New Zealand October-November 2022 Trip report

Grifdog22

Barking Mad!
This is a preview of Kiwi country.

My DW and I are sitting in our hotel suite in Queenstown looking out onto Lake Wakatipu after concluding a fabulous "post day" trip to Milford Sound by bus, boat and air. It was perfect weather and we depart tomorrow. Mathmagicland was also on this tour, and she departed today. As often happens in small group travel, we made some new friends. Provided the Southern Cross guides us home, Mathmagicland and I are going to do a full and complete trip report as a team. Give us a little time to get home and get organized (thousands of pictures to review and yes the colors are real and not retouched). As Mathmagicland and I live on opposite sides of the USA this trip report will also reflect the spirit of unity found in the very diverse people of New Zealand. We agree this ABD trip in its current form is a home run, five stars, all three Michelin stars (if they rated travel generally) with the expert guides of two well known and incomparables - Kira and Victoria.

So travel fans, consider this your first preview...and understand that New Zealand is where the skies kiss and bless the lands. This trip in its current form is like a waterfall - never ceasing, never slowing, beautiful and majestical. ABD for this version of the trip returned to its original roots with total immersion into the New Zealand culture. This includes hearing from very different corners of the nation, breaking bread with some of these proud people, exploring with the kiwis their lands and their traditions, and sharing their joy in the flora and fauna that bless this part of the world.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown-2.jpeg

Last edited:
This is a preview of Kiwi country.

My DW and I are sitting in our hotel suite in Queenstown looking out onto Lake Wakatipu after concluding a fabulous "post day" trip to Milford Sound by bus, boat and air. It was perfect weather and we depart tomorrow. Mathmagicland was also on this tour, and she departed today. As often happens in small group travel, we made some new friends. Provided the Southern Cross guides us home, Mathmagicland and I are going to do a full and complete trip report as a team. Give us a little time to get home and get organized (thousands of pictures to review and yes the colors are real and not retouched). As Mathmagicland and I live on opposite sides of the USA this trip report will also reflect the spirit of unity found in the very diverse people of New Zealand. We agree this ABD trip in its current form is a home run, five stars, all three Michelin stars (if they rated travel generally) with the expert guides of two well known and incomparables - Kira and Victoria.

So travel fans, consider this your first preview...and understand that New Zealand is where the skies kiss and bless the lands. This trip in its current form is like a waterfall - never ceasing, never slowing, beautiful and majestical. ABD for this version of the trip returned to its original roots with total immersion into the New Zealand culture. This includes hearing from very different corners of the nation, breaking bread with some of these proud people, exploring with the kiwis their lands and their traditions, and sharing their joy in the flora and fauna that bless this part of the world.

View attachment 717960View attachment 717961
So looking forward to your trip report (and Hi to Mathmagicland-- we traveled with her in Japan!)....we are going in March, so under the current planned itinerary. Tips/suggestions please! We are doing a post day and booked a Milford Sound trip-- sounds like the same one. So glad to hear it went so well!!

Following along and looking forward to the trip report.

Kia Ora, and Welcome to the Grifdog22 & Mathmagicland trip report for the 10/31/2022 New Zealand Adventure! Our goal is to get this finished before the December departures…let’s see if we make it. We think you’ll really enjoy this trip! The people are very friendly and welcoming, and the country is beautiful! As we go along, you’ll likely see a lot of repetitive adjectives like Awesome, Amazing, Beautiful, etc…because that’s what all on our trip kept saying. Each time we thought it could get no better, it did on the next day.

We’ll start the first three posts with some general hints, tips & insights from our trip, to help you either finish up or start your trip planning & packing. We want to get these posted as soon as possible.

New Zealand just started limited opening up to tourism in July. We did not see a lot of crowds yet, and they are trying to ramp up for the larger numbers of summer travelers. For anyone who traveled the USA last summer 2021, you may recall hotels and restaurants struggling to find help, short staffed, shorter opening hours, some national parks overwhelmed, etc. Nearly every shop and restaurant we passed had signs up that they were hiring people. Service may be slower, or some restaurants not open for lunch or dinner or closed on some days. At one shop in Queenstown, the manager said they’d normally have 44 on staff rotating shifts; right now they only have 6. We’d see hotel housekeeping carts around the halls later into the afternoon; you can help out by foregoing housekeeping on those two-night hotel stays if possible.

Miscellaneous –

The pre-trip AbD box of gifts arrived about a week before departure, without the usual duffle bag. It contains a nice backpack made from recycled plastic bottles, with a zipper top, large mesh inside zipper pocket and water bottle pockets on each side. The box also has one aluminum water bottle per traveler. If you don’t bring the water bottles along, AbD guides will give each person a reusable water bottle to use for the trip. Unlike typical AbDs where there are always cases of water on the bus, since NZ is very Eco-conscious, Disney is supporting that with the reusable bottles. NZ tap water is very clean and safe to drink. The only time we had bottled water on the bus was a couple of longer travel days during Week 2, when there were limited or no places to refill bottles at the stops we made along the way.

AbD NZ gift 1.jpg AbD NZ gift 2.jpg

Bus – the bus was very nice and comfortable! While 21 were booked for our trip, we had only 15 who were able to travel, so we had lots of space. Here’s a picture of the inside of our bus; larger groups will have a bus with two seats on each side of the aisle. Also, NZ law requires wearing seat belts while on the bus. In the second week, while traveling to and along the west coast, a couple of the bus ride days are longer (plenty of stops) and roads windy (or twisty as they say in NZ). If you need something like Dramamine for travel days like that, bring it along or you can pick up something at a chemist shop in NZ. The guides were good about sharing the night before, when we’d be having the longer, windy bus rides so people could be aware. The bus has one USB port at each seat.

NZ bus 3.jpg NZ bus interior.jpg

Masks - Masks were only required at the Maori marae/communal house visit in Rotorua. Some folks on our trip wore masks while on the bus or inside some of the buildings, while others did not.

Sunscreen and bug spray – the ozone layer is thinner above NZ, so sunscreen is critical to avoid a painful burn. Guides will have some and you can also pick it up at a Chemist, but you may want to bring your own sunscreen and lip balm. Bug spray will be needed along the west coast during the second week, to help with the sand flies which we hear are very annoying and their bites, while not painful, are very itchy. Again, the guides will have some spray but you may prefer your own. *** check NZ immigration restrictions to be sure you can bring in what you want; I don’t know if this is a restricted item. Another sunscreen possibility from @Grifdog22 – lightweight performance wear shirts both short & long sleeve, with SPF built into the fabric; Duluth Trading Post is one source for these.

Clothing – Baseball caps are OK most of time; there are a couple of times when a hat that has an under the chin strap or a clip that can attach to clothing would be better (sailing and the jet boat or really windy days) so it isn’t lost. A lightweight/wind proof rain jacket is good to have; it was seldom cold enough for anything heavier except when we got to the Franz Josef areas. Layers are always good. Long sleeves will be helpful in the sand fly areas and were recommended by the guides on two or three days. Sand flies, which swarm like gnats, are more prevalent in areas where there is water and warmer weather.

Shoes - closed toed shoes are required for a few activities. Some activities or stops include hikes though trails and forest areas with uneven surfaces, narrow and rocky trails, with exposed tree roots and dirt surfaces, so you might prefer something with a sturdier sole for some traction. @Grifdog22, who has a lot more hiking experience, suggests hiking boots for the ankle support if needed. Be aware, if you do some on your own touring in the days before the AbD starts that includes the northern and western Auckland area, specifically in the Waitakere Ranges Regional Park, be aware you will have to spray a disinfectant on the soles of your shoes before entering the park trails and again when exiting, to help prevent disease spread to the Kauri trees, as it is pretty rampant in some areas. I was wearing Skechers hiking shoes & had no issues; @Grifdog22 was on a different tour & the disinfectant spray seemed to eat away at the soles of his hiking boots as they separated from the boot (we think his tour guide saturated his boots more than my guide sprayed mine). With some super glue from the convenience store across from the Auckland hotel, he was able to make them last through the rest of the trip.

In the Maori marae visit, you will be asked to remove your shoes.

Wine – if you think you might want to bring some wine back, as we visit two wineries, pack some of the plastic wine bottle carriers made especially for luggage. We never found these for sale. There is an NZ Post in Franz Josef that sells bubble wrap which can be used for any wine purchased on Waiheke Island, or future wine purchase at Gibbson Valley Winery.

Forget anything? There is a small market across the street from the Auckland hotel, which is well-stocked with a little bit of everything. It is open from 6am – 10pm so very convenient. Chemists (pharmacies) and grocery type markets or convenience stores can be found around towns.

Something I wish I’d brought along – a lighter smaller backpack, ie packable nylon or string bag, for the hikes & walks. I didn’t always need something big like the AbD gift backpack, when we’d only be hiking or walking and were off the bus for only an hour or so. I wanted something to hold water, and maybe a light jacket or my cross-body bag.

Laundry – first place you can do laundry at a hotel is Franz Josef. They have two washers and two dryers, open 24 hours but you have to get tokens at the front desk which is only open until 10pm. Cost is $5NZ for one wash, one dry, and a packet of laundry powder. The hotel in Queenstown also has a guest laundry. They have three washers and three dryers; cost is $4 for a wash, $1 for a dry, and $2 for a box of detergent; you will need NZ $1 and $2 coins in this laundry room.

Disney accounts access – if you have Disney+, your app content will not be the same as in the US; it is based on what is available in NZ because you are using NZ IP addresses to access it. If you have Disney Movie Insiders, you cannot log in to enter any promo codes, as DMI is not available in NZ so log-in access is blocked using NZ IP addresses.

Weather – use MetService, the New Zealand Weather service – it is great! We found it to be very accurate, moreso than a US based service like weather.com. Here is a link to their website; you can also download their app. I used their app multiple times a day.

MetService - Te Ratonga Tirorangi

Cash vs Card – repeating a post in the planning thread here, in case folks are only reading this report. New Zealand is mostly credit cards; some places also accept Apple Pay. There are some places that will add a 2% surcharge for using the card. A couple of smaller vendors may only accept cash. One of our short break stops was in the mountains, where internet for the business was spotty and the guides suggested using cash to pay for anything as the vendor sometimes couldn’t get reliable service for a card transaction. In addition, our AbD Local Guide, Victoria, is not set up on Pay Pal or Venmo, so her gratuity must be paid in cash; I don’t know if all local NZ guides will be the same situation. I wasn’t expecting that so had to make a quick rush to an ATM on the last day as I’d not asked her before then. ATMs are plentiful.

Here is some info about the airport experiences – we both ended up on the same Air New Zealand (ANZ) non-stop flight out of Los Angeles, so can’t speak to how this might work in other US airports.

Airlines and airports -

Flights to Auckland
–If you start your journey in LA & flying Air New Zealand, or are checking luggage again in LA, be aware that ANZ does not participate in TSA Pre-check. You will be going through the regular security lines. If you are transiting through LA on the same booking code where your luggage is checked through to Auckland and you simply change terminals in LA, you can walk from your LAX arrival terminal to the Tom Bradley International Terminal behind airport security and will not have to go through TSA again.

Also, ANZ opens their LAX ticket counters and bag drop at 4:50 PM for an 8:15 PM departure. Arriving around that time, there long lines for both boarding passes and bag drop if self-printing your luggage tags. Arrive 30 minutes later and the lines will be much shorter. One last ANZ tip – they did not accept electronic boarding passes, ie in Apple Wallet. Whether you check in at the airport or print your bag tags after checking in online, you will get a paper boarding pass which must be used.

EDIT 12/6 - ANZ is now on a biometric boarding pass at LAX as of late November.

Internal AbD flight Rotorua to Christchurch – Disney handles the booking; you will be allowed one checked bag per person. If you want to check a second bag, you are responsible for the additional charge to do so. Rotorua airport is very small. You will self-print your bag tag, then walk over to the bag drop, scan your bag tag and drop it on the conveyor for loading onto the plane. There is an ANZ rep who oversees this step and can answer questions. There is no other security at Rotorua – you can take liquids through with no issues, ie water or bottles of wine, as you move directly to the small waiting area. You’re allowed one personal item and one small carryon for the plane – while ANZ says the carryon cannot exceed 7kg (15 lbs) our AbD guide says she’s not yet seen any carryon bags weighed.

The plane to Christchurch has a bit smaller overhead bins. I have an international sized carryon (17x7.5x13.5) and it fit without any problems. Backpacks and the AbD duffles fit OK also. However, someone in our group had a bigger US sized carryon and it was a very tight fit to get it in and then out of the overhead bin. For the checked bags, you have to drop them off yourself and pick them up on the carousel in Christchurch, and then wheel them to the bus parked outside. It is a short walk, maybe 5-6 minutes, to the bus.

The airport building -

NZ RR airport building.jpg

The waiting area for all gates, and the check-in area

NZ RR gates.jpg NZ rr interior.jpg

Flights back to the US from Queenstown through Auckland – If you don’t have a phone plan that includes NZ, this is the day to get a day pass for international service as you’ll want to be on top of any possible changes. Also, be sure to check your return ANZ flights frequently for any changes during that last travel day & day before. More than one family had flights canceled & rescheduled or departure times changed.

My flight ended up delayed three times, for a final total departure delay of over 90 minutes; my 3+ hours between flights in Auckland ended up to be just about 1.5 hours. For @Grifdog22, their afternoon flight the next day was moved to morning so all their morning plans before departure had to be canceled & Disney notified of the need for an earlier transport time to the Queenstown airport. ANZ is a great airline & I’d fly them again; remember, they are still ramping up services as the USA was last summer & earlier this year.

One other tip from @Grifdog22 – also allow at least 3 hours, or more, for connections in the US if your first US stop is not your last. He & DW had allowed three hours to connect for their second US flight to home; between a late arrival from Auckland and extremely long, slow time through passport control plus a long walk & another security check for the domestic flight, they missed their second US flight & had to be rebooked on the next one out. It made for a very long travel day for them!

At Queenstown airport, the restaurants & shops are before the airport security point. After security, there is only a small snack bar selling a few things to drink; so eat before you go through security.We’d suggest at least two hours between your Queenstown to Auckland flight and your Auckland to USA flight on your return travel day.

Auckland airport has separate domestic and international terminal buildings, with a bus or a 15-minute walk in between them. The walk is easy to follow as it is a bright, wide green line painted on the pavement, mostly covered but open when crossing the streets. If your reservation is ticketed through to the US on the same booking code, you will not have to collect your checked luggage in between flights as it will be checked through to your final or first US destination. If you’ve got separate booking codes, you will collect your luggage in Domestic and then recheck it in International at Auckland. Either way, you will go through TSA-type security again. if you are interested in bringing back Manuka honey, which seemed pretty popular, be aware honey is considered a liquid and subject to the 3-oz/100ml rule. So, either put it in your checked luggage or purchase it in the duty-free shop at the Auckland airport after you are through the international terminal security; otherwise it will be confiscated (which we heard happened to someone on the first AbD NZ departure).

Once in Auckland airport, as you make it to the international terminal building, you’ll see a board with each airline and associated Zones A – E; those are for checking luggage or getting boarding passes. If you don’t need to check bags again, go past the last one, Zone A, and then head up the escalators on the right in the middle of the building. This will take you to the security level and departure gates. Watch for the security lines for some nations including USA; you can scan your passport & go without having airport security check your passport. After security, you will first hit an area with a food court and some shops; if you need to eat or shop, do so here as nothing was open once we headed up to the departure gates.

While in NZ, you will see Whittakers Chocolate a lot, and the guides will have some samples on the bus. This is a classic NZ chocolate brand that has been around since 1896 and is VERY good (just look at how much I brought back!). For those traveling in the warmer months, you may not want to purchase it along the way if you plan to take it home, as it may melt in the warmer weather. Not to worry – there is a huge Whittakers shop in the Auckland airport, just before heading up to the departure gates. They have everything Whittakers makes here, including flavor and package options not found in any of the shops or stores at other points in the trip. A web search may show it as temporarily closed, but it is open for the afternoon & evening international departures.

Whittaker's | Auckland Airport

Also note, it is a longer than expected walk to the Auckland departure gates from this food court/shops/airport lounges area. It took at almost 10 minutes to walk it, and there is a Passport/boarding pass check a couple of gates away for any flights to the US. (I think this used to be where they also did the check for the no longer required Covid tests, as some signage had been taped over) and a line can back up a bit here. So head to the gate at least 20 minutes before boarding time; the airport flights signage will suggest when to start heading to the gates & it was about that timeframe.

Last edited:
Here is some general hotel info; we will have pictures and specific differences in our trip report posts.

HOTELS – we stay at five different hotels – Auckland, Rotorua, Christchurch, Franz Josef, and Queenstown.

Elevators & floors – the ground floor is Floor 0, not Floor 1

Each hotel provided two robes in the room. All but Queenstown also had two pairs of slippers; Queenstown has sleep socks, to help reduce the used hotel slippers in their landfills. All rooms had laptop-size safes.

For coffee drinkers, there was a Keurig-type coffee maker in each room. There was also a separate hot water pot for tea or hot chocolate. This equipment may be on a counter, or may be in a drawer. In each hotel, the supplies of coffee, tea, cups, spoons, etc, were found in a drawer; milk for coffee is in the refrigerators.

Only the Hyatt in Auckland has mini-bar items in the hotel room. Hyatt in Auckland also had water, glass bottles in the fridge and plastic bottles in the bathroom. Only the plastic water bottles in the bathroom were complimentary, and were replaced as used if you had housekeeping in the room, or you could call the front desk to get more if you were skipping housekeeping.

Auckland had the most USB ports and outlets in the room; Christchurch had three USB ports and Rotorua only had two USB ports. Franz Josef and Queenstown didn’t have any USB ports in the rooms and fewer outlets. So, be prepared to use outlets with a plug adapter (with voltage converter if needed) to charge your devices in the hotels. Each outlet has an individual on/off switch you will need to switch on to use. In the Pic below, the outlet on the left is ‘off’ and the one on the right is ‘on’. Also, in Queenstown, your key card (or the three business-size cards in your key envelope work too) needs to be inserted into a slot by the door for the lights in the room to work, similar to on the DCL Dream, Fantasy, and Wish.

NZ outlet.jpg

Auckland and Rotorua had mini bottles of toiletries; other three hotels had pump bottles like you see on Disney Cruise line and in some Disney hotels.

The showers and tubs did not have non-slip surfaces, and no grab bars. So, be careful on those slippery wet floors! If you’ve got someone prone to slipping, you may want to pick up some of those old-school rubber shower flipflop shoes for the bathrooms. Only time I saw a grab bar was in Franz Josef, where my room had a tub (some had showers only) and the tub was deep enough to require the grab bar to get into it. The Queenstown hotel bathroom has tiles that are a bit textured so there was a less-slick surface, but still no grab bars. Still on the topic of bathrooms, water pressure was strong and the hot water was VERY hot! Be careful you don’t burn yourself; test the temp before stepping underneath the shower.

Let us know if you have any questions about the general information.

Closing these info posts out with a couple of sheep pictures, because the sheep are so gosh darn cute! More to come with our actual trip posts, so stay tuned!

lamb 1.jpg Sheep 1.jpg

Off to a great start! That's quite a bit of useful information you guys have shared!

Sayhello

Here is some general hotel info; we will have pictures and specific differences in our trip report posts.

HOTELS – we stay at five different hotels – Auckland, Rotorua, Christchurch, Franz Josef, and Queenstown.

Elevators & floors – the ground floor is Floor 0, not Floor 1

Each hotel provided two robes in the room. All but Queenstown also had two pairs of slippers; Queenstown has sleep socks, to help reduce the used hotel slippers in their landfills. All rooms had laptop-size safes.

For coffee drinkers, there was a Keurig-type coffee maker in each room. There was also a separate hot water pot for tea or hot chocolate. This equipment may be on a counter, or may be in a drawer. In each hotel, the supplies of coffee, tea, cups, spoons, etc, were found in a drawer; milk for coffee is in the refrigerators.

Only the Hyatt in Auckland has mini-bar items in the hotel room. Hyatt in Auckland also had water, glass bottles in the fridge and plastic bottles in the bathroom. Only the plastic water bottles in the bathroom were complimentary, and were replaced as used if you had housekeeping in the room, or you could call the front desk to get more if you were skipping housekeeping.

Auckland had the most USB ports and outlets in the room; Christchurch had three USB ports and Rotorua only had two USB ports. Franz Josef and Queenstown didn’t have any USB ports in the rooms and fewer outlets. So, be prepared to use outlets with a plug adapter (with voltage converter if needed) to charge your devices in the hotels. Each outlet has an individual on/off switch you will need to switch on to use. In the Pic below, the outlet on the left is ‘off’ and the one on the right is ‘on’. Also, in Queenstown, your key card (or the three business-size cards in your key envelope work too) needs to be inserted into a slot by the door for the lights in the room to work, similar to on the DCL Dream, Fantasy, and Wish.

View attachment 719314

Auckland and Rotorua had mini bottles of toiletries; other three hotels had pump bottles like you see on Disney Cruise line and in some Disney hotels.

The showers and tubs did not have non-slip surfaces, and no grab bars. So, be careful on those slippery wet floors! If you’ve got someone prone to slipping, you may want to pick up some of those old-school rubber shower flipflop shoes for the bathrooms. Only time I saw a grab bar was in Franz Josef, where my room had a tub (some had showers only) and the tub was deep enough to require the grab bar to get into it. The Queenstown hotel bathroom has tiles that are a bit textured so there was a less-slick surface, but still no grab bars. Still on the topic of bathrooms, water pressure was strong and the hot water was VERY hot! Be careful you don’t burn yourself; test the temp before stepping underneath the shower.

Let us know if you have any questions about the general information.

Closing these info posts out with a couple of sheep pictures, because the sheep are so gosh darn cute! More to come with our actual trip posts, so stay tuned!

View attachment 719315 View attachment 719316
Glad to know you had a great trip. This detailed report was so very helpful! We are getting more and more excited about December.

Arrival day = after a 13-hour flight from LA, we are finally in New Zealand (Aotearoa)! Auckland (Tāmaki Makaurau) at last! Our flight arrived at 05:45a.m., and we were at the hotel around 0730 after a drive in of about 25 minutes. Note this may be a longer drive on a weekday, with the commuter traffic heading into the city. Immigration & customs was a smooth process. We arrived two days early, leaving Thursday evening and arriving early Saturday morning after crossing the International Date Line. Our official AbD start was Monday. This gave us Saturday, Sunday, and most of the day Monday to explore on our own, before the AbD began.

We’d each reached out to AbD to request early check-in if possible; it is not guaranteed. We were fortunate that the Auckland Park Hyatt hotel was not sold out on Friday night, so we were each able to get into our rooms later that morning. And wow, what nice hotel rooms! These were the best rooms of the trip. This Hyatt just opened at the end of 2019, shortly before Covid lockdowns, so it felt like a brand-new hotel. The room had a large sleeping area with an adjacent table/eating area; a slider door/window that opened up to the waterfront; huge walk-in closet, large bathroom with a shower and soaking tub, separate toilet room, and a small entry area. The lighting system was also very high tech; I don’t know that anyone figured out all of the switch combos! (It still comes in second to the Peninsula in Toyko.) Here are some pics –

Hyatt 1.JPG

Hyatt 3.JPG

This hotel has a great location, within walking distance to couple of markets including one, Wynyard Market, just across the street, the ASB Waterfront theatre also across the street (check out the performance schedule here if interested in live theatre), and lots of shops & restaurants across the nearby pedestrian bridge (you can see our hotel in the background). There are also a few restaurants just a block down from the hotel, along the waterfront.

Ped Bridge.JPG

If you are considering using private tour companies anywhere in NZ during your time before or after the AbD, we’d encourage you to book sooner rather than later. Some companies are already taking bookings for 2023, and some are already fully booked on some days.

There are a lot of tour opportunities, many of which were not running when @Grifdog22 booked this AbD last year. Plan ahead. Most importantly, look at the logistics of what you want to do. Things are much more spread out than it appears. Auckland itself is 419 square miles. The Central Business District (aka CBD, which does not refer to cannabis stores as it does in California, and which had @Mathmagicland a bit confused at first – haha!) is 1.67 square miles. Due to the configuration of the city and roadways, you may be two miles as the crow flies from something cool but it is a four-hour drive away. It may be accessible by ferry, but the schedules often do not match the ferry schedules. Also, the Māori culture and language is seen and used everywhere, so it would be best to get accustomed to the bi-lingual approach as soon as possible.

The main Auckland public transportation hub is a 20-minute walk from the hotel, at the Britomart; from there, you can pick up any of the various transportation lines. You will need a HOP card to ride the busses; card cost is currently $5NZ at half price through the end of January 2023. They’ve got a great website and app to plan trips, have routes all over the city, have informative bus stops, and fares are not expensive. Best of all, you can get that HOP card and load it with a desired amount (minimum $5NZ fare to load) at the Wynyard Market across the street from the hotel.

Auckland Transport (at.govt.nz)

After breakfast at the hotel, which grifdog22 and DW thought was the best menu and spread of the trip, grifdog22 & DW headed out to explore the areas around the hotel. They walked around to see what was in the neighborhood, pick up a couple of things for early breakfast on Sunday, scoped out multiple ice cream stores, and sniffed out places to return to for eating. They also explored Queen Street shopping, and lots of the old historical areas. They also sat just outside the hotel and watched people use a marked swimming area in the viaduct harbor to swim and play with their dogs. Yes, the water is that clean. The decision on food was ultimately that you simply could not go wrong with any choice. The goal was to walk a lot and crash early for a jet lag cure.

GD 1 AD.jpg

GD 2 AD.jpg

GD 3 AD.jpg

@Mathmagicland headed out soon after breakfast also, getting the AT HOP card, and headed to Kelly Tarlton’s SeaLife Aquarium. Auckland Aquarium | SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton's Aquarium (visitsealife.com) I’d found this place in my research, and their Penguin Passport caught my eye – backstage and on the ice with their Antarctica King and Gentoo penguins. (In case you weren’t aware, Christchurch on the NZ South Island is a major place for scientists and countries to gather before heading down to Antarctica. The US has its Antarctic Program Base at the Christchurch airport.) Just say Penguins & I was all in! It only runs once a day, currently only on the weekends, and is limited to four people per session. It was very interesting and a lot of fun to have penguins walking up to us; however, due to construction there’s not much else to the rest of it right now. The Gentoos were most curious about people; the Kings kept their distance but were still amazing to see.

Penguins 1.JPG

Penguins 2.JPG

They also offer a shark cage experience. If you’re not doing one of the experiences, I wouldn’t recommend taking the time to head over there until more exhibits are open again. I was heading back to the Britomart in early afternoon, sooner than expected.

Since @Mathmagicland now had more time than expected in the afternoon, let's head over to the New Zealand Maritime Museum which is just over the pedestrian bridge and on the way back to the hotel from the Britomart, about 10-minute walk from the hotel. This was an unexpected gem! While some of the exhibits may not be as fancy as a larger museum, it is a wonderful museum and I learned a lot. My main reason for going – they have a large America’s Cup exhibit; NZ has won it four times, most recently last year 2021 in New Zealand. Since our AbD includes a sail on an America’s Cup yacht, I wanted to learn more about it. They also have nice exhibits on early Maori and Polynesian sailing and early immigrations to New Zealand via steamship. If you’re looking for an arrival day (or Monday before the AbD starts) activity that is nearby and doesn’t take a lot of time, this is a great choice. During our AbD time in Auckland, this museum was referenced by tour guides a couple of times, so I’m glad I had the chance to visit.

Maritime 2.jpg

Maritime 3.jpg

By this time, it was late afternoon & the day was catching up to all of us after a long flight, long day, little sleep, and what we knew would be an early start the next day. @Mathmagicland stopped by the Wynyard Market for some items for breakfast the next day, and headed back to the hotel. We still need to get some sleep, and get ready for….Hobbits!

Second pre-day

It is time for a Hobbit Adventure!

DW loves movies, especially Lord of The Rings. People said that NZ WAS Middle Earth… and that the movies filmed there were NOT enhanced. NZ is unquestionably the greenest place we have ever been. Once we confirmed our trip DW said to find Hobbiton — that movie set that Peter Jackson built twice. The second time he built it, he made the movie set a permanent place— part of the farm/countryside used for LOTR and later and most recently, the Hobbit trilogy. We booked the trip with Bush & Beach and were delighted that Mathmagicland, also a major LOTR and Hobbit trilogy fan, had done the same!

This was a very early morning departure for Hobbiton. As we had to leave before the hotel restaurant even opened, we each picked up breakfast items from the convenience market across the street the night before. There was a marathon scheduled to start that morning, and many streets in the CBD were closed for the race. Our hotel pickup was instead about a 15 minute walk in a light rain for a 6:45 am pickup. However, we had no way to cross some streets or work around the barriers. It was a fun maze to work through, and we arrived just as the bus was filled and they were looking around for us. Off to Hobbiton! There were 11 other LOTR fans along for the journey.

Our driver and guide was a firehose of information as we drove. He pointed out and erupted in great deal historical sights, trivia, and details of Auckland, New Zealand, the European, Asian and Tāmaki Makaurau people. He regaled us with stories of history, economics, sports and the Kiwi love of this land. It was like listening to a LeVar Burton podcast! I think that the van driver/tour guide you get can make or break a side trip— and certainly, this guy MADE this one an excellent introduction to NZ.

He stopped halfway through for a bathroom break and…second breakfast. Pippin and Merry would be proud. Terrific offerings, and the grifdog was introduced to a NZ sausage roll and may never be the same. Flat whites and wonderful breads and biscuits, filled and unfilled. Heavenly smells as we reboarded the bus.

As a side note – our driver’s skills were remarkable…and a note on NZ roads that applies throughout this trip. Outside of large cities, their roads are quite small and narrow. Going up or down steep mountains, there are “pull offs” where slower movers are to step aside for a moment to allow others to pass. Otherwise, the roads are very narrow and often with no shoulders. There are few if any guard rails. Looking out the bus window, you’ll see the tires about a foot from the edge of the road, and another foot away is the cliff down. (Thank goodness @Mathmagicand had not noticed this during our drive!) Bridges are metal, often suspension, and a single lane. It set the stage for entering middle earth.

Here's an example from later in the trip crossing the southern Alps.

Unknown-4.jpeg

But we digress....Welcome to the shire - we are here!

.Unknown-3.jpeg

Last edited:
The day itself was overcast, rainy, drizzly and misty. During this overall trip we had surprisingly few such days. For all other vacation purposes, this would have been a BUST day. But it was perfect. @Mathmagicland had checked the NZ National weather service, MetService, which showed the rain might clear for a couple of hours while we were at Hobbiton. It was spot on, as we arrived to clearing skies. The Hobbits were looking out for us!

Our tour driver gave way to the site’s tour. We were driven to the physical movie set by people who run the place. They had the LOTR overture playing as we crested the hill through the mist. In the dell and vale sat Hobbiton— over 40 permanently placed holes— fully landscaped with people moving about and nothing from today’s world visible in any direction. What a perfect set location!
Unknown-4.jpeg Unknown-5.jpeg Unknown-6.jpeg

Last edited:
The detail is in the details. The holes are various sizes for various reasons (no spoilers here)— there are smoking chimneys, laundry drying on lines, thousands of details. Ironwork, brick and stone built to last. Each hole has details and features (flower pots, tables, bee hives) making each hole unique. The only drawback is that this place is popular, and thus overcrowded. However, coming on a rainy weekday in early spring improved our visit— few tourists. We bounded through the trails, from pond to porches, as each hole was unique and fascinating. The pinnacle, of course, is Bilbo’s Hobbit hole at the top of a hill under a tree with its green door. (You'll have to see it for yourself.)

Unknown-6.jpeg C95EC5E6-A77C-457C-9FA4-190930A72731_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Following the paths, you see a water wheel mill, store and ultimately the Green Dragon Inn. Just like in the movie when the Hobbits enter the Green Dragon Inn, it had resumed raining with mists as we entered. There we had a hot drink in a clay mug and sat in front of a warm welcoming fireplace and visited. Later, our B&B guide appeared and we entered a tent attached to the Green Dragon, to see a buffet banquet – or a Hobbit Lunch if you will - set out with long tables to accommodate everyone. No rushing. Plenty plenty to eat. But no Lembas bread. Then on to the Hobbit potties (no spoilers) and of course the gift shop. This tour came with a $10 certificate to make sure we spent money in the shop, where things were surprisingly well priced.

Unknown-1.jpeg Unknown-1.jpeg

The misty air only turned to full-on rain a couple of times… other than that, the mist gave the whole place the “feel” of the Shire. We could not have chosen a better day for this adventure. We climbed back into the bus and were entertained by the driver until – as all good Hobbits know – afternoon tea– another break for coffee, snacks and a bathroom before returning late afternoon to Auckland to search for – dinner, and later - supper! This was a very good trip, highly recommended for LOTR fans. For those arriving the day before the AbD start date, this tour through Bush & Beach can be done the AbD start date as it runs from approx. 06:45 a.m. to 3:30 pm, so you’re back in time for the AbD reception and dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter