Newb cruiser questions about the SWDAS & other stuff

Onecrazykid

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone, I am a total cruise newb and have a few questions. I apologize if these have been asked a million times, but I'm having no luck with the search bar today.

1)We are planning on booking onto the Feb 11 SWDAS cruise and am wondering if we will be missing out on a lot by booking the trip on short notice?
2)Also, I've read that there are places that may provide credits or other incentives for booking, and am wondering if you know of anyone who might be doing this now?
3) I have searched but can't seem to find if the formal night will need an actual formal or cocktail dress to participate in the evening's activities so how formal is formal?
4) I'll be travelling with my mom and my 8 yr old son. Are there any excursions that you'd recommend?
5) would we be too late to participate in a fish exchange? They sound like tons of fun! Also, where might I find that info?
6) Are the inside staterooms really awful? Is it worth it to pay the extra $$ for an ocean view room?
7) pirate costumes - do a lot of people dress up?
8) Is the SWDAS worth the extra cost? Why or why not?
9) Anything else I need to know? I'm feeling overwhelmed with all the not knowing!

Thanks in advance. :)

Hi everyone, I am a total cruise newb and have a few questions. I apologize if these have been asked a million times, but I'm having no luck with the search bar today.

1)We are planning on booking onto the Feb 11 SWDAS cruise and am wondering if we will be missing out on a lot by booking the trip on short notice?
2)Also, I've read that there are places that may provide credits or other incentives for booking, and am wondering if you know of anyone who might be doing this now?
3) I have searched but can't seem to find if the formal night will need an actual formal or cocktail dress to participate in the evening's activities so how formal is formal?
4) I'll be travelling with my mom and my 8 yr old son. Are there any excursions that you'd recommend?
5) would we be too late to participate in a fish exchange? They sound like tons of fun! Also, where might I find that info?
6) Are the inside staterooms really awful? Is it worth it to pay the extra $$ for an ocean view room?
7) pirate costumes - do a lot of people dress up?
9) Anything else I need to know? I'm feeling overwhelmed with all the not knowing!

Thanks in advance. :)
1) Possibly being able to book excursions that you might be interested in. Character meet & greets that require prebooking may be filled.
2) Those perks would be if you book through a Travel Agent. Not all TAs give perks. You have to ask them what/if any perks they have for booking through them.
3) All the "dress code" for the MDRs is "no swimwear or tank tops for dinner". Beyond that, you'll find all manner of dress in the main dining rooms. Everything from fancy to shorts and t shirts (even on formal night).
5) Fish Extender exchanges are handled on your cruise meet thread (if they have one). Not all cruises have a FE group. Most groups close their lists 30-45 days out in order to give the participants to prepare their gifts. Some groups have a "pixie dust" list (latecomers).
6) My preference is an oceanview room (gotta have that sunlight), but inside rooms are not awful.
7) Some people dress up, some don't. Many just use the bandana supplied by DCL for the evening as their "costume".
8) Not to me. Mostly because I don't care for themed cruises.
9) Biggest tip I have - don't try to do everything, you can't. Relax and enjoy the stuff you can do.

I want info on the fish extender. I bought one for my son. How does it all work? We are going on a cruise in Feb. Thanks

I want info on the fish extender. I bought one for my son. How does it all work? We are going on a cruise in Feb. Thanks
You need to head over to the Cruise Meet board.
http://www.disboards.com/forums/disney-cruise-meets.85/
Look for the thread that's titled "Find your 2017 (Ship Name) Cruise Meet LINK here". Click on that and see if your cruise has a Fish Extender group. Not all cruises have a cruise meet thread here on DISboards. Not all cruise meet threads have a Fish Extender group. There may be FE groups on other sites, but they are not DISboards connected.

Another thing, most FE groups close the list 30-45 days out from the cruise to allow the participants time to get their gifts together.

How it works. If your cruise meet group has a FE organized, people sign up and everyone on the list leaves a gift at the rooms of all the other participants. FE groups could be quite large, but most organizers tend to keep the groups around 10-15 rooms per list.

IS it too late to join the fish extender for the Feb. 25 7 day star wars cruise on the Fantasy. My son really wants to do it. We tried on our last cruise and was unable to. Thanks in advance

IS it too late to join the fish extender for the Feb. 25 7 day star wars cruise on the Fantasy. My son really wants to do it. We tried on our last cruise and was unable to. Thanks in advance
You need to head over to the Cruise Meet board (link in my post) and look up your cruise meet. When you click on that link, ask there if it's too late (or if they even have a Fish Extender Exchange).

You could always bring some small treats for your son and slip them into the Fish Extender you have to surprise him.

Thanks so much Princess Shmoo! We are booked now so I guess we'll find out the answers soon! ;)

1) Possibly being able to book excursions that you might be interested in. Character meet & greets that require prebooking may be filled.
2) Those perks would be if you book through a Travel Agent. Not all TAs give perks. You have to ask them what/if any perks they have for booking through them.
3) All the "dress code" for the MDRs is "no swimwear or tank tops for dinner". Beyond that, you'll find all manner of dress in the main dining rooms. Everything from fancy to shorts and t shirts (even on formal night).
5) Fish Extender exchanges are handled on your cruise meet thread (if they have one). Not all cruises have a FE group. Most groups close their lists 30-45 days out in order to give the participants to prepare their gifts. Some groups have a "pixie dust" list (latecomers).
6) My preference is an oceanview room (gotta have that sunlight), but inside rooms are not awful.
7) Some people dress up, some don't. Many just use the bandana supplied by DCL for the evening as their "costume".
8) Not to me. Mostly because I don't care for themed cruises.
9) Biggest tip I have - don't try to do everything, you can't. Relax and enjoy the stuff you can do.

We are on the same cruise. There is a FE group that might be still open if you search for feb 25 fantasy Disney cruise on the social media site founded by Zuckerberg. Good luck and hope you find a group to join.
Mark

I can't speak to this year's SWDAS but I can last years. It was totally worth it to us. We are HUGE Star Wars fans and booked the cruise exclusively because of the Star Wars day. We had wanted to go on a Disney cruise for a while and the announcement of SWDAS cinched the deal so to speak. Some people will tell you it isn't the worth the cost but worth is entirely subjective. If your family are huge Star Wars fans, I think you'll be quite happy. If not, you may feel a bit disappointed.

Anything else you should know? Just go have fun! You are about to go on a super awesome vacation. We just got home from a NCL cruise that was quite enjoyable but our Disney cruise was by far our favorite even without the Star Wars elements.

are u sure u don't mean 2-18-17 SWDAS on the Fantasy? That's where I'm heading....or are they back to back SWDAS?

yeah...just checked....I'd have rather done Eastern but it just didn't work out,

and, btw, I don't particularly care if its swdas or not

are u sure u don't mean 2-18-17 SWDAS on the Fantasy? That's where I'm heading....or are they back to back SWDAS?

No, we are doing the Eastern Carribean one leaving on the 11th on the Fantasy. I think they are back to back with the W ones . :)

I can't speak to this year's SWDAS but I can last years. It was totally worth it to us. We are HUGE Star Wars fans and booked the cruise exclusively because of the Star Wars day. We had wanted to go on a Disney cruise for a while and the announcement of SWDAS cinched the deal so to speak. Some people will tell you it isn't the worth the cost but worth is entirely subjective. If your family are huge Star Wars fans, I think you'll be quite happy. If not, you may feel a bit disappointed.

Anything else you should know? Just go have fun! You are about to go on a super awesome vacation. We just got home from a NCL cruise that was quite enjoyable but our Disney cruise was by far our favorite even without the Star Wars elements.

Awesome, thank you! My mom isn't a big Star Wars fan but my son is and that is why we chose this one. I think he is going to LOVE it.

I am so excited, especially now that we are booked in!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter