New Year's Eve & Park Capacity

Lost Yeti

Mouseketeer
So, I'm a Florida resident/annual passholder and am very familiar with the parks, but I've always avoided the parks during peak times. I'll be heading to the park for the first time on a holiday since I'll have some friends in town who want to go to WDW on New Year's Eve. I've heard that some of the parks, namely MK and Epcot, could possibly activate phased closures throughout the day due to capacity.

Two questions:
1) Is this true based on past experiences?
2) How early should we get to our final park of the day (Epcot) to ensure we can get in to see the fireworks that night?

We are currently planning on heading to Epcot after our 3:30 FOP FP.

I should mention that our friends are staying on property and have 9:00 dining reservations at Epcot. Essentially, if I understand the process correctly, it would take a phase four closure for us to be kept out of the park - has this ever happened?

Thanks!

1) very true. It happens every year, mainly at MK but Epcot can easily reach a phase 1 or 2 closure

2) 99% chance that Epcot won't reach a phase 4 closure. Therefore it doesn't matter what time you get there since your AP holders.

AP holders and on site guests with ADRs are allowed into the parks up until a full phase 4 closure where it's at max capacity.

I'd want to be there prior to 6pm to see the fireworks that will go off at about 6:30.

Be prepared for huge lines. Try to snag an epcot FP as soon as you scan your FoP FP at animal kingdom. When I went for NYE, Living with the Land had a 60 min wait and figments line was outside of the building.

1) very true. It happens every year, mainly at MK but Epcot can easily reach a phase 1 or 2 closure
Even then MK isn't closed to anyone but those buying 1 day tickets at the gate, or with 1 day tickets, CM passes. So far at least. AP holders, those staying on site, those with FP, ADR, etc, all have been allowed in.

Yeah, Epcot won’t close. The parks capacity is huge compared to MK.
And the word is, now that MK has the added square footage of New Fantasy Land and Pete's Silly Sideshow it won't ever close beyond Phase 1 or 2 again. It's gotten too big now too. No idea if that's been confirmed by anyone or not

Thanks for the help, everyone!

We'll probably stick with the plan and head over around 4 o'clock. My feelings about going keep swinging between excitement and dread because of the crowds. Trying to remind myself that it'll be fun so long as my expectations are in check :)

Is there’s difference between offsite guests who have a FP and offsite guests with an ADR? Essentially I’m asking, if i decide I’m not super interested in eating in MK on 12/30 and I have both an adr and a FP...is there a reason for me to keep the adr just to help ensure I won’t get closed out of getting back in the park that evening if I take a mid day break?

Hey there...

We've gone 8 of the last 9 years from 12/24-1/1. We've been to DHS and EPCOT, so I can speak from experience.

EPCOT will probably hit around a Phase 2. I don't think I've ever seen it at Phase 3, but we never really worry about Phased closures, as we stay on-site. MK will absolutely be at a Phase 3 by then. It hasn't and most likely won't hit a Phase 4 during NYE.

The thing with EPCOT is that you won't find a seat after 3:30pm. Arriving early to EPCOT is more about securing a spot to watch the fireworks than it is about getting in before a phased closure. EPCOT is a lot more wide open, so it tends to absorb crowds well. Even so, expect crazy crowds and traffic.

My tip for going to EPCOT: Unless you're driving, take the bus from AK back to Beach Club, then go in through the back entrance. It'll be far less chaotic.

I'd hate to say "sure, you'll get in at XXX time", then you get turned away. Wanna know a hack? Depending on how important it is to go, I'd say book an ADR, even if you don't plan on eating. If memory serves me right, guests with an ADR will be allowed into the park, even if it's at a Phase 3 closure. May be worth "eating" the $10 per person just to make sure you get in. Worst case scenario, you have a delicious meal before ringing in the new year.

Staying at BC, we usually go into EPCOT for a little while, see the DJs and grab a drink, then watch the fireworks from the beach or pier.

Another tip: Go to MK on 12/30. They do the new year show on 12/30 as well as 12/31. The only thing that changes on 12/31 is the year!

Last edited:
Is there’s difference between offsite guests who have a FP and offsite guests with an ADR? Essentially I’m asking, if i decide I’m not super interested in eating in MK on 12/30 and I have both an adr and a FP...is there a reason for me to keep the adr just to help ensure I won’t get closed out of getting back in the park that evening if I take a mid day break?

If you're say an offsite guest using a one day ticket..an ADR will get you into a park past the first phased closure.

A FP to the park means nothing.

Yes, there is a difference between FP and ADR as everyone who has a ticket will have FP so a FP will not get you in the park if there is a level 1 or 2 closer.

Epcot did not reach any closure last year, according to what I've been able to find.
MK did reach Phase B
http://www.kennythepirate.com/2016/12/31/magic-kingdom-phase-b-closure-new-years-eve/
http://www.doctordisney.com/2016/12/31/magic-kingdom-hits-phase-closure-currently-closed-guests/
http://www.chipandco.com/breaking-news-magic-kingdom-phased-closing-due-high-crowd-levels-256462/

If you're say an offsite guest using a one day ticket..an ADR will get you into a park past the first phased closure.

A FP to the park means nothing
They do. Guests with FP will be admitted with Phase B closures

That seems to be the only difference I can see between the first 2 phases
http://www.kennythepirate.com/2012/12/31/phased-closing-outline/

I have ADR at MK on the 30th and Epcot on the 31st. First, we want to be able to eat without fighting HUGE crowds (so no QS, even with mobile ordering, still have to find a seat) and 2nd, I knew it would aid us in getting in if we needed it.

I have never done MK but we've done Epcot for NYE quite a few times including the millennial, and it didn't even close then. As someone mentioned, people do "secure their spots" around the lagoon at Epcot very early in the day. There are blankets and such set up all around for most of the day, there are still places to view the midnight fireworks without doing that but you won't be right up front. As others have mentioned, be prepared for massive crowds and extremely long lines for counter service. It took me over 1 hour just to get my DD at churro in Mexico on NYE once. DH and I will be heading back to Epcot again this NYE, but we learned to go later in the day so we're not exhausted by midnight. It's fun but you have to have a LOT of patience.

Somewhat related to this topic, for the last year or so I’ve followed an account on Twitter - @EpcotNYE - that does a pretty darn good job of covering 12/31 at Epcot from lots of different angles, including crowd levels, wait times, etc. They only tweet that one day a year. It was a really interesting follow this past year. Might be worth scrolling back through their posts from last year for anyone trying Epcot on NYE this year.

We're braving Epcot on NYE, too, so it was fun to read the posts from those who've done it before.
We have FPs and dinner reservations, not worrying about getting to the park until around 2:30ish. We'll be at MK on 12/30 and just planning to go to our late lunch at Liberty Tree, use our FPs, and be patient. No kids this trip so it should be pretty easy to manage with just me and DH.

Looking forward to a crazy, busy, fun night!

Gosh, there's been numerous posts about NYE at Disney and I think every single Dis'er that is going is doing MK on the 30th and Epcot on the 31st. Not a surprise mind you just that one would begin to think, based on reading here, if you did the opposite you'd find no one in each of the parks, LOL

I have ADR at MK on the 30th and Epcot on the 31st. First, we want to be able to eat without fighting HUGE crowds (so no QS, even with mobile ordering, still have to find a seat) and 2nd, I knew it would aid us in getting in if we needed it.

I’ve been preaching it for the past 5-6 years haha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter