chris123abc

Earning My Ears
I was thinking of taking a day during our disney trip to go to sea world. I'm a little confused as to what it is exactly if we only go to sea world without discovery cove or any add ons. Is it just an aquarium/zoo? Would it be the same or similar to the Bronx zoo, my aquarium or even mystic Connecticut. I wouldn't want to give up a day at disney if I could have a similar experience close to home

Hi Chris, I don't mean to sound overly critical, but surely if you have the ability to join and post to this forum, then you can also read the many threads for Sea World and visit their website. To answer your question, though, I think you will find that Sea World is more than an aquarium/zoo. Like Animal Kingdom, it is a mix of aquarium/zoo and amusement park. It has two great roller coasters, a log flume ride similar to Splash Mountain, several shows, plus other attractions. Good luck!

I was thinking of taking a day during our disney trip to go to sea world. I'm a little confused as to what it is exactly if we only go to sea world without discovery cove or any add ons. Is it just an aquarium/zoo? Would it be the same or similar to the Bronx zoo, my aquarium or even mystic Connecticut. I wouldn't want to give up a day at disney if I could have a similar experience close to home

It's shows....featuring mostly marine animals (dolphins, whales, sea lions, etc) but also one (Pets Ahoy) which highlights the abilities of cats, dogs, birds, skunks, pigs, and more. All of them are incredibly done.

Its rides...big ones for the thrill seekers (coasters Manta and Kraken, motion simulator Wild Arctic, flume ride Journey to Atlantis), and some family-friendly options too (4D experience Turtle Trek, revolving SkyTower, and the new penguin ride Antarctica). There's a special play area for the younger guests at Shamu's Happy Harbor which showcases kid-sized rides (like the Shamu Coaster, Sea Carousel, Swishy Fishies, climbing area, etc.).

It's exhibits....beautiful aquariums highlighting a variety of sea life. Sharks, sea horses, eels, jellyfish, coral, sting rays, and everything in between. There are turtles, pelicans, flamingos, manatees, alligators, to name the ones off the top of my head.

It's animal feeding opportunities. Feed the dolphins, sea lions, sting rays, and more. There's a small charge for each, or you can buy a bundle that includes feedings for multiple animals for one price.

Its a beautiful park that combines aquariums, animal exhibits, rides, shows, and educational/enviromental learning opportunities into one. It is a place where you can go at a slower pace and just soak up the beautiful of the gardens, the architecture, and the animals. And for me, I would take a SW day over a Disney day without question :) .

Visiting SW is very different from visiting an aquarium or the zoo. Yes, there are animals, but viewing them in enclosures or tanks is not the main focus.
The best way I know how to explain it is to think about the interactive or decorative wait lines at Disney or the attractions in Future World that dump you out into some type of educational / game room. The animals at SW are like this; they are incorporated into the wait lines or are found at the end of an attraction. For instance, the queue for the roller-coaster Manta winds through a sting ray aquarium, and the end of the Penguin ride spits you out into the Penguin enclosure.

All the animal viewing is spread pretty evenly throughout the park and incorporated into the attractions. This gives you many different ways to see the animals. For instance, you could do a dolphin tour, you could feed the dolphins (this is fairly inexpensive to do), you could go by and simply watch them swim around their enclosure, or you could go to one of the dolphin shows and watch them perform tricks. Same for the sting rays, you can pet them, feed them, simply view them in the ride queue or ignore them altogether. I really enjoyed viewing the animals when we got to those spots, the rest of my family, not so much. They usually ran past the viewing areas and onto the next attraction.

If you aren't a big fan of animals or marine life, I'm not sure how much you will appreciate the park as that is the theme. However, there is a lot more to do than simply gazing at animals.

As far as attractions there are:

2 roller coasters, neither of them kiddy coasters, fast intense, upside down

A log flume ride similar to Splash Mountain

A penguin ride in which you ride in a gliding / spinning vehicle through a winter wonderland following the life of a baby penguin.

A simulated helicopter ride (think the Star Tours attraction) over the artic which ends with you arriving at an artic outpost where you can see real polar bears. At Christmas, this attraction is converted into the Polar Express taking you to the North Pole to see Santa.

A 3D 360 degree theater that gives an educational video on the life of Sea Turtles.

A stingray touch and feel station.

A play area and kiddy carnival ride section with a variety of different types of rides including a kiddy coaster. I’d say it is geared toward the 10 and under set. However, my tweens still spent a good amount of time here, so some of these rides may appeal to older kids as well.

Then you have a number of shows which include some with dolphins, whales, sea lions, seals, acrobats, high divers, dogs and cats. The shows are the big draw and very good.

On top of all that, there are a few extra fee activities offered as well like behind the scenes tours, animal feedings, and special themed meals.

I think it is worth at least a day. It usually takes us two. However, I have always been a big fan of aquariums and sea-life. I also really enjoy watching the shows, and we always try to fit them all in which takes up a lot of time. My family also really enjoy the Turtle and Penguin attractions, love to ride Manta over and over again, and enjoy the flume ride when it is hot enough to get wet. Once you add in a small amount of animals viewing, maybe one or two enclosures, and meals, you get a pretty full day.

Thank you. I was just unsure if the basic admission as there seems to be so many add ons. I didn't want to go if the basic was not enough

Thank you. I was just unsure if the basic admission as there seems to be so many add ons. I didn't want to go if the basic was not enough

The basic admission is MORE than enough :thumbsup2 . Though I would budget for some animal feedings, because its such a cool experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter