Newbie Alert! Help a mom out please!

gibsontrio

DIS Veteran
I think from searching through these threads I'm not the only Disney fan switching over to the "other side".

Stats:

* Mom to 3 (finally tall enough ) kiddos ages 8,13, 16. Dads in the military and will sadly be away this year, so I'm BRAVING it alone and taking the kids to Universal! (yay me!)

*Trip is planned June 8th for a week.

*Staying at a Blue Tree Resort condo - military deal $350 for the whole week

*Military tickets are going to cost me $915 for the 4 day 2 park to park tickets

* I'll be driving my own car

Here come the questions!!

Where do I start! .. express passes? Do I buy them do I not? I'd like to think of myself as a master of Dis fast passes but this is a whole new ball game. Obviously coming in at $1,300 for a weeks vacation we have wiggle room in our budget, but do people just go to Universal with no epress pass?

I saw the " book a room for one night trick" in another post but can I use those express passes later in the week or do I have to use them the day of check out ?

Parking ? Can I come and go as I please ? We have a full kitchen and the kids love relaxing by the pool mid day, but I'm not about paying $25 twice

We are early risers, how early do I need to be there to comfortably get on rides without more than a 30 min wait ? My 8 year old is a Potter fan but the rest of us could take it or leave it ( sorry HP fans)

ANY and all tips would be so very appreciated! Any other sites or blogs I should check out to educate myself?

I'll be driving my own car
I would get yourself an annual pass to get free parking after the first entrance. Plus there are shopping and dining discounts with the pass.

Where do I start! .. express passes? Do I buy them do I not? I'd like to think of myself as a master of Dis fast passes but this is a whole new ball game. Obviously coming in at $1,300 for a weeks vacation we have wiggle room in our budget, but do people just go to Universal with no epress pass?
If you were going to get fast passes, I would just stay in the deluxe resorts that give you the EXpress Pass. It would be cheaper.

I saw the " book a room for one night trick" in another post but can I use those express passes later in the week or do I have to use them the day of check out ?
EP is good from check-in until end of day check out day. So if you book one night, you will get 2 back to back EP days..

Parking ? Can I come and go as I please ? We have a full kitchen and the kids love relaxing by the pool mid day, but I'm not about paying $25 twice
Save your receipt each day to get readmitted with cost. But I would get the annual Pass instead.

We are early risers, how early do I need to be there to comfortably get on rides without more than a 30 min wait ?
If you are quick and there at opening, you can get 2 rides in quickly. After that, be prepared to wait in long lines.

Hi we go about a week or two later at that time of year and it is starting summer crowds. We have been doing this for several years now.

davper gave great advice I will just elaborate a bit.

You would only need one annual pass for everything so with upgrading one of those tickets to a preferred pass shouldn't be too bad. You need that level to get parking benefits at city walk. I am not sure how military tickets work for upgrading but I am sure someone could help out!

I am one of the peeps who did a room at Royal Pacific Resort for one night to get two days of express pass. I ended up using the room for breaks during the day but did not have too. The only thing is yea you have to use it on check in and check out day. You could switch over to there for a night at the beginning or end to do that. This way you could have two days of express pass. It is going to be hard to be under 30 minute waits in stand by lines at that time of year. Express passes are crazy expensive on their own. It is like 79.00-99.00 per person per day for unlimited. You could pay let's say 350.00 a night at RP and have two days express pass for everyone in your party. The rooms allow up to 5.

If you decide not to do anything with express pass you will have to get there right at opening. Even then you will encounter 30 plus minute waits right off the bat in HP worlds. Early Entry people have an hour head start on you. You would also get early entry for the two days if you stayed on site or did a throw away room.

I would really look at the threads on here. There are some good FAQ threads, trip reports and resort information. Also just start another thread with questions. You will have a lot of helpful peeps here.

The express passes are unlimited here and there is no need to make reservations if you have them. It is so different then Disney's system. The only two rides if you choose not too do express pass is Fast and Furious and Jimmy Fallon. These have the virtual line queue like Disney. You would have to go to the ride and reserve a time to come back.

Any other questions just ask around, you could also pm me if you would like.

Happy Planning and your HP fan will love it. Don't be surprised if you come out of the visit liking HP a little more. The lands are amazing!!

I would get yourself an annual pass to get free parking after the first entrance. Plus there are shopping and dining discounts with the pass.
Ditto this. If you have some (larger wiggle room) can crunch numbers to upgrade to Premier (has limited use EP with it after 4 pm) for all. We have the premier and went this past week-allowed us to stay offsite, save on parking and use EP after 4. But be sure to call and see how military tickets able/if able to upgrade...
The challenge with the one night stay at deluxe is you will pay for parking at hotel that night, so can easily be over $400 for 2 days of EP...

I just really want to say thank you for your service. I know, technically, it is your husband, but in reality - it's a family commitment through and through! You guys rock!

The advice above is great - if you can afford express passes in your budget, it is really hard to beat buying a one night hotel room - 2 days of unlimited EP for 4 people for about $400 - it's a great deal.

And if you're kids love daytime swimming, by all means, check into the hotel of your choice, bring an overnight bag, and take a very comfortable boat ride back and let them swim at the hotel. I know on the surface that having two rooms in Orlando at the same time is insane, but think of it as cheap Express Pass and a nice pool!

On the day's onsite, focus on the main rides and ride them a lot. Then, on the other two days, if you do come back - focus on HP shops, shows, and some of the rides that EP may not be necessary for - like Seuss and ET (and similar).

You will love the HP areas even if HP is "not your thing".

Definitely figure out how to upgrade one ticket to a annual pass for the free parking. Right now you get 6 extra months free at that level, so if you were able to come back in the next 18 months, you will have it covered.

Look into a throw away room for express for 2 days. Entirely worth it esp if you are wanting to come and go at the parks.

I’m following your post..we are newbies too and heading down the same time!! Have a great trip!

I'm going to vary from what most said above. Not that their advice is bad, it's just that all the advice seems to be "spend more money to get these advantages and if you can use this extra, well, you get that too". Sometimes that advice works and fits my budget and well, sometimes it doesn't.
So if you are cringing (or balking) at any of the "spend more money" advice, here's an alternative:
- In 4 days, you can see everything at the two parks, even with long lines. And chances are you won't want to see every single thing.
- You already have the lodging you need, why switch to another (expensive) hotel just to get the Express pass? I have done Universal at many different times of the year and never had Express Pass. If you hate the lines, can't make it through the day because of them, then yes, get the room for the Express Pass. But when people claim you add the benefit of going back to the pool, etc, when you bought the room to get the Express Pass to spend the time in the park, why would you want to waste park time to go back to the hotel pool? (I don't mean to Blue Tree Resort, I mean to the Universal hotel)
- you are going for 4 days. That's $100 in parking cost. Is the upgrade to the annual pass for one person less than that? If so, get the upgrade. Otherwise, pay the parking fee (outrageous fee, i know, but it is what it is). Paying once a day allows you to go in and out on the same day. You will not pay $25 twice in the same day. By the way, going after 6:00 pm (as long as there is no special event that night) is free parking.
- of course, following my advice will mean longer wait in lines. so weigh that against the cost of the above advice. I am not pooh-poohing the advice above, just pointing out that when I am trying to cheap it, I forego the extras & luxuries (even if they are worth it) to be able top spend where I want to or need to.

Have a great time!

EP is good from check-in until end of day check out day. So if you book one night, you will get 2 back to back EP days..

Yep.

it's just that all the advice seems to be "spend more money to get these advantages and if you can use this extra, well, you get that too".

She asked if she should get the eps. She says she has wiggle room. Those of us who have gotten the unlimited eps with the room are saying yes they are worth it. One night at the room to get two days worth of uEP for 4 people????

And the ap is to pay for parking that she’ll pay for.

But when people claim you add the benefit of going back to the pool, etc, when you bought the room to get the Express Pass to spend the time in the park, why would you want to waste park time to go back to the hotel pool?

Because you’ve gotten so much done with the EPs and it’s a vacation and why not use a pool?

And she says her family likes to use a pool midday. If they get a room for that one night, they would have access to every single hotel pool on property for both checkin and checkout days. (Universal is happy to let hotel guests pool hop)

Is the upgrade to the annual pass for one person less than that?

I believe that was a question asked of her along with the suggestion, to see what the upgrade would be like from her tickets.

There’s also the possibility of an ap rate to bring the room cost down more.

And one night at the hotels will give you two full days of parking at the hotel.

OP I would also recommend staying even one night at the hotel with EP...….even on quiet times we find the EP worth it`s weight in gold. We hate queueing and you DO get so much more done with having it over not. So much more relaxing.

The kids will appreciate no queuing as you can have long waits that time of year. It is so worth it and you`ll be so glad you did. And as bumbershoot pointed out, with 4 days you`ll enjoy being able to go back to spend some time at the pool during the day as you mentioned you enjoyed doing that.....RP and HRH are only minutes of a walk away from the parks......PB a little further but still walkable easily for a midday break.

Due to now being a Florida snowbird with AP,I have not stayed on site in a few years but the last time I did stay I was charged to park at hotel...not sure if that's still the rule or not so may not be a savings there

Due to now being a Florida snowbird with AP,I have not stayed on site in a few years but the last time I did stay I was charged to park at hotel...not sure if that's still the rule or not so may not be a savings there
Yes you have to pay parking at hotel but I believe it’s charged by the night- ie she parks first day, but can leave car there until end of second day (thus not paying for parking for one day).

The premier hotel parking is $27 + tax per night

Parking fees begin at midnight so if you do a one night stay, you have until 11:59 pm on check out day

Thanks Vacaplanner!! I appreciate your sentiment :)

Thank you all for the help! I don't think I can upgrade the military ticket to an annual pass ( correct me if i'm wrong) . My adult ticket only costs $179 for all 4 days , so even if I could it's most likely more than $100

I'm still on the fence whether or not to book that room. The room would definitely be cheaper than buying the passes ( $330 for the room with the military discount plus parking) but I'm not sure I want to flip back and forth from condo to hotel. I've chatted with the kids and I told them if we do what we can standing in line for the 4 days I can take the extra $300 and spoil them a little more. Thankfully I don't have babies to worry about in line. Either way I'm excited to try something new!!

If you can go early each day, you'll be able to see and do quite a lot. I mean, be at the entrance a good half hour before opening. Then you'll be primed for an earlier than usual lunch (avoiding lines again), hit some rides while others are lunching, then head to your condo and pool for mid afternoon. Drive back, have a fun night and since you're refreshed, stay until close.

These are good strategies for Universal or Disney that don't cost a thing!

Thanks Vacaplanner!! I appreciate your sentiment :)

Thank you all for the help! I don't think I can upgrade the military ticket to an annual pass ( correct me if i'm wrong) . My adult ticket only costs $179 for all 4 days , so even if I could it's most likely more than $100

I'm still on the fence whether or not to book that room. The room would definitely be cheaper than buying the passes ( $330 for the room with the military discount plus parking) but I'm not sure I want to flip back and forth from condo to hotel. I've chatted with the kids and I told them if we do what we can standing in line for the 4 days I can take the extra $300 and spoil them a little more. Thankfully I don't have babies to worry about in line. Either way I'm excited to try something new!!

You wouldn't have to flip back and forth between condo and hotel. You don't have to stay at the hotel. It would only involve the extra step at going to the hotel once to get the Express Pass

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter