New Year's Eve week plans? Help? Thoughts?

MaeB76

Earning My Ears
Hi All! Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but it seemed the best fit :)

We've been to WDW many, many times, but this year will be our first time visiting over NYE. We have a room booked at BLT for four nights.
We do not currently have our tickets yet. Our AP's expire mid-Nov and we are not planning to renew, so we'll just be getting day tickets ($$$$) :(.

That said, I am debating where we want to spend our time. We have 3 1/2 days in the Orlando area and then 2 1/2 days in Cocoa Beach area.

I'm considering 2 days in the WDW parks... probably MK on 12/30 and EPCOT on 12/31..... but I'm debating just doing MK both days since we can walk to BLT. Any thoughts on one plan over the other? How bad will monorail transportation back to BLT on 12/31 be after fireworks... are the EPCOT fireworks worth the trip over there (in lieu of MK's fireworks, which we'd have already seen on 12/30)? OR, and this is a big OR, I'm considering only buying one day of park tickets (for 12/31 in MK) and just watching the fireworks from BLT on 12/30 (and doing something non-Disney during the day). I am aware MK risks closure on 12/31 so we'd plan accordingly (enter early and stay, make ADR in the park).

For our other full day I am debating Sea World (we'll have a car) or if it's really warm, a day in a WDW water park. I know Sea World is not Disney.... but can anyone speak to crowds there over the holidays?

For our time in Cocoa, fingers crossed weather is decent enough for some relaxing by the pool (heated) or beach for 1 1/2 days. The other full day we hope to go to Kennedy Space Center..... again, anyone know how crowds would be there?

Any other thoughts appreciated!

If you are doing Epcot on 12/31 get there early. The park will be very crowded. People like to celebrate NYE around the world at world showcase. Monorail will be packed.
Unlike normal operations days, on New Year’s Eve, there are two fireworks shows. The first IllumiNations show of the day takes place at 6:00 PM (a fun view, if you’ve never seen the show during sunset!), followed by a second full IllumiNations show with a special New Year’s Eve finale at 11:40 PM. To help make the occasion more festive, Epcot distributes party hats and horns to guests mid-afternoon at specific locations around the park (don’t worry – you’ll know when and where distribution starts, as you’ll hear it all across the lagoon).
Around 7:00 PM, DJ dance parties amp up the atmosphere around the park to something you’ve likely never seen before. In the past, these have included:
  • Dance parties will run from 7:00 PM all the way until about 11:30 PM, giving you plenty of time to dance your heart out and then find a spot for the fireworks. Don’t discount these dance parties as the same ones you are used to from Tomorrowland in Magic Kingdom or at Disney’s Hollywood Studios – they really are a lot of fun (but plan for crowds and lots of noise!).
Here is a link of picture of what you can expect at Epcot
https://hellogiggles.com/lifestyle/travel/disney-world-bonkers-busy-nye/

Last edited:
Thank you Shelly!! That’s all very helpful.
I made a lunch and dinner reservation in EPCOT for the 31st, so that we can get out of the crowds and sit for a bit. Hopefully that helps :)

Anyone know how crowds will be at Sea World or KSC that week?

If you do intend on being in the parks on NYE, plan to get there early. Like others have said, it will be packed. When I was at MK on NYE 2014, the park was near reaching capacity at 10 am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter