Newbie question about renting/transferring

Lmans77

Mouseketeer
We are new owners with a smaller contract as of right now. If we need a few more to complete a stay, I know that we can buy up to 24 from Disney per year. If we need more than that, say under 75 points, do you typically do transfers or rent from another member? I understand that transfer can only happen once per year so that you might not be the best course for a small amount of points. Is the best way just to rent, but then like a non-member renting, you don't have control, correct? Or is there something I'm missing in the rules. Just trying to wrap my head around all of this. Thanks.

You've got it. I would first look for a transfer even if you have to transfer in a bit more than you really need (you can always bank the additional points). I've done two 100 point transfers for example. If you can't find that then look to rent. The OTU points can only be purchased at 7 months so may be less than ideal depending on what you are booking.

I agree with the above that it may be good to get a transfer that can help with a few years.

I did that once, Got 100 extra BLT points, even though i only wanted 25 extra. So, basically, I used the transferred points in the first year and then banked my own points instead, which gave me the ability to carry over,

For example, I had 75 points and wanted 100. So, year 1, used all 100 transferred and banked my own 75, giving me 150 for year 2, Year 2 I used 75 banked and 25 of my current, which allowed me to bank 50 Into year 3, etc,

I just did my first transfer in and it went flawlessly-just under 50 points, significantly cheaper than OTU, and were in my account almost immediately.

How does this work? Do we find someone to transfer points from the rental company?
There are agencies, like dvcstore.com, which will broker transfers for owners. Otherwise, the Rent/Trade Board here and on other DVC forums allow owners to list points available to transfer to other owners. It's a private transaction and requires quite a bit of trust. Since paying for transferred points is against DVC rules, Member Services will not step in if any disputes arise.

How does this work? Do we find someone to transfer points from the rental company?
I would suggest you look here on the boards in the rent/ transfer section. There are some rules that you must follow to post as well. Also, you need to locate someone who has not already transferred once this use year.

I really like the idea of transferring points, but when push comes to shove, it does require you to trust a complete stranger with thousands of dollars. At least with a point rental, you see a confirmation number before you send money. You can use www.DVCstore.com as a middle man for point transfers. You won’t get a deal like you can find on the rent/trade boards here sometimes, but it does provide a level of assurance that you won’t get ripped off.

What I like with transfering points , it is the control over the reservation afterward. It needs trust from the two partys.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter