Newbies need advice for a 4-day trip

MarcyMouse

Mouseketeer
First timers this summer, and I would love to hear your advice! We have four days planned in August, crowd levels are 9-10. My husband and I have a baby and two older children.
With four days, will we have time to see everything in the parks, as well as having lots of pool time?
Hotels: I am thinking express passes with these crowds are necessary, but we aren't looking to spend a lot of money. I booked one night at RP for two days of express passes, then two nights at CB. Do you think it would be worth the money to make it two nights at RP, and one at CB, for an extra day of express pass?
Passes: I was originally thinking we go cheap and get the one-park-only tickets. Would park-to-park be so much better, or not worth the extra money? I know you can't take the Hogwart's Express, but that is not a deal breaker for us.

Thanks!

I would do the park to park. The best plan of attack I have used is to spend your first two long days in the park...get up early for EMH, go straight to the main HP attraction for whichever park is open early that day. Use your EP to get through everything you can that day. Day two, go for EMH again, maybe do one small attraction and get in line for HE & be the first over to the other park and straight to the main HP attraction in the other park, and spend the rest of the day there using express. On day three you will need a little break, so roll out mid morning in your swim clothes, but go to IOA and ride all the water rides then head back to the pool. You may need naps, and some relaxing time, then clean up and a nice relaxing dinner. This may be a great night to go to Lombards on the Cinematic Dinner Experience and the dessert bar that goes along with it. Enjoy a little bit of CityWalk. Day 4 head back and do whatever you missed or want to see again.

Have a great trip, your 9-10 yr olds are at the perfect age to start their love of UO!

I would do the park to park. The best plan of attack I have used is to spend your first two long days in the park...get up early for EMH, go straight to the main HP attraction for whichever park is open early that day. Use your EP to get through everything you can that day. Day two, go for EMH again, maybe do one small attraction and get in line for HE & be the first over to the other park and straight to the main HP attraction in the other park, and spend the rest of the day there using express. On day three you will need a little break, so roll out mid morning in your swim clothes, but go to IOA and ride all the water rides then head back to the pool. You may need naps, and some relaxing time, then clean up and a nice relaxing dinner. This may be a great night to go to Lombards on the Cinematic Dinner Experience and the dessert bar that goes along with it. Enjoy a little bit of CityWalk. Day 4 head back and do whatever you missed or want to see again.

Have a great trip, your 9-10 yr olds are at the perfect age to start their love of UO!

Thanks for the advice! You make it sound like such a fun trip!
Is it better to do 3 day park to park tickets, or 4 days of one park tickets? Sounds like park to park is much more convenient and necessary than we're used to with disney.

Check out getting one AP to see if can get a discount at RP. Also, get a discount there if you are there three or more nights.

I think the park to park is well worth it, and you will use it, but not necessary & the suggestion of getting and AP for 1 person is a great one...you get to save on hotel, as well as food and merch throughout and will be a saving in the long run!

Last edited:
1. With four days, will we have time to see everything in the parks, as well as having lots of pool time?

2. Do you think it would be worth the money to make it two nights at RP, and one at CB, for an extra day of express pass?

3. Would park-to-park be so much better, or not worth the extra money?

Thanks!

1. Yes, you will have plenty of time for the pool.

2. Yes, if you plan on spending a lot of time on rides, especially if you want to do repeat rides or headliners, and don't like waiting in line. If you are ok waiting anywhere from 30 minutes to 1.5hr, you could probably get by with a little planning. Personally, I like the peace of mind the passes offer. I'm not worrying if we sleep in late or trying to rush to fit something in. We can just go where we want when we want. I always miss my pass on the days we don't get one. We still have fun, but never seem to do as much, and those days always seem more rushed and hectic. If you are good spending a slower low key day in the park - catching a few shows, seeing characters, watching parades, visiting less popular attractions, or just hanging by the pool, I wouldn't bother.

3. YES!!! At Disney I can easily stay in one park and never hop, but not at Universal. I'm not sure why it happens, but I feel like we probably end up hopping back and forth anywhere from 2 to 4 times each day. Part of it is the convenience. Both parks are so close together. From the front of one park to the other feels more like switching lands at Disney than switching parks. If I remember right, it's only about a 5-10 minute walk between the 2 parks. The train makes switching from the back of both parks quick and easy as well. Since it is so convenient, we usually end up doing it a lot. We will switch to go to specific restaurants, or to revisit a gift shop, or to get certain rides in during a less crowded or better time. For instance, we were rained out one time, but because of the park to park it was no big deal. We just did all the indoor attractions in both parks. Without access to both parks our available attraction options would have been cut in two, and we probably would have ended up leaving early.

Some thoughts:

I also second 1 person getting an AP pass to get the room discount. It is only about $50 to $100 more than a 3 day, but your savings can be in the hundreds of dollars per night on room cost alone. I just booked APH rate for July 4th week at $250 a night at Portifino. Rack rate was $400 and something a night. EP for my dates were close to $100 a person, making 2 days of EP close to $800 for 4 people (maximum room occupancy). The extra $100 I spent was well worth the $130 I saved per night, plus the $400 per each park day on free EP. Then on top of that, there are also discounts on restaurants, souvenirs, and parking.

As far as tickets, currently there is a discounted 14 day park to park ticket being offered that even includes the Wet n Wild Waterpark. It is about the same price as a 3 day park to park ticket, $250. That would be my recommendation. The only catch is it must be used this year. The fine print says first visit must be by 12-18-16 and ticket expires the last day of December 2016.

You should think about the 14 day 3 park pass, I think it's about $266 ( the 3 parks are IOA, US, and Wet-n-Wild

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter