a LARGE contingent that goes to the Rose Bowl Parade and then returns to do the park.

All bets are off for this NYE, and any NYE that it rains. But, normal NYE (we have been there every year since 1999) is over the top crowded. An example, about 4-5 years ago, we had just come off Haunted Mansion and were going to exit the park and head to DCA. This was about 7pm. It took 30 mins to walk from HM to POTC. With reservations limiting the capacity, it should be better this year.

I’ve done New Year’s Day in both 2018 & 2019. It is very busy but doable. Crowds will pick up around 11amish. Park is still decorated for Christmas and has that fun holiday feeling. I would recommend getting there at opening as that’s when crowds are most manageable. The parks opened around 9am? It opens later on New Year’s Day because the park would close at 1/2am for NYE.

I've always wanted to take my daughter for her birthday. Unfortunately in this case it's 1/1 :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter