Newbie question-how do I do this

Plan Man

Mouseketeer
I think this is a very basic question but as I read the bank, borrow, modification etc rules I am a little confused.

I will be a new owner soon. Two contracts both for 200 points and February use year. One at BLT and one at SSR.

Part one: My most basic question: we want use 400 points at our home resort every year. Alternating resorts every other year. Ideally I want to have 200 banked points and 200 current year points.

As I am reading these posts there seem to be some rules regarding which points are picked by the computer first?.

To add in one more question. When we close on our new contracts We will have 120 BLT points for 2024 and 87 SSR points in 2024. I want to bank them all and use 320 BLT points in 2025 and 87 SSR points in 2025 I want to just use 120 plus 200 points in 2025. I want to bank 200 2025 SSR points to use in 2026 and start the 400 points per year that I reference in part one of my question.

I think this is a very basic question but as I read the bank, borrow, modification etc rules I am a little confused.

I will be a new owner soon. Two contracts both for 200 points and February use year. One at BLT and one at SSR.

Part one: My most basic question: we want use 400 points at our home resort every year. Alternating resorts every other year. Ideally I want to have 200 banked points and 200 current year points.

As I am reading these posts there seem to be some rules regarding which points are picked by the computer first?.

To add in one more question. When we close on our new contracts We will have 120 BLT points for 2024 and 87 SSR points in 2024. I want to bank them all and use 320 BLT points in 2025 and 87 SSR points in 2025 I want to just use 120 plus 200 points in 2025. I want to bank 200 2025 SSR points to use in 2026 and start the 400 points per year that I reference in part one of my question.
Computer should always pull banked before current (assuming you have actually banked them). When do you want to use the points in 2025? Based on your early use year, unless you booked a trip for January, your plan would work. Just note you can't combine the 87 SSR points with your BLT points at the 11 month window. If you're not planning to use them, you could look to rent them out and recoup some cash on those to use towards park tickets for your 2025 BLT trip.

Computer should always pull banked before current (assuming you have actually banked them). When do you want to use the points in 2025? Based on your early use year, unless you booked a trip for January, your plan would work. Just note you can't combine the 87 SSR points with your BLT points at the 11 month window. If you're not planning to use them, you could look to rent them out and recoup some cash on those to use towards park tickets for your 2025 BLT trip.
Thanks. Unlikely we will ever go in January. If so, I see I would have to alter the plan. I was going to book the 87 SSR at 11 months at SSR and then see if I can modify at 7 months either at BLT or some other resort?

What do people do with a few extra random points that won’t be used? Can they be donated? Or what is the smallest amount that can reasonably be sold?

Thanks. Unlikely we will ever go in January. If so, I see I would have to alter the plan. I was going to book the 87 SSR at 11 months at SSR and then see if I can modify at 7 months either at BLT or some other resort?

What do people do with a few extra random points that won’t be used? Can they be donated? Or what is the smallest amount that can reasonably be sold?
in your case your excess points would be current UY points so you could always bank them...smallest you could reasonably rent would be 9 points for one night at OKW in a studio in low point season. Some people maybe would take a small point transfer as well if they are a few point short so they don't have to buy the one time use points from Disney.

The system will always take restricted points before current points from any of the contracts you want to use.

If you want to use both contracts for a 7 month booking…each can only be used at its one resort during home resort period, it will use banked from both first before taking the current UY points.

If you only want to use one contract every other year, then just check that one when booking. And the system won’t touch any points from the other.

if you bank all the 2024 points, you will have 320 points to use from thr BLT contract and 387 to use from thr SSR contract for any trip in your 2025 UY.

To use just the BLT points and only finish up with the 87 SSR points, just have the BLT contract checked first when booking. Remember, you won’t have access to using ghe SSR points at BLT until 7 months, so if you book during the home resort period, it will automatically use up the BLT points first.

Then, at 7 months, you can add more nights at BLT, assuming availability, with the 87 SSR points.

As soon as you get to Feb 2025, you can bank the 2025 points into 2026 for SSR.

The system will always take restricted points before current points from any of the contracts you want to use.

If you want to use both contracts for a 7 month booking…each can only be used at its one resort during home resort period, it will use banked from both first before taking the current UY points.

If you only want to use one contract every other year, then just check that one when booking. And the system won’t touch any points from the other.

if you bank all the 2024 points, you will have 320 points to use from thr BLT contract and 387 to use from thr SSR contract for any trip in your 2025 UY.

To use just the BLT points and only finish up with the 87 SSR points, just have the BLT contract checked first when booking. Remember, you won’t have access to using ghe SSR points at BLT until 7 months, so if you book during the home resort period, it will automatically use up the BLT points first.

Then, at 7 months, you can add more nights at BLT, assuming availability, with the 87 SSR points.

As soon as you get to Feb 2025, you can bank the 2025 points into 2026 for SSR.
Thank you! And then I can rinse and repeat. Except booking at SSR with banked points and the then current year at 11 months.

Sounds like you got it.

To follow up on your 2025 BLT reservation. When you use your 320 points at 11 months, you want to think about how you will use your 87 SSR points to book.

I would book a fall back split stay for SSR at 11 months. That way you have your trip booked and don’t have to stress about availability at 7 months at BLT or your wait lists coming through. At 7 months you can modify the reservation or set up a waitlist if there isn’t availability.

You can do up to two waitlists per membership (it sounds like you would have a single membership). In your waitlist you can pick a single room type. So you can’t just waitlist any 1br at BLT. You also must stick to the view category.

Sounds like you got it.

To follow up on your 2025 BLT reservation. When you use your 320 points at 11 months, you want to think about how you will use your 87 SSR points to book.

I would book a fall back split stay for SSR at 11 months. That way you have your trip booked and don’t have to stress about availability at 7 months at BLT or your wait lists coming through. At 7 months you can modify the reservation or set up a waitlist if there isn’t availability.

You can do up to two waitlists per membership (it sounds like you would have a single membership). In your waitlist you can pick a single room type. So you can’t just waitlist any 1br at BLT. You also must stick to the view category.
Thanks so much. Your advice with the booking SSR is good. These boards aer so helpful. I have been using them for years. I should have bought a DVC membership years ago. We always camped with our camper but FW has changed a lot over the years as well as my comfort preferences. Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter