• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New York City Pizzeria

mikemasco

Earning My Ears
My family is from NYC and we plan on ordering food to our cabin (Wilderness Lodge). We are looking for recommendations on a really good Pizzeria that has makes a really good pizza pie, good pasta dishes, etc.

Again, we are from NYC and are use to something that at comes close to the type of Pizzerias at home

Save the Italian for home.

My son ordered chicken parm down there once. It was a big fat chicken breast not the thin sliced cutlets we are used to.

If you really want pizza to feed a crowd I second the deep dish recommendation.

Heard from a friend from LI that Upper Crust in Celebration was the closest pizza he has found to home. Haven't tried it yet but have tried a few in the area and nothing is close to NJ/NY pizza though if you go in knowing it's a different type of pizza, you can find a tasty pie in a few places off property.

You're better off embracing better local Orlando food, (even if it's a chain that you know you like) than trying to get an interpretation of something you already know is great in your hometown, that you can get anytime.

As a Chicagoan, Giordano's Stuffed is definitely an experience to try, but, their thin, or extra thin crust is what we order 99.99% of the time. I'd guess that most Chicagoans view Stuffed as "tourist food," and cracker thin crust as "true" Chicago-Style pizza. Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just trying to help avoid disappointment.

Anyway - lol - most East Coasters I know consider Chicago "Stuffed" pizza an abomination, but it's worth a try. I spent a decent amt of time living on the east coast, and I understand the pizza scenes in both areas. I truly love them both. At Giordano's, I'd suggest getting both Stuffed, and also an extra thin. Sausage, spinach and hot giardiniera are my go-tos.

If Giordano's thin crust is like Nancy's (Chicago-based), NOOOOO, don't even think it.

Nancy's thin crust is kind of crunchy. ICK!

Chicago deep-dish isn't that bad as long as you think thick and pretty gooey overall.

Still saying, I'd pay the wad to get Di Fara's shipped. THAT is the real deal. RIP Dom, King of Slice.

My family is from NYC and we plan on ordering food to our cabin (Wilderness Lodge). We are looking for recommendations on a really good Pizzeria that has makes a really good pizza pie, good pasta dishes, etc.

Again, we are from NYC and are use to something that at comes close to the type of Pizzerias at home
I am NYC born and raised and you will never find anything come close to a New York slice down in Florida. The further south you go, the worse the water quality. What makes NY pizza and bagels stand out from the rest is the WATER that is used to mix with the flour.

I am NYC born and raised and you will never find anything come close to a New York slice down in Florida. The further south you go, the worse the water quality. What makes NY pizza and bagels stand out from the rest is the WATER that is used to mix with the flour.
Yep. And they use sweeter sauces or at least better quality.

If Giordano's thin crust is like Nancy's (Chicago-based), NOOOOO, don't even think it.

Nancy's thin crust is kind of crunchy. ICK!

Chicago deep-dish isn't that bad as long as you think thick and pretty gooey overall.

Still saying, I'd pay the wad to get Di Fara's shipped. THAT is the real deal. RIP Dom, King of Slice.

I've never had a Nancy's, BUT, that crunchy thin crust is totally a desired thing here. I would expect that the Giordano's "Extra Thin Crust" would be the crunchy one. Their regular thin crust would not. I prefer the crunchy one, we call it "Cracker Crust," and that's my preferred style of Chicago Pizza.

Advice for what it's worth. You're from NY. Enjoy what's available here now. Wait till you're home to get what you know and don't expect to get it here.
We're originally from MD and love steamed crabs. We've lived here in Florida for several years and have discovered they don't do steamed crabs here. They boil everything. That's not the proper way to do crabs! (To us anyway, LOL). As much as I hate MD, that's one thing we get when we go back. So, again, advice of the same value you paid for it- Nothing! LOL

First not every pizzeria in NY is good... many bad ones been living/working for to many years without saying my age. The only Pizza in Disney that is decent quality is the Boardwalk Pizza window it is to go only and is owned by people from Brooklyn. It is Just plain pizza not the specialty pies found in NY which is what really makes NY Pizza good. Note the large pie is more on the scale with a NY small AKA 6 slices it was 21.00 last year not sure how much now as the raised since we first had in 2019. Their meatball sub was also good but it was gone last year not sure if they brought is back or not. For the record my then young son ordered Pizza once in Disney at House of Blues on the child's menu (the pie was larger then the pizza window) took one bite and left the rest.... has to get him food elsewhere later..... 10-11 years later and still has never ordered pizza at Disney again except for the Pizza window (and yes it tool me a while to get up the courage to order after seeing and smelling many that had them or eating them on the BW.

Someone told me about NYPD pizzeria . Again, looking for more than just pizza. Just some decent takeout Italian food.

I would keep pizza dinners for home and maybe try other kinds of dish maybe? We live in Montreal and we NEVER expect any good poutine anywhere outside QC, much less Orlando. But we don't have good BBQ here so we enjoy eating lots of it when in the south.

We went to Blaze Pizza at Disney Springs twice during Winter Break and had the Simple Pie. It is the closest you are going to get to NY Pizza, it's affordable and we enjoyed eating outside. But it is a long wait to order.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter