Newly imagined Test Track

Our trip was too early to get in on the testing, but someone posted a link to this video on the Theme Parks Board.
This shows the whole attraction - from entering the building to the area after the ride.

Thanks for posting the video Sue! I was trying to see where a wheelchair or ECV would go thru the line? If the rider can transfer ok to the vehicle, it does still look like a low-sitting ride. Any thoughts?

Thanks for posting the video Sue! I was trying to see where a wheelchair or ECV would go thru the line? If the rider can transfer ok to the vehicle, it does still look like a low-sitting ride. Any thoughts?
I can't be absolutely 100% sure until after we write it, but watching the video, seeing what is on the disability guide, and my knowledge from having been on it many times before, I am 99.9% sure of how it works.

The disability Guidemap that was just updated, shows the 'Mobility Entrance' as entering the Regular queue or obtaining a fast pass and using the fast pass lane.
The icon shows it as ECV and wheelchair accessible, but requiring a transfer to the ride car. It also lists that there is a 'practice car' (guests need to ask where it is).
All this is the same as before and I can see the boarding area and track have been re-themed, but the layout has not changed.

The line is accessible to the point of boarding.
At point 8:42 in the video, the people being filmed turn, but you can see stations 1 and 2 to the right of the picture. That would be where they would route guests using wheelchairs, ECVs or other mobility devices.
At about 8:50 in the video, you can see a gate near station one and a door ahead of the gate.
Because guests board on one side of the track and get off on the other, there needs to be a way to get mobility devices to the other side of the track. The way they arrange this is by using an elevator that is at the door you can see in the video. If the guest is able to board in the regular area, they would go to station 1 or 2 to board. Their mobility device would be taken up the elevator, across a bridge that goes over the track and then down on the other side in another elevator to wait for them to get off.

The video at about the 9:15 point shows the step in. As you mentioned, it is a pretty low step in and out. That's because the track in actually below floor level at that point so guest don't have to step over the relatively high side of the car.

There is another alternative for guests who can't make the step, need to be lifted in and out or need to transfer from their wheelchair.
At point 9:15 to 9:34 of the video, you can see signs and hear them mention the 'Seat belt check' , which is ahead, just before the first hill.
That seat belt check is at the point where the bridge goes over the track (the ride car path actually goes over the loading area track at that point, but guests can't see that). That is the location of the alternate boarding area, which allows a wheelchair to be brought right up to the ride car. At that point, the track is at the same level as the floor.
The video is very dark, but here is a picture of the way the area was before.
showfull.php

The picture isn't showing up - it's old and I think too big.
here's a link to the thumbnail shot
http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/member-galleries/p24258-test-track-alternate-boarding.html
2590TT_alternate_boarding_3.JPG

The picture shows my DH's arm in green on the left of the picture as we waited behind a rail on a small ramp. You can see the first hill right in front of the seat belt check area in the middle of the picture. That area has a CM stationed there at all times to do the seat belt checks and that CM also deals with the wheelchairs in the seatbelt check area, moving them out of the way after the guest has transferred.
When those guests are done riding, they will stay on past the regular exit ( at the boarding area) and come back to th seat belt check area to get off & back to their mobility device.
One of the issues before was that the seatbelt check area was rather small and could only hold one party without it being REALLY crowded. The elevators were small and could only old the person with the mobility device plus one other person. Can't tell if they changed those to bigger ones, but my guess is not.
There were stairs for the rest of the party to go up to the bridge and then back down. I see no reason why they would change that.
It appears that they might have additional waiting area in front of the gate near station one. That would help things out a lot since they could hold guests with mobility devices and move them up as there was space at the top.
The 'holding area' before was just after the Fastpass collection area, where they divided guests into different rooms for the preshow. We often waited to the side at that area for 10 or more minutes until they assigned us to a preshow room.

I'm going to stick this thread to the top for a while since Test Track is newly renovated

An additional note: The front-left and (I'm assuming) front-right seat have uneven foot rest areas. It's like sitting over the wheel well on a school bus. I had no problems sitting in the back-left seat with flat flooring, but riding in the front-left forced all the pressure from the dips and slow-downs onto my right foot...and there was a lot of pressure over the course of the ride. The back seats had the handlebar areas positioned such that I could transfer much of the pressure through my arms instead of legs (5'5"). I have only ridden on the new Test Track ride so I don't know if this is a new issue or not.

One of the issues before was that the seatbelt check area was rather small and could only hold one party without it being REALLY crowded. The elevators were small and could only old the person with the mobility device plus one other person. Can't tell if they changed those to bigger ones, but my guess is not.
There were stairs for the rest of the party to go up to the bridge and then back down. I see no reason why they would change that.
It appears that they might have additional waiting area in front of the gate near station one. That would help things out a lot since they could hold guests with mobility devices and move them up as there was space at the top.
The 'holding area' before was just after the Fastpass collection area, where they divided guests into different rooms for the preshow. We often waited to the side at that area for 10 or more minutes until they assigned us to a preshow room.

I read this thread before my trip Sept 20-29, 2013 and wanted to share some of my experience with the attraction. The elevator to the seatbelt check area is still small. The area before the seatbelt check is still the same.They do have a bigger space to wait near station one right before riders who can make the step down into the car line up. Or at least it seemed bigger.

One thing to keep in mind when loading in the seat-belt check area is the following: A main part of the new attraction leading up to the actual ride in the ride vehicle is designing a virtual vehicle to test against other vehicles of people in your car. You use a design card or magic band when you design the virtual car to save the data and then touch it to a reader in the load zone that uploads your designed virtual vehicle to the attraction vehicle and throughout the ride, you are able to see how your vehicle measures up against others in different categories. However, if you use the alternate/seat-belt entrance to the vehicle (which I do), there is no ability to upload the car you designed. At the time, I didn't think of asking the CM if this there was a way to make this happen. An idea would be to ask for a "design card" to load your virtual vehicle to as opposed to KTTWC or Magic Band and perhaps a kind CM could find a way to upload it to the car. It is worth asking!

Lastly, because it takes a longer for your attraction car to come when you are loaded in the seat-belt area, as of September 2013, the CM gave us the option every time to ride twice in a row. I was glad for this as even with a FP+ there is still quite a wait before and after you design your virtual vehicle.

I wanted to mention that there's a really quick stop at the end, I was unprepared for it and I guess being shortish like 5'4 the strap hit my neck and choked me a tiny bit. So when you get to the end of the ride, make sure you are holding the shoulder strap if it comes close to your neck.

I was there in Aug/Sept 2013 and the biggest problem I had was trying to get out of the line. One time the ride broke down while we were in the fast pass/alternate line and there was no way to get out with a stroller or wheelchair, it was awful how crowded the area is, also once you get past the car design room it is even harder to get out of the line. We did this ride a couple times over two weeks and each time it was a pain. If there were ever an emergency, it would be a serious disaster.

This is just to feed off what tigger51276 said, it really is a little insane how poorly designed the exits are. Once you are in there, you can try, try, try, but you are not getting off early to save your life. I could see that being a disaster if things go wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter