"Newest" Moms Hangout... take 2!

A totally different direction entirely..... any moms around here DVC members? When discussing our potential vacation plans, DH surprised me by saying 'maybe we should price out DVC ownership.' We've taken a trip every year since 2006..... so in a way it makes sense. I dunno. Was just wondering if there were any DVC moms to sell me on it. :goodvibes

I am a DVC mommy. We love it and have been members since 2002 at the BCV's. We love the extra room, the w/d is great, the kitchen is wonderful. Getting a king bed is fab. Ahhh, how I love my DVC. Now, we have yet to take a trip with the baby, so I am of no help there. But when we do, it will be nice to have the space for her to play.:thumbsup2

A totally different direction entirely..... any moms around here DVC members? When discussing our potential vacation plans, DH surprised me by saying 'maybe we should price out DVC ownership.' We've taken a trip every year since 2006..... so in a way it makes sense. I dunno. Was just wondering if there were any DVC moms to sell me on it. :goodvibes

There is a GREAT article on Mousesavers about it. Basically unless you go every year and stay at a deluxe for at least 7 nights, it doesn't make sense financially...but emotionally? I'd be all over it, if I could convince DH.

Resells are REALLy hot right now, because of the economy. People are getting pretty good deals.

It is seriously the best thing ever!!!! We too, go every year, and decided this was in our best interest. We have been members for about 2 years now, and are getting ready to take our second stay on points. Here's all the reasons I loved staying there with a baby...

1) Extra space! We stayed in a 2 BR with a total of 4 adults and 1 baby. We had so much room. We had her crib in our bedroom, but her playmat and stroller stayed in the living room, and there was still plenty of room.

2) In room laundry - we didn't have to pack nearly as many clothes as we usually do, though I still did. :rolleyes1 Isabelle spits up frequently though, and I hate letting her clothes sit nasty, so it was very convenient having laundry right there in our room.

3) Pack N Play and highchair available in room without having to request them.

4) Our home resort is BLT, and hubby loves the monorail. That in itself kinda sold him on it. LOL. It was very convenient to stay there though, and have monorail access to MK and Epcot. We didn't have to mess with a stroller and a bus for those two resorts. My logic is that MK will be her favorite for awhile with so much for the little ones, and Epcot is my favorite, so only having to take a bus to 2 out of 4 parks is awesome.

5) Full kitchen - this came in very handy for us as we eat breakfast in the room. This next trip it will be nice to have the extra kitchen space for all the things we didn't need last time like bottles, sippies, baby food, etc.

6) Free internet so you can post pictures for all of us other DISers (and family too, I suppose) waiting back at home for reports.

I really could go on and on (and on and on) about why DVC is great, but I now have a hungry baby to feed. If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask away though. I say DO IT!!!! If nothing else, it gives you a good reason to "need" to go back year after year. :wizard:

Anyone have any good ideas on what to get DH for his first Fathers Day?
He bought me a matching mom necklace and bracelet set. Also a new ipod touch I've been wanting.
I'm clueless on what to get him. :confused3

Dh is easy! He is a big hunter, and in MS our hunter's licenses have a wildlife print taken by photographer Joe Mac Hudsbeth. He also issues a print with the same picture. We are one of about 5 dozen people who have the complete sets. I order it every year and get it framed, then when the license expires we add it under the picture.

http://southernfocus.com/

The problem this year is I ordered the print months ago when they 1st came out, and now I don't remember where I put it! I need to get it framed soon! I hope I have time to look for it this weekend.:rolleyes1

I will order these prints for as long as they exist. We had the first 3 or 4 when our house burned 10 yrs ago. I contacted Mr. Hudsbeth to see if I could re-order (he has since sold out of the first several years prints). He sent the whole collection for free, plus sent extra prints for any "extra walls" I may have. We met him a few years ago, and he is a wonderful man!

Thanks for all the thoughts about DVC. Obviously we still need to think & talk about this a bit more. And of course make sure that we could handle it financially.

Staley glad you had a (mostly) great trip! You've cemented the idea that we need a car, at least for as long as the twins will require a stroller. Lots to think about.

Our nights have sucked beyond belief. Katie has been just miserable. Last night she must not be feeling well, either teething or getting a cold or something. Last night she would not sleep in her crib, only while being held. So DH or I would put her down & then 1/2 hr later she be up again wailing. Not quite sure how DH dragged himself off to work this AM. We were both trashed from last night (& the night before.) I know it's not for forever, but man does it suck at the moment.

If any of you girls do trip reports will you post the link here? I really want to take Jake, but am interested in hearing others experiences first.

Staley- id love to see your pictures!

I applaud all you Moms (and Dads) out there who have taken their babies on vacation. :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: I just don't think I could do it. Just thinking of the plane ride sends chills down my spine.:eek: Natalie LOVES (!!!!!) her routine and so do I. Maybe when she is two but I am thinking more like 3. There are some places we are planning on going next year, but they are all car trips. She does great in the car. We are going to go to the Hyatt Hill Country, a great place for kiddo's. I can't wait to take her to Disney, but I think we are going to wait until she is a wee bit older.

How old is Natalie? My last one is a big fan of the routine too, but being the 3rd kid, she doesn't get to follow her schedule everyday and she is learning to adapt. She is much more pleasant when we can be home all day for her to eat, play, nap in her bed all at the right times, but unfortunately life doesn't work out to where she can do that daily. It is mildly annoying for me as I know she'd be much happier if we could just stay in the house, but at the same time, I think it's good to learn how to deal with different situations so may as well learn that as a baby.

We do try to maintain things where we can though. Like when we were in Puerto Rico with my mom and a bunch of her coworkers earlier this month, I stayed in the room with Scarlett to put her to bed while my husband went to dinner with our older kids and my mom. I just didn't think it was fair to Scarlett (or anyone around her) to keep her out in a restaurant way past her usual bedtime. And the hotel provided pack n' plays at the pool/beach so she was able to nap out there while our older kids swam.

We have flown with her twice so far, once from DC to Tucson and the 2nd time from DC to Puerto Rico and she was pretty good on all the flights except 1, and that was the connecting leg from Dallas to Tucson. This summer we are going on a Baltic Disney cruise so I am hoping she sleeps on the flight from NYC to London, otherwise we will all be miserable.

We took our older ones to Disney starting at just under 3 months old, but that just can't happen with this kid cause we're moving and don't have the time, nor the expendable money, to head down to Florida at the moment. I am hoping to get to DL once we are out in Tucson though.

We are planning to take Carys to Disney for her 4th birthday and I am already super excited about it. We will drive down and stop at a friend's house along the way so we don't have to pay for a hotel.

So we had to take Carys to the dr yesterday (thank goodness for weekend hours). She had been coughing this really sharp cough and gagging a lot! Not being able to catch her breath and it was really scary. She actually had an episode at the doctor's office which I was glad happened so that they could see what I was talking about. They gave her a steroid medicine for croup and she is also now on Zantac for acid reflux. If this doesn't work then they said they will do an upper GI. Goodness! I'm not sure how long it takes for the Zantac to work, but it seems she isn't coughing as much today which is good. Knock on wood!! :goodvibes

Hope everyone had a good weekend. DH almost finished our deck but Home Depot delivered the wrong size posts so we have to wait to get those to finish. But it looks so nice!!!! :goodvibes

Elliott participated in his first race this weekend. We had a big marathon in Green Bay, and for the first time, they had a min-marathon (2.62 miles). My older DS had been training for it with a running club from school, so he and DH ran it (finished in 20:24!! Not bad for a 10 year old!), and my DSD and I walked it, with Elliott in his stroller. What a wonderful time we had! Perfect weather (and living in Wisconsin, it can still be snowing in May!), and the route took us right through Lambeau Field, which was AWESOME!! Elliott loved watching all the people around us, and would give a big grin to anyone who looked his way!

So we had to take Carys to the dr yesterday (thank goodness for weekend hours). She had been coughing this really sharp cough and gagging a lot! Not being able to catch her breath and it was really scary. She actually had an episode at the doctor's office which I was glad happened so that they could see what I was talking about. They gave her a steroid medicine for croup and she is also now on Zantac for acid reflux. If this doesn't work then they said they will do an upper GI. Goodness! I'm not sure how long it takes for the Zantac to work, but it seems she isn't coughing as much today which is good. Knock on wood!! :goodvibes

How long has she been coughing? Does she spit up a lot? I didn't realize you had been dealing with reflux as well. I'm guessing this has been a bad problem for many weeks if they want to do an upper GI, but I have to say, as a mom of a reflux baby, that it seems really extreme to jump to an upper GI if Zantac doesn't work, especially if the ped thought it might be croup.

I have posted about Scarlett's reflux before, but in case you are interested in another opinion before resorting to an upper GI, I'll tell you her story. Feel free to totally disregard it if it doesn't apply to you, but hearing stories of other people's kids helped me realize it was in fact reflux with Scarlett and to try meds.

Scarlett's initial symptoms were a constant cough, wet burps, gagging in her sleep, constant spitting up, projectile vomiting, very frequent hiccups, crying excessively all day, but particularly surrounding feedings. She would pull off, arch her back, and scream while nursing. I couldn't get her to latch on and stay on there cause she was constantly screaming. She would also only eat small meals (I guess cause her body knew she'd throw up more if she ate too much at once), so she was nursing roughly every 45 minutes all day long. She couldn't lay flat on her back at all, without screaming in pain. Oh, and her breath constantly smelled of vomit. She was generally a miserable baby. And having had 2 other kids who did their share of crying as newborns, I knew this was excessive and abnormal. And so was the projectile vomiting. My son spit up a lot, but this was way different. And all of those symptoms were present by 1 month old. Well before then actually, but at her 1 month visit to the ped, they were in full force.

So we started Zantac at her 1 month checkup and were on it a full week with very little difference. The ped then had us try Prevacid and 3 days later we had a new baby. She was happy, no more full days of screaming, she finally slept for more than 10 minutes at a clip, and in her own bed, not upright, wasn't pulling off and screaming during feedings, started spacing out feedings and taking in more at a meal. She still hiccuped, threw up, coughed, gagged, and spit up a lot, but she didn't seem as bothered by it anymore, or at least she wasn't reacting with screams. She literally went from crying all day to smiling all day.

Her Zantac dose had been .9mL twice a day and the Prevacid dose is 1/4 30mg tablet twice a day. If the Prevacid hadn't worked, next step was to do a 1/2 tablet in the morning and 1/4 tablet at night. If that still didn't have an effect we would have gone to different medicines. One option was a combo of Zantac and Prevacid, another was to try Prilosec. I am not sure where we were going to go from there since the Prevacid worked, but testing had never been mentioned so I am assuming it was a ways off.

Additionally, I cut all dairy out of my diet when we started the Prevacid. It was just based on the suggestion of a friend initially, but when we saw such an improvement I wasn't sure if it was the Prevacid or the dairy so I just stuck with both. I have since tried twice to reintroduce dairy and Scarlett spent the next couple of days throwing up more than usual and crying a lot. Same effect if I skip a dose of the medicine (we were hoping to wean her off), and in fact we just went up to 1/2 tablet in the morning and 1/4 at night as she was starting to get a bit fussy when she'd cough or spit up.

But if the Zantac doesn't work and you are nursing, I'd suggest doing a trial of dairy-free, or see what food you eat the most or a lot of and cut that out for a week. If you're doing formula, ask about trying a soy formula, or the next step after that would be the everything-free formulas like Nutramigen or Alimentum. If there isn't an allergy issue, there are also formulas like Enfamil A.R., which has rice cereal in it to thicken it, which can help reduce spit up. If you are nursing and want to pump, you can talk with your ped about adding rice cereal. Mine had suggested that as a next step as well, but we didn't have to try that (thank gosh as I am really not a pumper!).

Anyway, please don't think I am trying to tell you what to do or anything like that, but if you are having reflux issues, and looking for advice on what to do if the Zantac doesn't work, then maybe this will be helpful.

Also, some other moms on this thread have had reflux issues and have done some of the things I mentioned, but haven't personally tried. Maybe check with them on their experiences as well.

ETA: One other thing, reflux meds won't take away the reflux symptoms really, they only take away the pain associated with the reflux.

How old is Natalie? My last one is a big fan of the routine too, but being the 3rd kid, she doesn't get to follow her schedule everyday and she is learning to adapt. She is much more pleasant when we can be home all day for her to eat, play, nap in her bed all at the right times, but unfortunately life doesn't work out to where she can do that daily. It is mildly annoying for me as I know she'd be much happier if we could just stay in the house, but at the same time, I think it's good to learn how to deal with different situations so may as well learn that as a baby.

She will be 11 months this week :scared1: Time has gone by so quickly. She is an only child so it is very easy for me to keep her schedule. We do travel once a month to my parents, it is a 3 hour car ride, and she does great. But even there, we try to keep her on schedule. Not in a drill sgt. way, but in keeping with a routine sort of way.

Pretty quiet around here!

I don't have much to add to the discussion! We had a really bad night a couple of nights ago and I totally lost it. Lily's sleep has been really awful for the last month or so. About 5 nights a week, she's up every 1.5-2 hours. Then the other 2 nights she'll only get up once. It's baffling and exhausting. I did some research and found out about the 9 month sleep regression and it has all the hallmarks. I'm just praying she grows out of it before I totally lose my mind. Just when you think you little terrible sleeper can't possibly get worse...

Other than that she is wonderful. She's super happy and loves to crawl and explore. She is SO in to Mickey Mouse. I can't wait for WDW.

Hope everyone is doing well!

I applaud all you Moms (and Dads) out there who have taken their babies on vacation. :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: I just don't think I could do it. Just thinking of the plane ride sends chills down my spine.:eek: Natalie LOVES (!!!!!) her routine and so do I. Maybe when she is two but I am thinking more like 3. There are some places we are planning on going next year, but they are all car trips. She does great in the car. We are going to go to the Hyatt Hill Country, a great place for kiddo's. I can't wait to take her to Disney, but I think we are going to wait until she is a wee bit older.

With my first we did our first real vacation (to Disney) the week before he turned 3. Had he been full term and healthy, without disability & delays I suspect we would have gone sooner. As it was it took us until he was nearly 3 to adjust to the 'new normal' of special needs parenthood -- that this was our life now & we had to decide how we wanted to live it.

We do try to maintain things where we can though. Like when we were in Puerto Rico with my mom and a bunch of her coworkers earlier this month, I stayed in the room with Scarlett to put her to bed while my husband went to dinner with our older kids and my mom. I just didn't think it was fair to Scarlett (or anyone around her) to keep her out in a restaurant way past her usual bedtime. And the hotel provided pack n' plays at the pool/beach so she was able to nap out there while our older kids swam.

We have flown with her twice so far, once from DC to Tucson and the 2nd time from DC to Puerto Rico and she was pretty good on all the flights except 1, and that was the connecting leg from Dallas to Tucson. This summer we are going on a Baltic Disney cruise so I am hoping she sleeps on the flight from NYC to London, otherwise we will all be miserable.

We took our older ones to Disney starting at just under 3 months old, but that just can't happen with this kid cause we're moving and don't have the time, nor the expendable money, to head down to Florida at the moment. I am hoping to get to DL once we are out in Tucson though.

My oldest also was really into his routines, especially naptime. We respected naptime religiously, he really needed his rest, if he did not get the naps he needed he was a bear, a miserable unhappy bear. My FIL & his wife were shocked at how good natured & happy he was when we stayed w/ them at their summer house. They also didn't quite get why we made plans around naptime & someone took a break to get him to sleep every afternoon. We were like duh, why do you think he is happy & good natured? Apparently FIL's wife's daughter did not believe in naps when he kids were little & she had screeching unhappy kids.

We are planning to take Carys to Disney for her 4th birthday and I am already super excited about it. We will drive down and stop at a friend's house along the way so we don't have to pay for a hotel.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. DH almost finished our deck but Home Depot delivered the wrong size posts so we have to wait to get those to finish. But it looks so nice!!!! :goodvibes

Sorry about the reflux! I'm a silent reflux veteran, all my kids have/had it to various degrees. Oldest was on Zantac, these 2 have been on Pepcid. I think I'd be going a little bonkers if I thought I wasn't going to get back to Disney for 4 yrs.... but then we're a little crazy like that. :goodvibes

ETA: One other thing, reflux meds won't take away the reflux symptoms really, they only take away the pain associated with the reflux.

But if the pain is keeping them from eating, it's a darn good reason to medicate!

She will be 11 months this week :scared1: Time has gone by so quickly. She is an only child so it is very easy for me to keep her schedule. We do travel once a month to my parents, it is a 3 hour car ride, and she does great. But even there, we try to keep her on schedule. Not in a drill sgt. way, but in keeping with a routine sort of way.

I hear ya, a bit tough w/ 2 -- but we try to keep our days going similarly too.:goodvibes

If any of you girls do trip reports will you post the link here? I really want to take Jake, but am interested in hearing others experiences first.

Staley- id love to see your pictures!

Hey! The link is in my signature if you want to check it out! I just finished my Trip Report (so sad to think about the last day when it's time to leave :guilty: )
Hope everyone is having a great day!

Hey! The link is in my signature if you want to check it out! I just finished my Trip Report (so sad to think about the last day when it's time to leave :guilty: )
Hope everyone is having a great day!

That report is without kids (technically) right? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something! :goodvibes You stayed at the Boardwalk too right? I can't wait for my December trip there!! :banana:

Lily has another new tooth. Hopefully she'll sleep better now.

WARNING Major vent alert!!! I feel pretty good that it took me 11 months to have a vent but I just can't stand it anymore!!!!! My in-laws are over right now. First off, I do not like my FIL. I am not alone in this, my hubby does not like him at all and most people who know him don't like him. He is a very toxic person. So he is here right now, camped out in my living room. He comes in and changes the channel to FOX News which he knows I hate. Now he is sleeping and has been for about an hour. (I guess I should be happy I don't have to talk to him. trying to look on the bright side.)

I used to have a great relationship with my MIL but since Natalie has been born, things have really changed. Does anyone else have a MIL who really doesn't care what your wishes are? I feel like a ghost. She just keeps taking her outside whenever I come in the room to see whats going on. I hate that I feel this way.

My parents live 3 hours away and see Natalie every other weekend. My in-laws see her several times a week and make me feel guilty it's not more. My hubby and I are going out of town next weekend for 4 nights and my husband asked his mom to watch the baby. I asked my MIL if my parents could watch her 2 out of the 4 nights because it will be over 4 weeks before they could see her. She started to give me greif and said well they got to see her 2 weekends in a row. How selfish of her. I told her, I know and not to worry about it, I will make plans to take Natalie to visit during the week when my parents have to work. Sorry for this vent but I just want to scream!!!!!

I hate feeling like this, it is really horrible.:confused:

WARNING Major vent alert!!! I feel pretty good that it took me 11 months to have a vent but I just can't stand it anymore!!!!! My in-laws are over right now. First off, I do not like my FIL. I am not alone in this, my hubby does not like him at all and most people who know him don't like him. He is a very toxic person. So he is here right now, camped out in my living room. He comes in and changes the channel to FOX News which he knows I hate. Now he is sleeping and has been for about an hour. (I guess I should be happy I don't have to talk to him. trying to look on the bright side.)

I used to have a great relationship with my MIL but since Natalie has been born, things have really changed. Does anyone else have a MIL who really doesn't care what your wishes are? I feel like a ghost. She just keeps taking her outside whenever I come in the room to see whats going on. I hate that I feel this way.

My parents live 3 hours away and see Natalie every other weekend. My in-laws see her several times a week and make me feel guilty it's not more. My hubby and I are going out of town next weekend for 4 nights and my husband asked his mom to watch the baby. I asked my MIL if my parents could watch her 2 out of the 4 nights because it will be over 4 weeks before they could see her. She started to give me greif and said well they got to see her 2 weekends in a row. How selfish of her. I told her, I know and not to worry about it, I will make plans to take Natalie to visit during the week when my parents have to work. Sorry for this vent but I just want to scream!!!!!

I hate feeling like this, it is really horrible.:confused:

:hug::hug::hug: You have every right to vent!

Lily took a 3 hour nap this afternoon for my aunt!!! She actually feel asleep on me before my Aunt got there and my Aunt convinced me to move her to the couch so I could leave for work. It's never ever worked for me before.

I guess I really need to force the sleeping on her own issue. :scared:

That report is without kids (technically) right? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something! :goodvibes You stayed at the Boardwalk too right? I can't wait for my December trip there!! :banana:

Lily has another new tooth. Hopefully she'll sleep better now.

Katie still has no teeth!

I'll make sure to post details about my trip. 13 more sleeps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter