• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NEWS 5/17: Late 2019 itineraries released - link in post #1 (2020 watch thread will start soon)

You can put a hold on more than one cruise. You have 3 days to decide and pay the deposit. Your TA should be putting holds on whatever cruises you may be interested in you. If she can't do that find a new TA.
That’s great! And this will keep the price the same as the day of the hold, correct?

A bit disappointed that the Northern European itineraries are all in late summer when we can't travel. I say "a bit" disappointed because this way at least I won't have to worry about paying for a European cruise for another year at least.

and we're a bit disappointed that all the med cruises are in june - schools where we are only end on june 30..
and with 2 in our group school teachers, they can't just skip out before the end of the month...

so no med cruise for us (but we found something...at least to get us on the magic...not our first choice, but better than nothing)..

Hey experienced DCL cruisers. I have a quick question for those of you who have booked B2B before. It looks like for European cruisers it would actually be cheaper to book a B2B cruise for 14 days total then book either of the 10 or 11 day cruises. Im trying to optimze my time and we are looking at the sailings in September. Does this sound about right?

Hoping the pricing for the British Isles cruise is close to this year’s rates. The dates for next year work really well and I think it will be a good first international trip for my husband and I.

What poor reviews have you heard about Icy Straight Point?

I read 3 that said they wouldn’t do it again - that they found it boring, manufactured and not what they were expecting. Personally I have found lots of ideas of what I would like to do there and since we’ve been to Juneau before I am still fancying a change. For me just being in Alaska and gorgeous surroundings would be enough!!

So, after thinking that my now 7 year old wouldn't care for a cruise to Alaska until he's a little older (and more excited about trying other cruise lines), he announced on Friday that he isn't at all excited to go to the Grand Canyon next summer as we had been planning and he would rather go to Alaska on the Mickey boat. Honestly, I would rather we go that route, too, and his timing couldn't have been better. Alaska it is! It will be #5 on DCL and our second on the Wonder (our first cruise was on the Wonder shortly before her dry dock, so almost like a new ship to us)!

Can you let her know Monday evening after you see if there are any quotes up for either date?

I just prioritized my list (I have 9 I'm interested in). I emailed my TA again and said I'm on a forum where people report in pricing they're getting, so I'll likely know for at least some if they're out of reach and if it's ok, I'll get her a "Top 3 or 4" by 5pm Tuesday (I'm Silver) of the ones I sent her. Then I have given her the go-ahead that if any of them (in priority order) are such that the amount I've already put towards my scheduled one in Feb would cover the deposit, she can move that money to a new booking and let the Feb one go (at least for now). I'm hoping that will make it easier on her!
Yep I was planning to :)

You can put a hold on more than one cruise. You have 3 days to decide and pay the deposit. Your TA should be putting holds on whatever cruises you may be interested in you. If she can't do that find a new TA.
Hmm maybe she will do more than one..
I’ll email her
It’s a DU agent

So, after thinking that my now 7 year old wouldn't care for a cruise to Alaska until he's a little older (and more excited about trying other cruise lines), he announced on Friday that he isn't at all excited to go to the Grand Canyon next summer as we had been planning and he would rather go to Alaska on the Mickey boat. Honestly, I would rather we go that route, too, and his timing couldn't have been better. Alaska it is! It will be #5 on DCL and our second on the Wonder (our first cruise was on the Wonder shortly before her dry dock, so almost like a new ship to us)!
Having done both, I can tell you that Alaska would be way more fun for a kid vs Grand Canyon. There’s panning for gold, lumberjack shows, dog sledding, walking on glaciers, all the wildlife spotting, etc. so fun!

Having done both, I can tell you that Alaska would be way more fun for a kid vs Grand Canyon. There’s panning for gold, lumberjack shows, dog sledding, walking on glaciers, all the wildlife spotting, etc. so fun!

That was his argument as well - Grand Canyon just has "looking" while Alaska has "doing." Granted, I was planning a bunch of "doing" for Grand Canyon, but we'll get there. The glaciers are melting; the Grand Canyon isn't.

I read 3 that said they wouldn’t do it again - that they found it boring, manufactured and not what they were expecting. Personally I have found lots of ideas of what I would like to do there and since we’ve been to Juneau before I am still fancying a change. For me just being in Alaska and gorgeous surroundings would be enough!!

icy strait point has good whale watching...we saw lots and lots of whales there...

Is anyone gold/platinum and trying for one of the double dips? Hoping I can stalk you on the pricing thread ;)

This is definitely a go for us! Come on Monday!
This has been on my must do list since they began this itinerary and 2018 was going to be our year!... We cannot get ourselves to get over the price. Looks like we are going to Europe for two weeks, plus doing the repositioning cruise from Barcelona (which we love) to Dover for thousands less than the southern cruise, even using last year's pricing which will probably be higher still. We are hoping that the new ship added in 2021 will do longer southern Caribbean cruises and we can take one then.

That was his argument as well - Grand Canyon just has "looking" while Alaska has "doing." Granted, I was planning a bunch of "doing" for Grand Canyon, but we'll get there. The glaciers are melting; the Grand Canyon isn't.
I would agree with that. Especially at his age it’s mostly looking. There are things like donkey rides down the canyon but I would bet he’s too young for stuff like that. I could be wrong.

Why not do it yourself. I've put holds on several cruises. The encourage it.

If they are talking opening day for a CC level when it's all by phone, if they have a TA why not use her/him? Let them be the ones on hold for hours! :D I know my agent (yes, I'm a believer now) has said her agency (not DU) usually makes "pods" of 3 or 4 agents who will have the info for each other's clients and if one gets through, the others will remain on hold in case they get through also, but the one who is talking to a person will go through her/his clients and then move onto the next agent in the "pod" and her/his clients' list if that agent is not talking to a person, etc.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter