*newbie* - got some Q's to ask!

tw4sl

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!

im going to DLP in the middle of April this year, and as its my 1st time, ive got some questions to ask! i hope somebody can help :)
i can find out most things when i get there, but i'd like to know what to do before i get there :p

1) ive booked a package with disney and it says breakfast included at my hotel (kyriad). do i have to book in beforehand or something or can i just walk in to eat?

2) i'd like to visit the la vallee shopping outlet whilst im there, but how do i get there and back? i know theres a shuttle bus service that go from the hotel to this place, but ive heard people say that it takes ages and that it's better catching the train? please give me as much info as you can on this, because the last thing i wanna do is get lost in france!

3) ive heard that theres a supermarket near DLP, where abouts is it and how can i get there? (please give info on transport prices and how long it takes etc if u can too :p )

4) it'll be me and my bf going, we're aged 19 and 22, so can anyone suggest any interesting attractions or rides which are suitable for couples? we're not really big fans of 'stomach-turning' rides if you get what i mean lol.

any ideas, suggestions or advice appreciated thanx :)

I can help on questions 2 & 3. :) This is all from a DLP-perspective. I don't know exactly where the Kyriad is located, but if you wanted to go to the supermarket or outlets, here's what you could do.

DLP is one RER stop away from Val d'Europe, where there is a shopping mall as well as the outlet center (La Vallee Village). DLP's RER stop is right next to the Eurostar station, which is right outside the entrance to Disneyland Parc. The RER is 1.45 euro each way, and it's less than 5 minutes to get there. A very easy trip, overall.

When you get off at Val d'Europe, you are right in front of the shopping mall. For the most part, it's a regular shopping mall. No real special shops, and no discounts. The "anchor" store for the mall is Auchan, which is a 3-floor hypermarche. The main floor of Auchan is a rather large (by my NYC standards at least) supermarket. I didnt look too carefully, but they seemed to have a good selection, and the prices seemed definitely reasonable (I think it's mostly a residential supermarket even though it's so close to Disney). Auchan is not right next the entrance of the mall when you get of the RER, but it's close enough.

If you walk through the shopping mall, at the other side opposite from the RER station is the outlet center.

If you don't feel like taking the train back to DLP, there are taxis outside the mall near the RER station that can drop you off right at your hotel.

ah ok cheers for that MinnieYC!
so Val d'Europe is the name of the RER stop? this is what im thinking but im not sure if its right:...

1st, i catch the free disney shuttlebus from my hotel to the Marne-la-vallee chessy train station, then catch the RER (thats underground/metro right?) and get off after one stop (Val d'Europe)?

tw4sl said:
ah ok cheers for that MinnieYC!
so Val d'Europe is the name of the RER stop? this is what im thinking but im not sure if its right:...

1st, i catch the free disney shuttlebus from my hotel to the Marne-la-vallee chessy train station, then catch the RER (thats underground/metro right?) and get off after one stop (Val d'Europe)?

Yep, that's about it.
The RER is not exactly the same thing as the Metro. The Metro is the underground that runs in the city of Paris, so there is no Metro that goes to Disney. The RER is the metro Paris railroad. It's above ground for most of it's stops outside of the center of Paris.
It's just important to know the differencebetween Metro and RER, because if you ask for a Metro ticket (if you buy in person rather than from the machine), you will get a Metro ticket rather than an RER ticket. The machine requires either a credit card or exact change. If you buy your ticket from a ticket agent behind a counter, most (if not all) understand English, so just ask for tickets to Val d'Europe. Be sure to specify if you want round-trip tickets ("le retour" in French).

If your hotel does not have frequent shuttles to the Marne-la-vallee Chessy RER station, you can just take a shuttle to the park. They're very close by (like less than a 2 minute walk).

The Kyriad is in the same area as Explorer, Holiday Inn and Movenpick.
Complementary shuttle runs throughout the day from the hotels to the bus station, as per Disneyland Hotels.
Trains station is right beside here so travel to Val d'Europe is easy :goodvibes
Phantom Manor is definitely not 'stomach churring' but well themed, as is Pirates of the Carribean.

Reid

thats very helpful, thanks!

im spending 2 nights and 3 days there.. reckon it'll be a good idea to visit that supermarket 1st to stock up on some food? cuz i know things will be very expensive in the park.. wouldnt it be embarrassing to walk back into the hotel with loadsa supermarket bags and have people staring at me heehee :p

Hi,

1) when check-in you can choose a time for breakfast and you are given a card with this time on, you have to give back at breakfast. The breakfast at the Kyriad is really great :Pinkbounc

4) go and see all the shows at the DLP and the WDS :flower:

Greets Renate :wizard:

Just one thing about food and such... if you're planning on making packed lunches to take to the park, you'll have to eat them before you go in. There's a picnic area near the entrance I think (never used it though, so I'm not sure exactly where!) where you can eat a packed lunch, but you're not allowed to take food into the park. At least you weren't allowed to when I was last there, which was, I must admit, quite a while ago!

I don't know if you were planning to do that but I thought I'd just point that out. I remember having my bags searched for food before I went into the park, lol!

oh yeah i heard about them searching peoples bags before they're allowed in lol. i'll make sure i fill myself right up before going into the park.. as i've heard many people say that food is really expensive in there!

Bonnie said:
Just one thing about food and such... if you're planning on making packed lunches to take to the park, you'll have to eat them before you go in. There's a picnic area near the entrance I think (never used it though, so I'm not sure exactly where!) where you can eat a packed lunch, but you're not allowed to take food into the park. At least you weren't allowed to when I was last there, which was, I must admit, quite a while ago!

QUOTE]

No, they dont look for food anymore!You can take everything in the park, although it is written that you are not allowed to :cool1:

The security check is very different to WDW. They check you ONLY when you go to the Village from the Park. There they look for metal etc. and in have a look at your backpack. They are not allowed to take anything from you in there hand! You have to show to the.
The best way to is as follows:
Give the backpack to a woman
Show it open so they can look in easy
Men should take all things like keys, money etc in there hands to show :cool1:

Leave your scissors of knifes at the hotel.

greets Renate

tw4sl said:
oh yeah i heard about them searching peoples bags before they're allowed in lol. i'll make sure i fill myself right up before going into the park.. as i've heard many people say that food is really expensive in there!

See the other post...you can bring food in the park.
About the prices.
The menu at the sit-down is around 25€ adult (without drinks, but service and tax included)
Fast food is with one drink 12€.
We usually have a hugh breakfast (included in most of the hotels) and then have a sit-down meals between 3 and 5pm :cool1:

Ooh, that's good to know! I remember someone staying in our hotel last time packed a few of the little bread rolls from breakfast and had them confiscated! :flower:

Renate_do said:
We usually have a hugh breakfast (included in most of the hotels) and then have a sit-down meals between 3 and 5pm :cool1:

This is very sensible advice!:flower: When we were in Florida we ate either a large breakfast and an early dinner OR an early lunch and a later dinner. As breakfast is included in the DLP holidays, it makes good sense to "stuff one self with as much breakfast as one can!" :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: and then opt for a second meal at the time you suggested. I guess the restaurants will be less busy at this time as well.

With reference to the "stuffing of one with breakfast", please believe me when I say I am not really greedy!!! :drinking1 :cake: :drinking1

Next advice :cool1:
go either to the Plaza Garden at the DLP or the Billy Bobs at the Village for the All You Can Eat Buffets. They are 25€.
If you like a great Buffet go to Inventions at the Disneyland Hotel. Its 43€ and worth every cent.

Greets Renate

Thanks, Renate.:sunny:
I remember somebody else recommending Inventions in an earlier thread. Am I right in thinking it is a character buffet? Also, when do you recommend we book our meals? We are going 25 to 30 August so I know the parks will be busy then. How early do people book their meals at DLP? When we went to WDW at Easter, we could not book our first choice of dates for all the meals we wanted and that was booking 90 days beforehand!

Its not that bad at DLRP usually it is okay to do your reservation the day you arrive or you want to go there. Never had a problem yet. But you can call them 2 month in advance. They will held the reservation for 15 minutes.
Resort Restaurant Reservation (33) (1) 60 45 60 45
Restaurant Reservation King Ludwig's Castle (33) (1) 60 42 71 80

Yes the Buffet at the Invention is a character dinner.

Greets Renate

BTW just saw that you are from Bournemouth... been there quite often on vacation during school time :cool1: had a lovely landlord at Winton :sunny:

Another recommendation for Inventions. Great selection, and the food was all properly cold or hot (I've noticed at many WDW buffets that this is not the case, and many of the hot foods become rather lukewarm or worse).

If you do either a buffet or prix fixe two or three course meal, it's usually the only big meal you need all day. We usually did one big meal and then one small one (like perhaps just an appetizer). Because of this, fast food can sometimes actually be more expensive in the long run.

Usually, I've found that it's never difficult to book a table one day in advance for the DLP restaurants, especially if you're willing to go at times that are not the most popular.

Renate_do said:
BTW just saw that you are from Bournemouth... been there quite often on vacation during school time :cool1: had a lovely landlord at Winton :sunny:

It's a Small World isn't it!!!:sunny: I now live in the Throop area of Bournemouth, but grew up in Charminster, the next area to Winton!

Thanks for the telephone numbers. I think I'll have to start reading up on all the restaurants and start planning where we would like to eat (oh what a difficult chore!!!):rotfl2:

Renate_do said:
Next advice :cool1:
go either to the Plaza Garden at the DLP or the Billy Bobs at the Village for the All You Can Eat Buffets. They are 25€.
If you like a great Buffet go to Inventions at the Disneyland Hotel. Its 43€ and worth every cent.

Greets Renate

buffet may be a good idea for my boyfriend but it'll be a waste for me because i can never eat more than one plateful! i think self serve/counter places will suit me better. any suggestions? :)

Go to the Rendezvous de Stars at the WDS. It´s a self service restaurant with nice food in good quality.
Also very nice and mostly not that crowded is Colonel Hathi´s.
If you like Fish´n´Chips go to Toad Hall.
You will find a lot of pictures from the food at DLRP at my website.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter