Newbie using an ECV in WDW?

aubriee

<font color=brown><marquee>Chocolate always makes
I'll be taking my 73 y/o mom for her first trip to WDW Dec 9-18. She is a very brittle diabetic (who must eat on a very regular schedule) and also has high blood pressure and high cholesterol. She also has severe arthritis in both knees (needs bilateral knee replacements, but refuses). Anyway she will definitely need an ECV to get around in WDW. The probelm is that at home she won't use anything, so both of us know very little about them. Also she doesn't have dementia or anything, but is very easily confused.

1. How hard will it be for her to maneuver the ECV in the parks and mainly for the transportation system? We will be at POFQ and want to dine at least one night at Whispering Canyon. Will she be able to get on the boats to DTD and if we're at MK will she be able to get on the boat to WL? How about riding the boat from MGM over to the Boardwalk?

2. I would never cut in line, but I know at the bus stops people with ECVs are loaded first. If I'm in the line and the CM loads her, but I'm not able to get on that particular bus, she would be in a total panic (she has absolutely no sense of direction, gets lost very easily, panics, then has difficulty thinking clearly). I don't even want to think about the situation that bus driver would have on his hands if we happen to get seperated, and then when she did arrive at a stop I know I'd never find her again. There is no way she would think to simply wait there until I arrived.

3. I understand that for most of the rides ECVs can just go through the regular lines, but there are some rides where the ECVs go through a different line. How do you know if a ride has a special entrance for ECVs and again can I go with her through those lines? I guess I'm a little paranoid, but I'm afraid of losing her in the crowds.

4. For the shows (CP, FOTLK, Beauty & Beast, Fantasmic,) is there anyway I could sit with her? She can walk, just not any distance and she can't stand for long periods. Could she leave the ECV and go into the shows? How safe would it be to leave the ECV?

5. How early would we need to get a good viewing area for the parades, since she won't be able to stand? Where could she have a good view of Illuminations? We'll be doing the CP on Dec 9th. Would we have time if we did the first seating at the Coral Reef a (around 4:30pm), watch the tree lighting at 6:00pm, see CP at 8:15pm, and still be able to get her a good viewing spot for Illuminations?

This will truly be a trip of a lifetime for her and I want it to be very special, but am unsure about two females maneuvering WDW with an ECV, when neither of us are used to one. Thanks for any advice!

aubriee said:
I'll be taking my 73 y/o mom for her first trip to WDW Dec 9-18. She is a very brittle diabetic (who must eat on a very regular schedule) and also has high blood pressure and high cholesterol. She also has severe arthritis in both knees (needs bilateral knee replacements, but refuses). Anyway she will definitely need an ECV to get around in WDW. The probelm is that at home she won't use anything, so both of us know very little about them. Also she doesn't have dementia or anything, but is very easily confused.

1. How hard will it be for her to maneuver the ECV in the parks and mainly for the transportation system? We will be at POFQ and want to dine at least one night at Whispering Canyon. Will she be able to get on the boats to DTD and if we're at MK will she be able to get on the boat to WL? How about riding the boat from MGM over to the Boardwalk?
A. Take her to a large grocery store or Walmart (etc) and try out one of theirs that have baskets on them. The ones rented at WDW are smaller and more maneuverable and also have four wheels.

B. The off-site rentals are three wheel and much more maneuverable and easier to handle than the ones Disney rents.
2. I would never cut in line, but I know at the bus stops people with ECVs are loaded first. If I'm in the line and the CM loads her, but I'm not able to get on that particular bus, she would be in a total panic (she has absolutely no sense of direction, gets lost very easily, panics, then has difficulty thinking clearly). I don't even want to think about the situation that bus driver would have on his hands if we happen to get seperated, and then when she did arrive at a stop I know I'd never find her again. There is no way she would think to simply wait there until I arrived.
The driver will load the entire party at the same time. You will not get separated.
3. I understand that for most of the rides ECVs can just go through the regular lines, but there are some rides where the ECVs go through a different line. How do you know if a ride has a special entrance for ECVs and again can I go with her through those lines? I guess I'm a little paranoid, but I'm afraid of losing her in the crowds.
The entire party (maximum of six including the person in the wc/ECV go in together.
4. For the shows (CP, FOTLK, Beauty & Beast, Fantasmic,) is there anyway I could sit with her? She can walk, just not any distance and she can't stand for long periods. Could she leave the ECV and go into the shows? How safe would it be to leave the ECV?
A. The shows have spaces designed for two wcs or ECVs with seating on each side of the spaces which is reserved for members of the party.

B. If she prefers, she can park at the show. As a matter of fact, for CP they prefer that people park on the side and walk to a seat if they can.

C. Just make sure she removes the key and take anything you cannot afford to lose out of the basket.
5. How early would we need to get a good viewing area for the parades, since she won't be able to stand? Where could she have a good view of Illuminations? We'll be doing the CP on Dec 9th. Would we have time if we did the first seating at the Coral Reef a (around 4:30pm), watch the tree lighting at 6:00pm, see CP at 8:15pm, and still be able to get her a good viewing spot for Illuminations?
A. There are special viewing areas for all the parades for people in wcs and ECVs. If they are crowded, they prefer a maximum of one additional person with the wc/ECV.

B. It will be difficult to get one of the better (right at the fence) viewing spaces for IllumiNations since CP runs about a half hour and the best spaces tend to be from Norway past the entrace to Future World and then up to UK.
This will truly be a trip of a lifetime for her and I want it to be very special, but am unsure about two females maneuvering WDW with an ECV, when neither of us are used to one. Thanks for any advice!
One key thing is to be aware of your surroundings and the people around you. If you are going to stare at the scenery/buildings stop and sit, don't do it while driving as wou will be invisible to most people.

Have fun, and please report back how it went.

aubriee,

Thanks for you post and questions. I too will be taking a parent for the first time to Epcot and AK Dec 8-13. He is 76, and has never used an ECV but I am insisting we rent one for this trip. He has not idea how large the parks are. He told me he "needs to get in shape anyway, so the walking might be good for him". I told him he would be doing plenty of walking even with the ECV.

One thing I have decided is to make this trip about him. I have no expectations that I will be able to show him all I would like too. I would rather he enjoy every bit he sees than to wear him out trying to make him experience too much. This why I am opting for the early dinner and the 6:45 CP show.

He too has food issues with regard to his medication. So I will pack him a cold pack of foods he can eat when he has too, instead of searching around for something to his liking. He is of the depression era and goes into serious sticker shock at, what he feels is "outrageous for a sandwich". :) I just humor him.

I have an ulterior motive with this trip. He lives close enough to world that he could easily drive over for day or weekend trips. My goal is to peak his interest in the hope that he will find this a possible destination to help with his loneliness and missing my mother. He has always loved Christmas, and I feel showing him the holiday decor will brighten his spirit.

Good luck and I hope your mother has a magical time. :wave:

besides what Cheshire Figment posted, check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board.
Hope you have a great time.

Be sure you are with her and not in line and the will load you together. Bus driver once left my daughters after he loaded me. They had to come one the next bus. They weren't right there when i was loaded and he just missed them. And once he started he wouldn't stop so they could join me.

The is a booklet for Guest with Disabilities for each park or ask the castmember when you arrive at the ride

She will be able to remain in the wheelchair for all of these if she wants. At CP I would advise she transfer if possible. They will take it from her as she enters and then you get it back at the end or you may take it to the seating area if needed and then take it and park it for her.

For the handicapped seating areas you need to arrive about 1 hour ahead of time for the parade. There are several handicappped areas for Illuminations, check the Guest with Disabilities booklet. Off the top of my head there is one between Itally and Germany and one in front of the left store as you enter the World Showcase

Where can I get the booklet for guests with disabilities?

I'm usually a commando type wearing myself ragged, but know I'm going to have to slow down for this trip. We've all had a rough year and this trip is about her. I really want her to enjoy it. She has said she mainly wants to see the Chrsitmas decorations and shows, so that's primarily what we are going to do. I've never really had a chance to tour the resorts, so it will also be a first for me. I bought us tickets for MVMCP for Dec 13th and plan to do the CP the night we arrive on Dec 9th. She wants to see the Osbourne lights, Fantasmic, the parades, and all the fireworks. What else would recommend for a 73 y/o who has never been? I was debating on HDDR, but was concerned about getting her and the ECV back to the resort from Camp Wilderness. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh by the way, I'm going to rent her an ECV from offsite, as I want to know she will be able to have it for all ten days.

kaytieeldr said:
Actually, the one at the parks isn't much prettier ;)
and most of the information is in this link, so it's great for planning.
When you get to WDW, you can sometimes find a coppy at your resort. If not, just stop in Guest Services in the first park you get to. They should be able to give you a copy of the guidebook for each park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter