News Round Up 2017

I have to say that in spite of owning half a dozen chargers - this is tempting. I like the idea of a smaller charger that I don't have to recharge as opposed to my bulky chargers that I'm always recharging back at the hotel.

And the fact that you can return them for a fully charged one. Honestly I didn't see a kiosk for them during my trip but I wasn't really looking for them either.

We got them and like it. The kiosks are in stores so you don't really notice them. We switched out batteries a few times during our trip. We did, however, run into one or two that didn't seem to have much of a charge. It was handy to charge your phone when it was getting low, and then on your way out to another park or at the end of the day switch the battery for a full one. These kiosks are also in a good number of airports. This was handy for the flight home.

IF YOU GET ONE - Look for the kiosks at the airport - it's only $20 vs the $30 they charge you in the parks. I believe you can also buy them from their website.

I get what you're saying, and I know it's all in good fun, but I think if the creator of the original content confirms it, then it is canon. No different if J.K. Rowling confirmed some fan theory regarding Harry Potter.

Did anyone actually read the article?

"but Chris was quick to insist that these are just his theories and nothing is official, and everyone should continue coming up with their own. "Whatever people want to believe, go for it," he said. "That's the spirit of Disney.""

Also, comparing Chris Buck, a director of a film, to J. K. Rowling is a stretch. Does this mean that the director of a Harry Potter film can tell us what is or isn't cannon in the HP universe? Of course not.

Last edited:
Wish I had the time and money to attend this D23 event!

Lunch with a Disney Legend: Dave Smith:

OVERVIEW
Sit down for an intimate lunch with Disney Legend Dave Smith at Ariel’s at Disney’s Beach Club Resort!

DETAILS
The experience begins at 11:30 a.m. and will last approximately two hours. Check-in will begin at 11 a.m. at Ariel’s, which is located at Disney’s Beach Club Resort, off the Main Lobby. Upon entering the Main Lobby, follow hallway past Cape May Restaurant and Martha’s Vineyard Lounge to reach Ariel’s. Please do not arrive before 11 a.m.

In 1970, Dave Smith founded the Walt Disney Archives—the department which collects, preserves, and makes available for research the history of The Walt Disney Company—and served as its chief archivist for more than 40 years. Also a noted author, Dave is considered the ultimate authority on all things Disney and has been celebrated by Disney fans all over the world for his contributions to preserving the Disney legacy.

On Friday, February 10, a limited number of D23 Gold Members will be treated to an intimate, three-course luncheon with Dave at Ariel’s, a private dining space inside Disney’s Beach Club Resort at Walt Disney World Resort. During this exclusive event, guests will spend time with Dave and discover what it was like to develop the first archives for a motion picture and entertainment company.

Plus, a very limited number of tickets will be available for guests to dine with Dave at the Disney Legend Table.

I hope they put some of the available funds into improving security flow. One of the worst in my opinion.

The current facilities at MCO were designed to handle 24 million passengers annual. In last year, MCO announced that they had handled 41.6 million passengers in a 12 month period ending in April.

Given those numbers and the fact that the security checkpoints were designed prior to 9/11, it's not hard to understand why getting through TSA is generally a nightmare.

Sources:
Original capacity of 24 million: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/a...roves-1-billion-expansion-program-f8C11416335
Current usage figures: http://www.airportimprovement.com/n...onal-surpasses-416-million-passengers-october

The current facilities at MCO were designed to handle 24 million passengers annual. In last year, MCO announced that they had handled 41.6 million passengers in a 12 month period ending in April.

Given those numbers and the fact that the security checkpoints were designed prior to 9/11, it's not hard to understand why getting through TSA is generally a nightmare.

Sources:
Original capacity of 24 million: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/a...roves-1-billion-expansion-program-f8C11416335
Current usage figures: http://www.airportimprovement.com/n...onal-surpasses-416-million-passengers-october

I don't disagree but I have witnessed some pretty disorganized directing on the part of TSA.

Just heard this on the bus back from Epcot.

"Epcot has two rides, fast track and soarin. The rest aren't even rides you sit down in front of a tv screen and they blow air at your face..."
I guess the couldn't get on frozen. Haha

It was disappointing for me to see everything completely built but not be able to see the show. At one point everything pointed to ROL being open for our December trip, and then it some point it became apparent that it almost surely would not be running. Even though I knew that, I did have a little hope that maybe there would be a soft open or preview or something. ROL's absence is so conspicuous, it's hard not to get a little bummed, even you go into it with a good attitude - that's all I'm saying.

With this show in particular, which seems to be so technologically fickle and prone to issues of all sorts, I've found it best to put it out of my mind until they do whatever they need to do to get it running. It didn't ruin my trip, but it did kind of bum me out.
Signs were up on the theatre when we were there in mid-December. Much more than what was there in sept when we thought it would premiere. It's getting MUCH closer I think.

I hope they put some of the available funds into improving security flow. One of the worst in my opinion.

Our experiences there were one of the major factors in getting TSA Precheck. It has helped immensely there, and at other airports. The thing that annoys me the most about TSA at MCO is that they are generally rude and won't answer legitimate questions or mumble answers when they do answer. We even overheard a TSA dog handler complain when she got yelled at by an MCO TSA official for being late. They wouldn't let her through with her TSA ID and a sniffer dog. The official said that her TSA employee ID wasn't enough:confused3 We were all penned up in a roped off area waiting for them to let the handler and dog through so it could sniff uspug:

Did anyone actually read the article?

"but Chris was quick to insist that these are just his theories and nothing is official, and everyone should continue coming up with their own. "Whatever people want to believe, go for it," he said. "That's the spirit of Disney.""

Also, comparing Chris Buck, a director of a film, to J. K. Rowling is a stretch. Does this mean that the director of a Harry Potter film can tell us what is or isn't cannon in the HP universe? Of course not.

I did miss that line in the article. Hysteria got the best of me.

I don't think it's a stretch at all. I'm not comparing them at a level of talent, I'm comparing them at a level of authority. Forgetting about inspiration on both sides, both Chris Buck and J.K. Rowling created the stories they told. Sure Chris Buck had Jennifer Lee and Shane Morris, but that doesn't make his opinion weigh any more or less.

The difference that you present is that, with the Harry Potter films, you have an individual directing a story that he did not create. Of course one of those directors wouldn't have an official say in what happens in the Harry Potter universe, unless J.K. Rowling agrees. Canon, to me, all comes back to the original content creator.

I have to say that in spite of owning half a dozen chargers - this is tempting. I like the idea of a smaller charger that I don't have to recharge as opposed to my bulky chargers that I'm always recharging back at the hotel.

I know no one asked for recommendations, but I love my portable charger so much, I wanted to share. Prior to our November trip, I bought this charger for about $20:

Anker PowerCore Slim 5000 Portable Charger, Ultra Slim 5000mAh External Battery with Fast-Charging PowerIQ, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EKXR67M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Mg4DybBEAFJTM

I LOVE it! It is about the same size as my iPhone 6s, and about as thick, so it is easy to hold. I could get about *three* charges for my phone (starting around 30% or less) from one charge of the Anker! And it charges super fast! So, don't spend $20-30 on a portable fuel rod that is you have to replace and may be awkward to carry when (at least for iPhone) there's such a great alternative.

/commercial over

Potentially another film where the male character is weak and inept and the female has to step in and save the day. :sad2: I'm all for empowering women, but not at the expense of masculinity... As a mom of four boys/young men, this trend is driving me crazy.
You do realize that men can be weak, right? Not every man is a hyper masculine tough guy.

You do realize that men can be weak, right? Not every man is a hyper masculine tough guy.

I think the last few years have verified that. Glad there is hope and a change in direction coming now.

Last edited:

OF COURSE I realize that! I am not talking about physical "toughness" anyway. Did you read the film description?

Currently going by the running title Nicole, the story revolves Santa’s daughter who is forced to take over the family business when her father decides to retire and brother ends up getting cold feet prior to his first big Christmas Eve flight.

Potentially in this film, the brother is too scared to fulfill his "responsibility" and so the sister has to step in and do the job that he is too overwhelmed to do. Male is weak and inept (and therefore fails), female rises to the challenge and succeeds.

If this were one instance, no problem. But more and more men are made to look like complete idiots in commercials (especially) and shows/film. Have you seen the recent Samsung Galaxy S7 Gear Fit commercials? It is complete body-shaming for men. If those same commercials had women in them, there would be a HUGE public outcry. But because it's men, it's no big deal. Yep - this is a big soap box issue for me...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter