Newbie Planner

gmi3804

Gonna ruin Maw’s birthday
DVC Silver
I'm starting my research for a late-spring TDL trip, and have a few questions:

Best online TDL resources for planning, besides DIS?

Three TDL ranked in order of convenience? Accommodations?

Number of park days recommended, and hopping on third/fourth days?

End of May/early June OK as far as crowds go? (I'll try to avoid weekends.)

Thanks so much!

http://micechat.com/forums/tokyo-disney-resort/ THere are many knowledgeable people there to offer help and faster turnarounds.

http://deepdisney.com (Japanese site but has a ton of pictures updated daily) They just launched the English version at http://deepdisney.net but with limited info for now.

Sorry, I've never stayed at Disney hotels so no help here. I stayed at Sheraton and other official hotels and I enjoyed Sheraton very much. Beds are American size, the room was large and was very convinient. I hear Hilton offers the same convinience and comfort.

It depends how you would like to tour. My family of 4 usually spends about 2 or 3 days at the parks (2 days at TDL and 1 day at TDS - my kids are smaller so they enjoy TDL more than TDS), but I saw most people recommending 4 days, 3 days minimum.

TDR crowd calendar @ http://www15.plala.or.jp/gcap/disney/ (it's in Japanese but you can guess. By default, you are looking at the TDL crowd calendar. If you click on the blue box radio button, that's for TDS)

Usually, right after the Golden Week (5/6 is the last day this year) gets lower crowds - in fact that's when I'm going :yay:
I wouldn't go in June as the rainy season starts by the second week of June. I believe May is the best season to go in terms of weather and crowd level.

Thanks so much for these links. I'm planning on 6/1-6/5. Hopefully the rain will wait until we're finished. We're going on to Kauai after that, "on the way home."

Really looking forward to planning this trip. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time. I've been going to WDW and DLR since 1973, so I know those like the back of my hand.

Here are a couple of English-language crowd calendars:

http://tdr-tdl-tds.com/en/crowd_calendar/

http://tdrnavi.jp/forecast/disneyland?lang=en

It sounds like you're going during Golden Week, which is pretty crowded. It's a single week in the year with an abundance of celebration days. Japan is pretty much all on holiday that week and the Disney parks are really crowded those days. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2282.html

I usually go for 4 days (1 day at each park and 2 parkhopper days) and I still don't have enough time to do everything, especially if it's a crowded time of year. Count on getting to TDS at rope drop if you want to do Toy Story Mania. I would get on the fp line, then head over to Tower of Terror while the crowds are still pretty low from the wait for TSM fps. My recent experience (late November 2013) went like this: got on TSM fp line at 8:45 am, got my fp at 9:30 am for 7:15 pm. The standby line was at 150 minutes at 9:30 am. I rode ToT and then headed over to DL, where I got a Monsters, Inc., Ride and Go Seek fp for 9:05 pm.

I've stayed at the Hotel Okura and the Hilton and both are great - close to the monorail station with big rooms and lovely views.

Here are a couple of English-language crowd calendars:

http://tdr-tdl-tds.com/en/crowd_calendar/

http://tdrnavi.jp/forecast/disneyland?lang=en

It sounds like you're going during Golden Week, which is pretty crowded. It's a single week in the year with an abundance of celebration days. Japan is pretty much all on holiday that week and the Disney parks are really crowded those days. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2282.html

I usually go for 4 days (1 day at each park and 2 parkhopper days) and I still don't have enough time to do everything, especially if it's a crowded time of year. Count on getting to TDS at rope drop if you want to do Toy Story Mania. I would get on the fp line, then head over to Tower of Terror while the crowds are still pretty low from the wait for TSM fps. My recent experience (late November 2013) went like this: got on TSM fp line at 8:45 am, got my fp at 9:30 am for 7:15 pm. The standby line was at 150 minutes at 9:30 am. I rode ToT and then headed over to DL, where I got a Monsters, Inc., Ride and Go Seek fp for 9:05 pm.

I've stayed at the Hotel Okura and the Hilton and both are great - close to the monorail station with big rooms and lovely views.

Duh - I wrote 5/1-5/5, but I meant 6/1-6/5! I changed my previous post. If I had a brain I'd be dangerous....

Sounds like June 1-5 won't be too bad. I've already secured a room at the TDL Hotel; that one looks most convenient. I like that they'll let you hold a room without taking a deposit, and it's cancelable/changeable up to 14 days prior to check-in.

We'll most likely arrive Sunday afternoon, so we'll have Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday as park days. Our flight to Honolulu isn't until 7:30PM Thursday evening, so we'll have a nice half park day on Thursday as well. We're two adults, and I'm most interested in attractions that are unique to, or significantly better in, TDL than those in the US parks. We do TSM so many times at MK and DCA that it won't be a big deal if we skip it at TDL. But then I'm still researching all the attractions and shows that I'd consider must-dos.

We are going to be there 6/1 for 7 nights, splitting our stay between the Miracosta and TDLH. We are also flying to Honolulu to stay at Aulani "on the way home". This is our honeymoon trip and we could not be more excited! I'm especially excited since it will be my first "new" park since DAK in high school. It will be awesome to experience a park for the first time once again :)

Duh - I wrote 5/1-5/5, but I meant 6/1-6/5! I changed my previous post. If I had a brain I'd be dangerous....

Sounds like June 1-5 won't be too bad. I've already secured a room at the TDL Hotel; that one looks most convenient. I like that they'll let you hold a room without taking a deposit, and it's cancelable/changeable up to 14 days prior to check-in.

We'll most likely arrive Sunday afternoon, so we'll have Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday as park days. Our flight to Honolulu isn't until 7:30PM Thursday evening, so we'll have a nice half park day on Thursday as well. We're two adults, and I'm most interested in attractions that are unique to, or significantly better in, TDL than those in the US parks. We do TSM so many times at MK and DCA that it won't be a big deal if we skip it at TDL. But then I'm still researching all the attractions and shows that I'd consider must-dos.

Whew!

I wouldn't miss TSM, if I were you. The ride is basically the same, but the theming is plussed. Definitely ride Pooh's Hunny Hunt and the Monster's Inc. ride. I never miss it's a small world. Journey to the Center of the Earth and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea are good. Don't miss ToT - it's got a completely different theme. The food is great - make sure you get a popcorn bucket and try lots of different flavors (my favorite is black pepper). I love Sindbad's Storybook Voyage, too.

I'm starting my research for a late-spring TDL trip, and have a few questions:

Thanks so much!

I'm so excited for you, TDLR is such a great park! I was there in November and had a great time.

It looks like you've already locked in your accommodation, and good for you if you can afford to stay in one of the Disney hotels! I was there alone, so wasn't going to pay for a room there myself. FYI, or anyone else who might read this, I stayed at Hotel Okura and it was pretty awful. The room was huge, a little dated, nicely laid out, but my god the bed was horrible. I'm pretty sure the worst one I've ever had to (try and) sleep on. On the plus side, all the 'official' Disney hotels are very convenient. They are all across the road from the monorail station. Okura is *literally* across the road, which is why I picked it over the Hilton or Sheraton (if you read Tripadvisor, etc, you'll see that none of them get particularly good reviews, so location was my main basis). So walk from the station to Okura took five minutes, if that. They still run a shuttle bus, though...! The idea baffled me but yeah, they do.

I would recommend four days, if you have the time. I actually did four and a half days. Because the monorail stops every 4-6 minutes, you can very quickly switch from one park to the other, so hoppers are a good idea. Be sure to get your hand stamped if you do decide to leave a park but want to come back. I missed this the first time and it was just lucky I had a fastpass to prove that I had been at the park earlier that day.

It's good that you're looking at crowd calendars and have found that you're arriving in a slow period :) just keep in mind that the Japanese are very patient people, and don't mind queueing at all. And sometimes queue for things you wouldn't expect (so long lines for popcorn and churros while some rides are walkons...:confused3) also, your experience might be different, but I got to the park just before opening each day and was met with deep lines of people waiting to get in. So if you want to go on TSM, you may need to be there well before 'rope drop'. I didn't have a problem with Pooh or Monsters Inc, but the first time I tried for TSM, I turned the corner of the long street your walk down to the ride entrance and was met with a sea of heads as far as I could see. I didn't bother lining up or even trying again (I just couldn't get myself out of the hotel room early enough lol)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Currently, Disney Hotel guests can enter TDL 15 minutes before the opening through a special entrance. They will open up this special privilege to TDS from 4/14. :goodvibes

Thanks, everyone, for sharing. Good info.

We'll have three complete days plus 9AM-1 or 2PM on the last day. I think we're efficient enough park tourists that we can get in most everything. We once did DLP and DCA both in one day, from 7AM - 1AM, including dinner at Napa Rose, on a fourth of July weekend!

We decided to spring for the TDL Hotel because, hey, we're going that far, right? And our flights will be paid for with miles.

Any opinions on the Polynesian show at TDL? Lunch? Dinner? I have to say, I'm looking at food prices and they don't look that bad, especially for Disney parks.

We didn't find food prices that bad either, but one thing you need to keep in mind when looking at the prices is that the portions will be much smaller than you're used to in America.

We didn't find food prices that bad either, but one thing you need to keep in mind when looking at the prices is that the portions will be much smaller than you're used to in America.

And they're probably big enough! :)

I've usually spent most of my budget on airfare and hotel, so I can't afford to eat in restaurants, so here are some of my favorite snack items.

TDL - The chicken sandwich (on a Mickey hand-shaped bun) at the Plaza Restaurant; the Mickey bun at Boiler Room Bites; chocolate churros at Parkside Wagon.

TDS - The pork rice roll at Liberty Landing Diner (could be Barnacle Bill's, though); the black pepper pork rib at Nautilus Galley; the gyoza sausage bun at the Refreshment Station; The Chandu tail at Sultan's Oasis (I think); the chocolate churro at Open Sesame (flavor may vary); the black pepper popcorn (check the park maps for flavor locations and be ready to buy adorable, refillable popcorn buckets and bring Ziploc bags to bring some of your favorite flavors home with you); the Duffy mochi (full of chocolate pudding) at Cape Cod Confections (I think).

However much you've budgeted for souvenirs, double it. Everything there is beyond cute! The special dishes that come with certain food items are adorable and everything is just so wantable!

ETA - do not miss the pork rice roll! It's sticky rice wrapped in bacon and the most delicious thing on the planet that isn't chocolate.

We are going to be there 6/1 for 7 nights, splitting our stay between the Miracosta and TDLH. We are also flying to Honolulu to stay at Aulani "on the way home". This is our honeymoon trip and we could not be more excited! I'm especially excited since it will be my first "new" park since DAK in high school. It will be awesome to experience a park for the first time once again :)

Thanks so much for these links. I'm planning on 6/1-6/5. Hopefully the rain will wait until we're finished. We're going on to Kauai after that, "on the way home."

Really looking forward to planning this trip. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time. I've been going to WDW and DLR since 1973, so I know those like the back of my hand.

hey… we will be at the Disneyland Hotel the first week of June as well (the 2nd - 6th) :) Any reasonably priced room at Mira Costa was booked up for a party of 4. Yes, 4 we are traveling with our kids (20 mo and 6.5 yo at time of travel) and yes we are certifiably insane. I may see if we can add a day or 2 at Mira Costa but haven’t decided yet. I'll more likely add a couple of days at the Hilton… We are also stopping in Hawaii and planning to stay at Aulani on the return trip. I’m really hoping that it will not be rainy in Japan but DH is a teacher so we have to wait for him to finish up the school year before we can leave. Rain or no rain I’m so super excited!! We’ve book airfare & Disney hotel but that’s it. Excited to plan the rest of Japan (Tokyo & Kyoto) and book Aulani =)

Not trying to hijack this thread but as a fellow "newbie" I have many, many questions!

I've heard that it's not uncommon for the parks to "sell out". We are staying at DLH and I plan to buy tickets upon arrival. Are resort hotel guests guaranteed tickets or is it advisable to purchase in advance?

Is Wifi complimentry at DLH?

Are there refrigerators in the rooms at DLH?

We will be traveling over my birthday. Does TDR do birthday pins? That would be a wonderful keepsake!

Those are a few of my "Disney" related questions. I'm also looking for recommendations for hotels & family appropriate things to do in Tokyo, Kamakura & Kyoto. Since we are spending so money much on our DLH stay I'd like to pay around $200 a night on our additional hotel stays we are a family of 4.

TIA! I'm beyond excited!! :)

Not trying to hijack this thread but as a fellow "newbie" I have many, many questions!

I've heard that it's not uncommon for the parks to "sell out". We are staying at DLH and I plan to buy tickets upon arrival. Are resort hotel guests guaranteed tickets or is it advisable to purchase in advance?

The parks do get busy but it really depends on what days/time you are going. Obviously during summer it will get super busy so you can buy your tickets in advance on TDR's website or if you get to Japan before you go to the parks, you can purchase them at Disney Store's or even go to the Welcome Center at Maihama Station.

O, and they don't do birthday pins they do stickers you can get for free. They do offer a birthday package if you spend 2200 Yen more for your ticket.

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/special/birthday/index.html

Ticket price at bottom of the following page
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/event/e_ticket/index.html

The parks do get busy but it really depends on what days/time you are going. Obviously during summer it will get super busy so you can buy your tickets in advance on TDR's website or if you get to Japan before you go to the parks, you can purchase them at Disney Store's or even go to the Welcome Center at Maihama Station.

O, and they don't do birthday pins they do stickers you can get for free. They do offer a birthday package if you spend 2200 Yen more for your ticket.

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/special/birthday/index.html

Ticket price at bottom of the following page
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/event/e_ticket/index.html

Thanks for the response! This will be my um... 9th consecutive "vacation birthday". At DLP housekeeping put balloons in our room and gave me a birthday card which was a really cool keepsake. Jut wondering if there was any sort of keepsake available at TDR.

The hotels give a nice birthday card from that hotel signed by Mickey. I will try to find the one from Miracosta when I get home to upload a photo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter