newbie at tent camping questions

CdnMom2

DIS Veteran
January will be our first time at DisneyWorld and our first time tent-camping. Ambitious, yes.
But from what I've been reading Fort Wilderness is a great place for first-timers with 4 kids.

(I do wish the Search function was working here still.)

How do you cope with things like -- washing the dishes?
Yes, one solution I'll try for as long as the budget can stand it is eating at those great DisneyWorld restaurants. Seriously though we will have to cook meals at our site. Part of the fun & adventure of camping, right?

I understand we will have electricity. Hmmm. So I should bring a kettle for hot water? A potty for the 4 kids who may need to go in the night? Anti-bacterial hand gel? Not sure what I should be remembering as far as those amenities we all take for granted every day.
Cooking? No need for a Coleman propane stove I guess. An electric griddle? Can't see the oft-mentioned crock-pot working. Wouldn't the local animals get at it when we're at the parks?

My camping experience was in my youth (LOL) as a somewhat dedicated Girl Guide. We did NOT have electricity. But I don't feel like getting too adventurous with home-made ovens on this trip. Or eating baked potatoes/foil-baked veggies, etc. every day. One daughter is Diabetic so we can't really just wing-it if something doesn't work out or the birds/raccoons (or whatever equivalent there -- peacocks & armadillos?) spoil it. I need to be fully prepared with right amount of carbs/exchanges and on-time for all meals, snacks.

Any advice from tent campers would be appreciated. Even pointing me in the right direction like some Camping for Dummies web-site!

I don't think I'll be bringing the Microwave or Coffee Maker as I see people do do for All-Stars, etc. We will have a full enough van as it is (and I think my husband who prides himself on his adventurous camping in his youth that we are all to wussie for would be too embarassed to be seen near us).

And ice? Is it available at some comfort station there like at a hotel?

My daughter requires her insulin to be refrigerated. Does FW offer this free at the "Front desk" there? Perhaps we'll buy a car fridge.

I'm also paying for everything with Candian $. So the more I can be prepared for and purchase up here ahead of time the better! For example, probably a better idea for us to purchase a fridge/cooler for van here than end up paying $5 US or something daily down there for ice from the "Front Desk" to keep an a cooler at the site if that's the case.

Sorry about the length. So much to consider. Thank you.

Hi Canadian Mom!
I recently tent camped at FW in both October and December 2001. I didn't eat too many meals at the campsites but I did glean alot of tips to get prepared. I'd like to offer some suggestions.

1. Washing dishes - I've seen many comments on the water at the sites, mostly comments on the scent of the water (sulfur from the iron-sulfides in FL groundwater). It is decent to rinse off sticky hands, but I'd opt for bottled water for all drinking, cooking, and washing needs. You could try filling up containers at a comfort station restroom. But hey, the most obvious answer of all- use disposable dishes as much as possible! ;-)

2. Bringing an electric kettle for hot water is an EXCELLENT idea. You can make instant coffee, tea, hot chocolate, cup-a-soups AND (this is such a good idea :bounce: ) you can reheat cooked plain pasta, such as spaghetti or egg noodles, to go with whatever (jarred?) sauces you might have. Cook and refrigerate/freeze the cooked noodles in a plastic bag. At eating time, put the noodles in a colander, pour boiling water over them, drain (watch those toes!) & serve. A hot plate (with adjustable settings), electric kettle, and good cooler will facilitate alot of cooking with some crafty planning. PS advise from my sister: cast iron pan only needs a good wiping, doesn't need soap & water, and cooks alot of good stuff.

3. I'm afraid I'm not the voice of experience here, but regarding using a crockpot, the ceramic liner gets very hot, critters paws would learn that trying to get in. So I wouldn't worry too much about the squirrels or ants. ((On the other hand, I haven't quite figured out how much I trust a crockpot sitting on 'something' inside a tent. One strong summer storm and my tent might collapse on it, yikes!! But some have left the crockpot on the picnic table if they have a dining cover.))

4. Not EVERY comfort station has an ice machine, but they are around and getting ice is no big problem. It's $2 in quarters, but there ARE change machines at the comfort station near the washer/dryers. Best tip here: have 2 plastic bags ready (they are at the ice machine) since the ice that they dispense is enough to completely fill to the very top of one bag of ice (=can't close it). It will all get dispensed into one bag, then divide it up into 2 for the walk back to the campsite. $2/bag last I knew. (Same price at trading posts)

5. I'll leave the insulin/refrigerator question to someone else. I don't know.

There are a couple of good 'what we will eat/ what we ate' posts inside the Camping forum so when search is back up, that should help.

Best wishes to you, you should have a great time!!
:bounce:

For washing dishes, I would also try to use disposible as much as possible. I wouldn't mind using the water at the site for washing. The water doesn't taste good if you're not used to it, but I've washed dishes there without a problem. If you think it might bother you, you'd be much better off to get a filter in a jug (like Brita) instead of paying for that much bottled water.

I'm not sure how a fridge that runs off the battery in your car would work in this case. I've never used one, but I'd be inclined to think that it would run your battery down if the car wasn't running the alternater couldn't recharge it. But I'm by no means an expert--that's just a guess. From what I've read, they should store your insulin for free. You'd probably want a small cooler to keep about a day's worth on ice.

I would keep the food in your van when you're not around. You won't have to worry about animals getting it in there, but you would anywhere else (except in a cooler).

If you are going to have elec at your site and you have the room in your car or van. I would go and buy the smallest refrigerator to keep the insulin in. just my 2cents......You will love it.
So much to do,so much to see, soo little time.

FW is a great place to tent camp.

For a newbie I would recomend you take a short trip before your WDW trip to set up and see what you need, what you've forgoten, and what you can do without. This helps alot especially when you are driving a long distance and space is a premium. Take less clothes and wash once during your trip. This saves space not only in your car but also in the tent.

Use rubbermaid containers to store food and supplies, even clothes. They stack well and I even use one as a side table in the tent to put a small lamp and alarm clock on.

Here's my list I use when packing.
To set up Camp
Tent
Tarps
Stakes
Mallet
Carpet
Canopy
Rope
Seam Sealer
Patch Kit
Bungi Cords
Duct Tape
Clothesline/pins
Broom/dustpan
Chairs
Citronella Candles
Flashlights
Lanterns
Hammer
Knife/Scissors
Fans
Matches
Lights

Sleeping
Air Mattress
Waffle Foam
Pillows
Blankets
Sheets
Sleeping Bags
Entertainment
Balls
Radio/CD
Cards
Books
Paper
Pens/crayons
Travel Games
Cooking Supplies
Sandwich Maker
Can opener
Cooler
Dish cloths
Towels
Soap
Dish Tub
Pot Holders
Tongs/Spatula
Tablecloth
Thermos
Stove/Fuel
Pot & Pans
Lighter
Knife
Charcoal
Lighter Fluid
Hot Dog Sticks

DRY GOODS
Cereal
Cookies
Crackers
Sugar
Pancake Mix
Potato Chips
Graham Crackers
Marshmallows
Chocolate Bars
Bread
Buns
BEVERAGES
Cocoa
Tea
Fruit Juice/Kool aid
Soft Drinks
Mineral Water
Wine

Food Supplies
Hamburgers
Hot Dogs
Chicken Breast
Cheese
Veggies
Fruit
Lunch meat
Pasta
Pizza Sauce
Salad Fixings
Salad Dressing

CONDIMENTS
Oil
Ketchup
Mayonnaise
Mustard
Olives
Pickles
Jelly/Jam
Peanut Butter
Syrup
Spices
Salt / Pepper

PAPER PRODUCTS
Facial Tissue
Paper Plates
Plastic Silverware
Paper Towels
Aluminum Foil
Plastic Wrap
Cups
Sandwich Bags
Garbage Bags
Bowls
Toiletries
Make up
Chap Stick
Noxema
Deodorant
Lotion
Soap/ Shower Gel
Nail Clippers
Razor
Shaving Cream
Shampoo
Conditioner
Toothbrush
Tooth Paste
Mouthwash
Sewing Kit
Brush/comb
Sunscreen
Towels
Curling Iron
Hairspray
Scrunchii’s
Barretts
First Aid
Antiseptic
Baby wipes
Band Aids
Benadryl
Bug repellant
Caladryl
Tylenol/ Advil
Children’s Tylenol
Cold Medicine
Safety Pins
Neosporin
Moleskin
Scissors
Tweezers
Tums
Imodium AD
LAUNDRY
Bleach
Detergent
Fabric Softener
Stain Remover
MISCELLANEOUS
Film
Batteries
Candles
Cell Phone
Two Way radios
Postcards
Stamps
Vitamins
Alarm Clock
Air Pump
Bikes

:D

Thank you all for your advice & great list. Have copied it all onto computer. I'll be sleeping a bit easier tonight. These small questions were nagging at me for awhile. I'm glad I finally got the courage to ask them here.

I have a cooler that can run off car adapter or electric. No ice needed. You can get them at walmart or a similar store. I have camped with it and also used it in hotel rooms. It's like a personal mini fridge but not as expensive. I bought mine a couple of years ago and it ran around $100 (us dollars) It's great to not have to worry about ice and the things in the cooler do not get soggy.

Have a great time!
Sheri

FW Cabins - May '02
All Stars Music - May '00

I also have an electric cooler with an AC adapter. Mine is by Koolatron and there are different sizes. It's come in very handy while "on the road" and then in the hotel room.

We started tent camping in 1999 and we have done it every year since! We have a Coleman thermoelectric cooler that we bought at WalMart for about $70. It is full size and came with an adapter for the car and one for regular electrical outlets. We used it at Fort Wilderness this last Christmas and it was perfect. It says it keeps the contents 40 degrees cooler than the outside temperature, but I'm not sure if this is correct or not as it got down to around 35 degrees a couple of nights and our sodas were not frozen the next morning (they were very cold though). The cooler was not as handy in summer as the outside temperature was verry high and the sodas were coolish, but not cold -- I would not trust it for perishables in the summer, just sodas, etc.

As for cooking - we are really lazy. We bought a very small microwave at Walmart for $50 and took it with us. It was really small and didn't take up much space in the car -- we placed it in the back seat floor and put the cooloer on it.

Here is a link to a wonderful camping site I found. I became familiar with the tips on the site and our 1st camping trip was a total success! http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/camping.html

Hope this helps you -- You're going to LOVE Fort Wilderness.

I might also suggest calling FT Wilderness directly about the refrigerator. I have read that in other resorts, individuals are sometimes given a complimentary refrigerator for insulin. I have no idea if FW has any of these frig's. I like the suggestion about the electric cooler. Our family has a small cube refrigerator for our pop-up. I keep my Lantus in the cooler while we're traveling, and then move it into the refrigerator once we're set up.

Thanks again for your help. That website on camping looks fantastic.

I called Ft. Wilderness directly, but as seems to always be the case from what I've read on these boards the person at the other end didn't seem to know what she was talking about. She said I would have to order a fridge from housekeeping and they would bring it to my room. I again clarified we were talking about TENT camping at FW and I was asking about a fridge that might be available to guests for medication at their central check-in. She stood by her answer that I would have to order one. She did wish me a magical day though. I think we'll probably be getting a fridge like the ones you have been writing about. I'd much rather be responsible for our daughter's insulin than someone else, but just wanted to know our options. Glad to know it's possible and pretty affordable. And that they really work.

Now we have to arrange for the Easter Bunny to bring our tent!

I haven't tried this tip myself( since we usually only camp 4 nights in a row at the most) but it sounded good, for luxerious sleeping, stack two air mattresses, it will be like having a box spring and a mattress combo. I have wanted to try this, but none of the selfish members of my family will give me their air mattress:mad: they keep insisting they need it to sleep on....

My son & I camped for two weeks in August summer before last. We had a great time. We camp alot at the beach so I can take my pug. Since my pug can't stand the heat I have a small air conditioner to use with my tent. We have a large three room tent and a screen house that's the same size. The tent opens on both ends and the screen house opens on the two sides. We set our tent up and turn the screen house across the end (like a T). We set up a card table inside the screen house and use it to hold a small dorm refrigerator and small dorm microwave. We usually take a toaster for bagels & pop tarts. We don't cook meals but heat stuff up. We do the breakfast cereal, pasta & sauces, ramen, sandwiches, salads, microwaved potatoes, popcorn, cheese or peanut butter & crackers, just about anything we could fix at home. We mostly use disposable tableware but took a couple of corning ware pots for pasta and the likes. I just washed them at the site. I did take a storage tub packed with linens and when the beds were made I used it to wash with.

If you are anywhere near a University I'd watch out for a college student unloading a small refrigerator when they graduate this summer. I've bought several for $25. One I've had for 5 or 6 years and the other for about 3 years. I've also purchased some for friends since I work for a University.

I love camping and would love to do it again. My son only tolerates it. The only bad thing about camping at WDW is the drive down. Since I'm the only driver it's very tiring. As soon as the wheels start turning my son pops a movie in the vcr and he sleeps for the 10-12 hours it takes us to get there.

I think you'll have a great trip and it's a good way to reap the benefits of staying on site and still keeping a budget.

Carolyn

Carolyn-
I am from NC, too, and the drive to FL seems to get longer each trip! I have often dreamed of
camping at WDW for weeks at a time(have only camped once, as a girl scout, 1 night in a boy scout "hut"). I can't convince my kids(13,11,9,&8) or my husband to even try. When my DH finally admitted I had an addiction to the mouse, we could not afford the 12-step program or the patch, since we were proud owners of 6 Annual Passes then, and we had joined the Disney Vacation Cub(you can imagine the sticker shock when DH realized this was NOT the $40 club, but the $11,000 club!). The last time I mentioned trying to camp at WDW as an extension to our 2 weeks a year at the BWV, my husband suggested we do a point add-on at 1 of the DVC properties(note to self...camping discussion=more points). I am still planning to camp at FW, but it will most likely have to be in the summer when DH can go with us, and he is concerned about the heat. We have a large tent, a small air-conditioner, and several air-mattresses that I've managed to "pick-up" on shopping trips. Any advice you could offer would be great, especially on cooking at the site, and dealing with the heat. Thanks!

I never got hot and we were there two weeks in August. When we put up the tent we put a tarp over the top before we put the rain cover on. That helped keep the a/c inside the tent and insulate from some of the sun. We had a shady spot and it stayed cool for our mid-day breaks. At night I had to turn the a/c off or I got too cold.

We take a small tv/vcr for the ride down so we have it to use inside. I don't like sleeping on an air matress on the ground. I've thought about getting one of those that unfolds with legs. Most of the time I use a cot (comes with a foam mattress). It's really comfortable.

I don't mind the trip down. It seems to go quickly. It's the drive home that really gets to me. The last two times I've had trouble staying awake. Last time I had to stop in Georgia (I think) and get a motel room.

We're planning on flying down this summer but I keep waffeling. I hate not having a car and I hate paying for a rental. I haven't made any reservations. I want to take a budget trip so I can stay at least two weeks. That means off property unless some real good rates come out for the All Stars. I think the AP rates are higher than any I've paid lately.

We don't do a lot of heavy cooking. We make things we're able to cook with a microwave. I do the same thing when I camp at the beach. Lots of sandwiches, baked potatoes, salads, cheese & crackers.

Since my son is 15 I'm trying to get in as much vacation time together as possible while he's still talking to me. We enjoy our trips together to WDW.

Carolyn

Thanks for the advice,Carolyn. Because we have 6, we usually drive, too, and I agree about the drive back being longer than the drive to get there. DH and I have flown to MCO from RDU twice, once on SW and once on Delta. Because of the need to arrive at the airport so early now, and the line at the car rental counter, flying did not save us very much time(we live 1.5 hours from RDU). The later we left Orlando driving home seemed to determine how long the trip was going to be, so we finally agreed that we would have lunch at a favorite restaurant(used to be Spoodles before it closed) and leave immediately afterward. We would start the day off by checking out, then hitting MGM for 1 last ride on Rockin'RollerCoaster, then lunch. If we left Orlando after 2 pm, it quickly became the never-ending car trip! For the drive down, we have left at all kinds of hours, from 5 am to midnight. DH prefers the night drive because we make better time, but if I drive it alone, I prefer day driving. My best trip, I left at 7:30 am the week of July 4th, and arrived @ 5 pm(stopped during a heavy downpour at the FL/GA line).Weirdest trip, I decided my son needed to go to Epcot to finish his Christmas around the World project(he was assigned France) at 4:30 pm on Friday. We left DH a note, and was on the road by 6. The drive was great(no traffic delays or construction at night) but I was a little tired the next day. If we had 2 weeks, we would definitely drive. My almost 14-year-old has offered to help drive down in 2003, as she will have her learner's permit(we may definitely start flying then!). Enjoy your trip with your son!

I had to chuckle. My son has his learners permit and offered to help drive. Now can you see me being able to sleep while he's driving 75 mph on I95? I don't think so! He then changed his mind and said he'd rather fly. I guess I'll make up my mind around the end of April. I'll still be outside the 21 day fares.

It takes us about an hour to get to RDU and about an hour to get to Greensboro so we can go either way. I'm more familiar with RDU so I feel more comfortable flying from there.

Next time you get a wild hair send me an email. I'll help split the driving if I can find the time to take off.

The plug in coolers are a great idea. Check camping world or walmart. As a past FW cm I can tell you we had a refridge for our lunches at the outpost and we did store items for guest in it on several occassions. You might want to consult with a manager.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter