• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

new year's eve 2011

DHar

Mouseketeer
i know it's a long way away...we're never been there at or around new years but have our trip booked for this year. does anyone have any info on special events at wdw on new year's eve....we have no idea on what might special events might be going on...:confused3...things to do ..places to eat......any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!

We've been twice, and one important piece of information is that MK previews the NYE fireworks on the 30th. Even in the check in papers, that information is noted. There's less of a crowd on the 30th, so that's where we go.

For the 31st, so far we've done Epcot twice. They have an earlier time fireworks that's just the usually Illuminations, around 8:30...and their NYE firworks begins around 11:40. The first time we stayed at Epcot from about 5PM on, and this past year, we were just too tired to do that. So, around 11:15 we went to the International Gateway, walked to the bridge and got there just in time for the fireworks. That was more like it! NYE at Epcot is very crowded.

DS and DGD went to DHS for their fireworks and they thought they were fabulous. Maybe we'll try to see those next year. There's an orchestra playing to the fireworks display.

When we're on the bridge at Epcot, we can just turn around to see the upper fireworks from DHS (Epcot's display is over) and watch those for about 5- 10 minutes. You don't hear the music of course, but the fireworks are pretty good without the music.

Bobbi:goodvibes

PS. There's a party on the Boardwalk in the Village Green area. They give out hats and noisemakers around 9 or so. They mentioned that the music from Epcot would be piped into the area for the NYE fireworks, but I don't know how good the view is of the fireworks, we prefer to go into the park itself.

bobbi.....:thumbsup2...thanks!!!

We have been to wdw for the last 5 years for xmas week and 4 times included NYE. One thing I would strongly!!! suggest is to make adr for NYE as soon as you are able. Make sure it is where you want to be for NYE. Do not plan on park hopping to/from MK because it has closed to all guests including resort guest by 10am and is wall to wall(we have never ventured there). We have twice gone to DHS in am then epcot in pm and had no problem entering epcot at around 4pm. Last NYE we had adr at Nine Dragons and so many people were being turned away for meals, that I felt really sorry. One year we stayed all day at DHS and there are tons of activities at every park that day/night(ate at BD). Last time we went to DHS in am, left and went back to Dolphin(stayed there on night for location after 5 nights at OKW) hung around watched football then had dinner at Kouzzina and watch midnite fireworks from BW area of both epcot and DHS. We did go to MK 12/30 as pp did, but found it was crazy crowded..they practice their crowd control for NYE so you have huge lines of CM all along the walkways and they make you go in a certain flow..it was crazy!!!!! Won't do that again. We are WDW veterans and usually are doing the holiday stuff then so we don't really care as much if FP are gone or if waits are 60-99 min..we will skip an attraction for then and plan on seeing it next trip. MAKE YOUR ADR FOR NYE AT EXACTLY 189 DAYS AND MAKE IT WHERE YOU WANT TO BE!!!

Connears

Thanks for raising this question - me and my partner were discussing this today as we are coming across from the UK on the 31st December.

We have never been over for NYE and was wondering what chance we got of even getting into a park - saying that we wont even get to our resort until around 5pm!

Thanks for the tip on ADR's will make sure we do this :-)

We have been to wdw for the last 5 years for xmas week and 4 times included NYE. One thing I would strongly!!! suggest is to make adr for NYE as soon as you are able. Make sure it is where you want to be for NYE. Do not plan on park hopping to/from MK because it has closed to all guests including resort guest by 10am and is wall to wall(we have never ventured there). We have twice gone to DHS in am then epcot in pm and had no problem entering epcot at around 4pm. Last NYE we had adr at Nine Dragons and so many people were being turned away for meals, that I felt really sorry. One year we stayed all day at DHS and there are tons of activities at every park that day/night(ate at BD). Last time we went to DHS in am, left and went back to Dolphin(stayed there on night for location after 5 nights at OKW) hung around watched football then had dinner at Kouzzina and watch midnite fireworks from BW area of both epcot and DHS. We did go to MK 12/30 as pp did, but found it was crazy crowded..they practice their crowd control for NYE so you have huge lines of CM all along the walkways and they make you go in a certain flow..it was crazy!!!!! Won't do that again. We are WDW veterans and usually are doing the holiday stuff then so we don't really care as much if FP are gone or if waits are 60-99 min..we will skip an attraction for then and plan on seeing it next trip. MAKE YOUR ADR FOR NYE AT EXACTLY 189 DAYS AND MAKE IT WHERE YOU WANT TO BE!!!

Connears

thanks for the info....we're looking forward to it and a great time!!!!

we will be arriving on new year's eve so the earliest we can call to set up adr's would be 6/31...i'm sure most would be booked up from people coming in earlier that week...we are staying at BLT so as of now we were thinking of trying to get something at whispering canyon for around 5 or so...hopefully miss most of the crowds. we dont want to go someplace and get stuck for a long time waiting for buses.....we can just walk out front or go to the lounge..heck even walk to MK to see the midnight fireworks...this is new to us so we need all the help we can get!!!!!.....:thumbsup2

we will be arriving on new year's eve so the earliest we can call to set up adr's would be 6/31...i'm sure most would be booked up from people coming in earlier that week...we are staying at BLT so as of now we were thinking of trying to get something at whispering canyon for around 5 or so...hopefully miss most of the crowds. we dont want to go someplace and get stuck for a long time waiting for buses.....we can just walk out front or go to the lounge..heck even walk to MK to see the midnight fireworks...this is new to us so we need all the help we can get!!!!!.....:thumbsup2

If you are staying at BLT, you can take monorail to Poly(Kona Cafe), GF (1900PF) and eat there and also be able to see the fireworks at MK, at least from the Poly Beach. You can also take the boat to WL instead of bus. We loved The Wave at CR and you might be able to get an adr there if you don't care about what time. I think Calf Grill would be very difficult. The resort restaurants may be a bit easier because most folks want to be at a park for midnite. Good Luck!!!!

Connears

We're planning on New Year's Eve in 2011 for the first time as well... this thread is helpful. We've booked our first two nights (Dec. 30-31) at the Swan using Starwood points to avoid the high DVC point price for those night. Then we've got a Treehouse Villa booked for a week starting Jan 1. Hoping that we can manage the crowds for 2 days in order to see the NYE festivities... and knowing that we'll have time later on in the trip to visit attractions without huge crowds.

We're planning on New Year's Eve in 2011 for the first time as well... this thread is helpful. We've booked our first two nights (Dec. 30-31) at the Swan using Starwood points to avoid the high DVC point price for those night. Then we've got a Treehouse Villa booked for a week starting Jan 1. Hoping that we can manage the crowds for 2 days in order to see the NYE festivities... and knowing that we'll have time later on in the trip to visit attractions without huge crowds.

We used our starwood points for NYE at Dolphin last time also. It was a great location for that night. We did DHS in the morning to afternoon then relaxed at resort and had dinner at Kouzzina around 8:30pm then hung around BW area, had late dessert at BW Bakery and watched the epcot and DHS fireworks from the bridge between swan and BW. We were back in our rooms before the crowds even hit the trams at the other parks. we have heard of it taking 2-3 hours to leave the parking lot after midnite....you will love the location and if you go to Epcot or DHS as its an easy walk back from Epcot or boat ride from DHS(its a bit of a walk from there but doable I guess). Have fun..we will be at HHI for NYE after our OKW stay from 12/25-12/30/11.

Connears

Subscribing!! We arrive 12/30...this is our first WDW holiday trip (we love mid-November), so I'll be paying close attention :) Note to DHar above, I was told July 3rd is my first day to make ADR's...don't forget those pesky 31 day months in your calculation ;) Our party will be 4 adults and 4 kids (2 @ 10yr, 8, and 7) . . .since this will likely be our one and only "holiday" timed trip any suggestions would be welcome! Does anything special go on at DTD? We will be staying at SSR . . .

We stayed at the BWV this year, it was the best NYE we've ever had. We went to the AK in the morning and then hung out at the resort. We had a GV and opted to cook in the villa that night...we did a shrimp boil. We could hear the DJ, watch the BW entertainment from our balcony and view the fireworks from the MK and Epcot, we also were able to see the countdown to NY on Spaceship Earth. I wish I could spend NYE there every year. PP mentioned the Californis Grill, I believe it was about $500 per person for the evening. Other restaurants also had a prixe fixed NYE menu, be sure to research that before making an ADR.

we are checking in on 12/31 so our day to call is july 4th...can't wait. hoping throughout the year we can get some posts in here on what to do at WDW on new year's eve...our first time and can't wait!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter