• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News and Developments for Future In-Person runDisney Events

Saw a post on another site that social distancing markers had been taken out of the pre-show and shuttle for RoTR but the plexiglass was still up on the ride vehicles. Disney seems to have a bit of a lack of cohesiveness with some of this stuff, but things definitely seem to be changing pretty quickly.

For those keeping tabs on what other bigger races are doing, the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, DC, is a GO for in-person on Oct. 31. Reduced field and staggered start times, but it’s happening nonetheless. Keep in mind most museums and public attractions in DC (Smithsonian, etc) have been closed and are just now opening up.

In fact, as I canvas all of the large marathons in the US (finishers > 10k) it now looks like the WDW Marathon is the sole holdout. Chicago, NYC, Marine Corps (DC), Los Angleles, Honolulu, San Diego all announced in person happening in 2021; Boston’s likewise a go for April 2022.

In fact, as I canvas all of the large marathons in the US (finishers > 10k) it now looks like the WDW Marathon is the sole holdout. Chicago, NYC, Marine Corps (DC), Los Angleles, Honolulu, San Diego all announced in person happening in 2021; Boston’s likewise a go for April 2022.
I am running Chicago and am a little nervous that literally EVERYONE I know who put in for the lottery got in. I wonder if they accepted too many people

Boston's also a go for an in-person race on Oct. 11, 2021 (the postponed 2021 edition), albeit with a reduced field size as well.

Yeah, I’m really not sure what Disney is waiting for at this point. We’re approaching 7 months until when Marathon Weekend would normally be, and signup would have to be soon. And I don’t know how people can possibly still think Wine and Dine is a possibility. Please just let us know. I’m more and more beginning to think any announcement they make won’t be a “this race is virtual” one but a “RunDisney is returning (insert when)” one with whatever race it is. I still just have this feeling that since they never officially announced dates, they have no obligation and it’s just people assuming based on what they used to do. When they decide to come back, they’ll probably just say they’re doing such and such an event at such and such a time.

Is there a day of the week that runDisney has historically been more likely to make announcements?

As a data point that may or may not be of any consideration or interest, nearly all (absolutely all I've heard from, but I recognize that may not actually be all) other Florida races have said they intend to race in person as of Fall.

As a data point that may or may not be of any consideration or interest, nearly all (absolutely all I've heard from, but I recognize that may not actually be all) other Florida races have said they intend to race in person as of Fall.
Good point. WDW has been open since July 2020. Many of those other cities with announced in-person races are just now fully opening up.

as far as official announcements go, anyone else notice that the runDisney FB page has been rather active over the last 2-3 weeks? I think something is going to be announced soonish

I sure hope so. I literally look at this thread several times a day in hopes of seeing a bunch of new comments and everyone talking about an in person runDisney race has been announced. Normally I am a very patient person, but it is thread bare at this point.

Hope all have a nice weekend though!

For a while, it was Tuesdays. But a couple years ago it went to all over the place. I will say WDW has a penchant during this pandemic of releasing things late on Fridays, though...

Bad news is generally dumped end of the workday Friday so there is the best chance of it being forgotten or something else overshadowing it by Monday.

So, I guess we probably don’t want any news today.

I’m still hedging bets that on June 2nd (global running day) they will give an update on things.....
My call is
W&D either virtual or canceled (for year not for good)
Marathon & Princess virtual or modified (think limited field, photo opps instead of character stops, provide your own transportation, closed loop course....)
New spring theme announcement

I’m still hedging bets that on June 2nd (global running day) they will give an update on things.....
Yeah I agree with this. No idea about the details but this is what I'm expecting (hoping for)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter