New Zealand 2022 reopening

Just checking if anyone on this this thread is going on one of the October departures? Looking for any food or activity recommendations for prenights in Auckland.

Just checking if anyone on this this thread is going on one of the October departures? Looking for any food or activity recommendations for prenights in Auckland.
We are on the second trip that starts 10/31. We are coming in several days early and usually schedule nothing for that first pre-day in case of flight delays or to get up to speed with the time difference. We have lists of ice cream shops, a Harley Davidson motorcycle tour, gardens and shows to visit (live theater two blocks from the hotel) if we are up for it and but will likely spend at least a half day exploring Queen street. (Our flight gets in about 5:15 am the first day. The hotel graciously moved our breakfast from the next day to this one, so we can eat upon arrival at the hotel) Our second pre-day we are spending the entire day with Bush & Beach for a tour and lunch at Hobbiton. The pickup is before the hotel breakfast opens, thus the move of the breakfast back a day. The first ABD day is dinner, so we have booked an excursion (again with Bush & Beach) to Piha Beach and rainforest on the opposite coast. We tried to come up with a way to make it to Cathedral Cove and the hot sands but logistically it is a completely full day and evening, which doesn't work for day one or three and we were not giving up on Hobbiton.

We have booked reservations in Auckland at Oyster & chop house on the other side of the viaduct harbor, Queenstown for Pedro's Lamb House (no longer seating in Christchurch) for that evening, tea at Blue Ice and dinner at Alice May at Franz Josef following our Franz Josepf/mount cook/fox glacier landing helicopter tour. In Queenstown we are skipping a sit down dinner to go paragliding. Last full day we are hoping to convince our group to take a 30 minute pause on the e-bike tour at Kawarau Suspension Bridge, also known as Bungy Bridge for jumping. Otherwise, we'll come back for this. Post trip (last day of the ABD where there is nothing scheduled), we have the Milford sound by land, sea and air booked for the day and evening, with hotel pickup at 6:45 am. (That's a long day) with a sleep in the next day for a 3 pm departure home. We found nothing but positive reviews and information on restaurants and activities so we are playing a number of meals by ear and nose. This worked extremely well in both England and France earlier this year - and our best English meals were found this way. In France, there were no bad meals. Even a E5 ham and cheese sandwich was more divine than almost anything I've ever eaten.

As NZ was just starting to reopen many things, especially activities, we considered were not (and are still not) available...our advice is to make a decision and book. There was one single tour to swim into Cathedral Cove and play on the hot sands we could have pulled off with our schedule, but it was fully booked out five months early, remains full, and they won't take a wait list.

We have our NZ visa, paid all the fees, have the NZ Traveller Pass with QR codes and are ready to go! (Word of advice - the Traveller Pass requires you to give the address at which you are staying for the duration of your visit. Umm, duration? What? We tried a number of things but finally listed just the first hotel and their phone number and that went through fine. Also, as you are completing these NZ online forms, visas, etc., be patient. It takes a little time sometimes for your response to be received in New Zealand and for them to send you the next page....it is of course almost 10,000 miles away...)

With what now appears to be a stable flight schedule, packing has commenced. We've updated our performance gear and rain gear (Thanks Duluth Trading) as temperature ranges are all over the place. 10 degrees plus wind on top of the glacier, Auckland with ranges from 45-70 degrees and the South Island all over the place. 24 days until departure. Three days of travel to get there. One very very long day to get home.

Last edited:

I read this & wondered how the heck I missed this in the itinerary! Then I realized you must have booked this for during the on your own time. :)
Yep - the helicopter pad is only a few blocks from the hotel in this tiny village. Mt. Cook is the highest mountain in New Zealand. 35 years ago we took our honeymoon and spent time in Glacier National Park. All the glaciers we saw and visited are gone. We wanted to return to a glacier to celebrate making it this far in life - another mountaintop experience. This ABD day ends around 1:30 in the afternoon and this very much seemed like the thing to do.

We are on the second trip that starts 10/31. We are coming in several days early and usually schedule nothing for that first pre-day in case of flight delays or to get up to speed with the time difference. We have lists of ice cream shops, a Harley Davidson motorcycle tour, gardens and shows to visit (live theater two blocks from the hotel) if we are up for it and but will likely spend at least a half day exploring Queen street. (Our flight gets in about 5:15 am the first day. The hotel graciously moved our breakfast from the next day to this one, so we can eat upon arrival at the hotel) Our second pre-day we are spending the entire day with Bush & Beach for a tour and lunch at Hobbiton. The pickup is before the hotel breakfast opens, thus the move of the breakfast back a day. The first ABD day is dinner, so we have booked an excursion (again with Bush & Beach) to Piha Beach and rainforest on the opposite coast. We tried to come up with a way to make it to Cathedral Cove and the hot sands but logistically it is a completely full day and evening, which doesn't work for day one or three and we were not giving up on Hobbiton.

We have booked reservations in Auckland at Oyster & chop house on the other side of the viaduct harbor, Queenstown for Pedro's Lamb House (no longer seating in Christchurch) for that evening, tea at Blue Ice and dinner at Alice May at Franz Josef following our Franz Josepf/mount cook/fox glacier landing helicopter tour. In Queenstown we are skipping a sit down dinner to go paragliding. Last full day we are hoping to convince our group to take a 30 minute pause on the e-bike tour at Kawarau Suspension Bridge, also known as Bungy Bridge for jumping. Otherwise, we'll come back for this. Post trip (last day of the ABD where there is nothing scheduled), we have the Milford sound by land, sea and air booked for the day and evening, with hotel pickup at 6:45 am. (That's a long day) with a sleep in the next day for a 3 pm departure home. We found nothing but positive reviews and information on restaurants and activities so we are playing a number of meals by ear and nose. This worked extremely well in both England and France earlier this year - and our best English meals were found this way. In France, there were no bad meals. Even a E5 ham and cheese sandwich was more divine than almost anything I've ever eaten.

As NZ was just starting to reopen many things, especially activities, we considered were not (and are still not) available...our advice is to make a decision and book. There was one single tour to swim into Cathedral Cove and play on the hot sands we could have pulled off with our schedule, but it was fully booked out five months early, remains full, and they won't take a wait list.

We have our NZ visa, paid all the fees, have the NZ Traveller Pass with QR codes and are ready to go! (Word of advice - the Traveller Pass requires you to give the address at which you are staying for the duration of your visit. Umm, duration? What? We tried a number of things but finally listed just the first hotel and their phone number and that went through fine. Also, as you are completing these NZ online forms, visas, etc., be patient.
Oops accidentally posted while I was trying to cut the quote down! Not easy on mu
phone. Anyways I was wondering if you have any idea how much cash we will need since you’ve done so much research. We are also on the Oct 31st trip. Thanks!

Oops accidentally posted while I was trying to cut the quote down! Not easy on mu
phone. Anyways I was wondering if you have any idea how much cash we will need since you’ve done so much research. We are also on the Oct 31st trip. Thanks!
We take credit cards that waive the foreign transaction fees and use these almost exclusively. Obviously, cash is needed for guide tips, etc., but our credit union debit card works for ATM withdrawals as needed, also with no foreign transaction fees. New Zealand is VERY expensive, but the exchange rate right now is incredible - One NZ dollar equals about 56 cents US, so a $35 dinner is $19.60.

We take credit cards that waive the foreign transaction fees and use these almost exclusively. Obviously, cash is needed for guide tips, etc., but our credit union debit card works for ATM withdrawals as needed, also with no foreign transaction fees. New Zealand is VERY expensive, but the exchange rate right now is incredible - One NZ dollar equals about 56 cents US, so a $35 dinner is $19.60.
Thanks. We use credit cards in Europe and US. Wasn’t sure about NZ/Aus. I’m planning on using pay pal to tip the guides.

We have our NZ visa, paid all the fees, have the NZ Traveller Pass with QR codes and are ready to go! (Word of advice - the Traveller Pass requires you to give the address at which you are staying for the duration of your visit. Umm, duration? What? We tried a number of things but finally listed just the first hotel and their phone number and that went through fine. Also, as you are completing these NZ online forms, visas, etc., be patient. It takes a little time sometimes for your response to be received in New Zealand and for them to send you the next page....it is of course almost 10,000 miles away...)

With what now appears to be a stable flight schedule, packing has commenced. We've updated our performance gear and rain gear (Thanks Duluth Trading) as temperature ranges are all over the place. 10 degrees plus wind on top of the glacier, Auckland with ranges from 45-70 degrees and the South Island all over the place. 24 days until departure. Three days of travel to get there. One very very long day to get home.
What time is the welcome dinner and reception on the first day? I’m going in December and wanted to do the Bush & Beach excursion to Piha Beach and the rainforest, but the vacationista thought I would be late for the welcome reception and dinner based on the tour ending at 5:30pm.

What time is the welcome dinner and reception on the first day? I’m going in December and wanted to do the Bush & Beach excursion to Piha Beach and the rainforest, but the vacationista thought I would be late for the welcome reception and dinner based on the tour ending at 5:30pm.
I was told it starts at 5pm. So you would be arriving late if on that tour.

There are some half day tours to that area offered by NZ guides on Tours by Locals, where you could select a morning departure time, if you want to check them out.

https://www.toursbylocals.com/Auckland-Tours

We are doing this side trip and so we will be a bit late for the reception. I think of the 7 ABD trips we've been on only once was everyone there for the reception on time. We have always been there and usually one of the first to arrive as we are fastidious on time, and don't want to slow a group or delay things. On these AO trips we get to know everyone very very quickly - always a good group and always fun. My wife doesn't drink and the receptions make her a little uncomfortable, so we are skipping most of this one for the first time. The return time for the Piha Beach is approximate, but likely a little earlier than published. When I inquired of Vacationista Karen back in April for timing I was told dinner is served at 6.

Last edited:
I was curious if anyone going on the December NZ ABDs has purchased airline tickets? If so - how are you getting back to the US from Queenstown? We are planning to fly back to Auckland on Jan 2 but there would only be a 2 hour layover to catch our flight back to the US.

We aren't comfortable with such a short layover due to work/school concerns, so we are thinking to fly back to Auckland one day early and miss the last afternoon/evening. Curious if anyone else is in the same boat?
I hope you don't skip the last day/dinner. We've now fully researched what is going on and it looks fabulous. Additional flights to Auckland or otherwise have likely opened up since July - otherwise consider staying an extra day. We have three hours from arrival in Auckland to departure in Auckland, with baggage and such already checked through.

Last edited:
how are you getting back to the US from Queenstown? We are planning to fly back to Auckland on Jan 2 but there would only be a 2 hour layover to catch our flight back to the US.

The Auckland airport has two physically separated terminals: domestic and international. There appears to be a bus between the two. Apparently airlines consider 1.5 hours to be an acceptable connection time, but since one must leave the domestic terminal, transit to the international terminal, then get through security and customs to enter the international terminal, I would want more time for that connection

I hope you don't skip the last day/dinner. We've now fully researched what is going on and it looks fabulous. Additional flights to Auckland or otherwise have likely opened up since July - otherwise consider staying an extra day. We have three hours from arrival in Auckland to departure in Auckland, with baggage and such already checked through.
Thanks- unfortunately between school and work we don’t have the luxury of staying an extra day.

We are arriving in Auckland a few days early before the 12/22 tour to give us time to adjust to the time zone change. Decided to miss the last day’s activities and fly back to Auckland on 1/1.

I’m sure the last day activities will be wonderful but this is right decision for our family at this point in our lives.

Thanks- unfortunately between school and work we don’t have the luxury of staying an extra day.

We are arriving in Auckland a few days early before the 12/22 tour to give us time to adjust to the time zone change. Decided to miss the last day’s activities and fly back to Auckland on 1/1.

I’m sure the last day activities will be wonderful but this is right decision for our family at this point in our lives.
Life is always a never ending balance! Stay safe!

“Great to know! We are heading to NZ on the December trip and I need to eat gluten free.

Hope you had a wonderful trip. Please post any advice on packing, etc if you are able to. We tend to pack
light and anticipate doing laundry once.”

@Travel junkie- I’m going to reply here in the NZ thread so as not to turn the Gluten Free into a parallel NZ thread.

Best advice I can give for packing is pack layers. We are here in spring, so are getting everything from pouring down rain one day to 72F and sunny a couple of days later, followed by cooler and drizzle, with some breezes thrown in. And that is just in the first five days and only on the North island. I am expecting cooler weather when we get to the South Island in a couple of days as we’ll be up in the mountains.

I’ve found our US weather.com to not be too helpful. It’s temp projections seem to be off from what we are experiencing. I found the site below - it is the NZ weather service, seems equivalent to our NOAA site forecast.weather.gov and has been pretty accurate both in terms of temp and precipitation, both amount and when it will happen. They also have an app. I‘m using it daily while here.

https://www.metservice.com/national

While you will be there in the summer in December, there are some times when temps will be cooler or windy, ie sailing or the glow worm caves, and I imagine in Franz Josef by the glacier. You may want longer sleeves for some of the zip lining though the guides are in short sleeves. So lots of things you can layer up or down as needed, and a light jacket or windbreaker even in summer.

Also, there have been some times when closed toed shoes are needed, so pack something more than flip flops or sandals. And one day where we had to remove our shoes, when we visited the Māori marae or communal house/ sacred place.

I’ll let you know if there are any other hints after we get round the South island. I think you will enjoy the trip - New Zealand is wonderful and beautiful and the people are so nice.

Edit to add - forgot two things. First, bring sunscreen even if you are one who doesn’t use it or seldom uses it. There is a hole in the ozone layer above NZ which makes the sun more intense all the time, even on cloudy days. Everyone stresses using sun screen all the time, including the locals. Second, NZ being a small island country, recycling and reducing single use plastic is big here. To support that, AbD will not have their usual cases of water on the bus. The tap water is good and very safe to drink. One of your pre-departure AbD gifts for this trip is an aluminum water bottle; either bring that or something similar along, or else AbD will give you a colorful aluminum bottle here to use and take home if you’re like me (and most of the others) and didn’t bring the gift bottle along. So plan for that in your luggage at some point.

Last edited:
“Great to know! We are heading to NZ on the December trip and I need to eat gluten free.

Hope you had a wonderful trip. Please post any advice on packing, etc if you are able to. We tend to pack
light and anticipate doing laundry once.”

@Travel junkie- I’m going to reply here in the NZ thread so as not to turn the Gluten Free into a parallel NZ thread.

Best advice I can give for packing is pack layers. We are here in spring, so are getting everything from pouring down rain one day to 72F and sunny a couple of days later, followed by cooler and drizzle, with some breezes thrown in. And that is just in the first five days and only on the North island. I am expecting cooler weather when we get to the South Island in a couple of days as we’ll be up in the mountains.

I’ve found our US weather.com to not be too helpful. It’s temp projections seem to be off from what we are experiencing. I found the site below - it is the NZ weather service, seems equivalent to our NOAA site forecast.weather.gov and has been pretty accurate both in terms of temp and precipitation, both amount and when it will happen. They also have an app. I‘m using it daily while here.

https://www.metservice.com/national

While you will be there in the summer in December, there are some times when temps will be cooler or windy, ie sailing or the glow worm caves, and I imagine in Franz Josef by the glacier. You may want longer sleeves for some of the zip lining though the guides are in short sleeves. So lots of things you can layer up or down as needed, and a light jacket or windbreaker even in summer.

Also, there have been some times when closed toed shoes are needed, so pack something more than flip flops or sandals. And one day where we had to remove our shoes, when we visited the Māori marae or communal house/ sacred place.

I’ll let you know if there are any other hints after we get round the South island. I think you will enjoy the trip - New Zealand is wonderful and beautiful and the people are so nice.

Edit to add - forgot two things. First, bring sunscreen even if you are one who doesn’t use it or seldom uses it. There is a hole in the ozone layer above NZ which makes the sun more intense all the time, even on cloudy days. Everyone stresses using sun screen all the time, including the locals. Second, NZ being a small island country, recycling and reducing single use plastic is big here. To support that, AbD will not have their usual cases of water on the bus. The tap water is good and very safe to drink. One of your pre-departure AbD gifts for this trip is an aluminum water bottle; either bring that or something similar along, or else AbD will give you a colorful aluminum bottle here to use and take home if you’re like me (and most of the others) and didn’t bring the gift bottle along. So plan for that in your luggage at some point.
Thank you! Appreciate you taking the time to give these details. I’ll add those items to our packing list. Enjoy your trip ☺️.

So excited…just got my NZeTA today. The process was a lot easier than I thought it would be based on what I was reading online. Definitely download the mobile app and apply using it. You only have four steps (scan passport, take photo, pay fee, and answer questions). Although they say it can take 72 hours, it took about 1 min for my approval to come through. Try to complete the process during NZ time regular hours (I did it in the afternoon EST) to minimize possible issues with the app not working. When you scan your passport, you are only scanning the bottom two lines where the letter and number sequence identifiers are— the lines will turn green when you scan it properly— it took a couple tries for me to figure out why it wasn’t scanning. Below are some of the links I found helpful in completing the process:

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/about-visa/nzeta

https://nzeta.immigration.govt.nz/

The detailed photo requirements really freaked me out until I realized I could take a selfie, just not using the mirror. If you use the mobile app, you have to take the picture using your phone. If you apply online, you can upload a photo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter