New York Cruise/which airport

I've grown fond of the midtown hilton on 6th avenue and 53rd for this purpose. It's not in an overwhelming tourist area but still close enough to everything, but I'm usually coming in from Grand Central Terminal. Anything closer to Times Square and money starts flying out the window.
I agree, that's a great location!

Like others have said, don't stay by the airport if you're looking to sightsee!!

If you're taking the AirTrain from JFK and then transferring to the Long Island Railroad, you can now go to either Penn Station or Grand Central via the LIRR (and the new Grand Central LIRR terminal may be the cleanest place in NYC since it's new). If heading to Times Square, it's about the same distance/time, but depending on where you're staying, one or the other could save you time.

There's a Holiday Inn about a block and a half from the cruise terminal that I've stayed at and it was quite nice (though several years ago).

Like others have said, don't stay by the airport if you're looking to sightsee!!

If you're taking the AirTrain from JFK and then transferring to the Long Island Railroad, you can now go to either Penn Station or Grand Central via the LIRR (and the new Grand Central LIRR terminal may be the cleanest place in NYC since it's new). If heading to Times Square, it's about the same distance/time, but depending on where you're staying, one or the other could save you time.

There's a Holiday Inn about a block and a half from the cruise terminal that I've stayed at and it was quite nice (though several years ago).
I had the chance to travel from the new Moynihan Train Hall at Penn Station last year and it was fantastically clean. I was quite surprised! The old Penn Station was so dark and cramped, but the new hall is great.

Grand Central tends to be pretty nice, anyway.

When I went in 2012, my family flew into JFK since it was the only airport in the area that Virgin America (at the time) flew to. What my family did was fly in a week early, head to Philadelphia (which we diverted to on the flight there :scared1:), Hershey, Long Island, the cruise, and two extra days in New York before flying back home (I'm in CA). We did have the rental car for the first week and from Long Island, we drove to the port. I don't remember where we stayed post cruise

I had the chance to travel from the new Moynihan Train Hall at Penn Station last year and it was fantastically clean. I was quite surprised! The old Penn Station was so dark and cramped, but the new hall is great.

Grand Central tends to be pretty nice, anyway.
Plus Moynihan puts you onto 8th Ave, a block West, which is one-way uptown (the direction of the MCruiseTerminal).

For SW flyers, PHL offers good service. It may seem far away, but there are trains between PHL and downtown Philadelphia, and then frequent AmTrack services between Phil 30th and NYPenn.

Just saying, because Laguardia, while much closer, presents its own set of challenges.

I'm looking into the 10/7 NYC to Bermuda cruise. We've only cruised out of Florida previously, are the seas rough at all going from NYC? I don't think we have seasick issues but I'm just curious.

As a New Yorker who can literally see the cruise ships from my office window (always so jealous when I see the Disney ships!), I’d advise a cab from LGA and a hotel near Broadway, 7th Ave, or 8th Ave in the 50s. Close to Times Square, Broadway, and Central Park. Not the cheapest, but a great way to see NYC and very close to the cruise terminal.
As a former New Yorker I wouldn’t stay near Times Square if you paid me. I would stay closer to park ave or Lexington and then about 50s or above. We also try to only use the green line on the subway and walk from there. Not always easy. But the subway has gotten so disgusting. We were there 2 times last year for dh work. We take a taxi from the airport and back. We do a lot of walking.

I'm looking into the 10/7 NYC to Bermuda cruise. We've only cruised out of Florida previously, are the seas rough at all going from NYC? I don't think we have seasick issues but I'm just curious.
They can be. We've done two NYC departures, via the Magic. On the first NYC=>Bmda=>NYC cruise, the Captain took a less direct route to/from so as to avoid whatever storm was churning away. Missed a few hours port-time, but that's cruising sometimes.

And yes, to some extent, "the seas were angry my friend . . ."

They can be. We've done two NYC departures, via the Magic. On the first NYC=>Bmda=>NYC cruise, the Captain took a less direct route to/from so as to avoid whatever storm was churning away. Missed a few hours port-time, but that's cruising sometimes.

And yes, to some extent, "the seas were angry my friend . . ."

On our very first cruise in 2005 there had been a storm somewhere off of FL. The seas were so rough and we thought that’s what cruising was like all the time. We even asked at GS if it was always like this. Thankfully it was not. 😂😂😂

My mother's sailed from Boston to Bermuda, she said it was pretty choppy. But there was a storm swirling around the northeast, if I remember correctly.

I'm sailing NY to Bermuda next year on Norwegian and expecting it to be choppy so I'll be pleasantly surprised if it isn't.

As a former New Yorker I wouldn’t stay near Times Square if you paid me. I would stay closer to park ave or Lexington and then about 50s or above. We also try to only use the green line on the subway and walk from there. Not always easy. But the subway has gotten so disgusting. We were there 2 times last year for dh work. We take a taxi from the airport and back. We do a lot of walking.
omg yes the subway is horrific. Thats why I say Newark then the train into Moynihan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter