News Round Up 2017

Having looked at the numbers it really is insane.
You could have 3 sit down meals and buy everyone the charge and go sticks and still come out ahead.

Having looked at the numbers it really is insane.
You could have 3 sit down meals and buy everyone the charge and go sticks and still come out ahead.

It's not debatable...I feel guilty even participating in anything resembling a discussion on this for fear it gives it credence...

What's credence? Downsizing useable area in the Star Wars development to build these.

Ignoring that they dismantled the imagination pavilion as a functional area 15 years ago and closed wonders of life without a whiff of explanation or replacement...but would not hesitate to build these...lends "credence".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/invest...ney-co-dis-stock-down-espn/amp/?client=safari

I like to point once every couple months what the "problem" with disney is...and why park fans will see increasing prices and a relentless
Slate of upsells moving forward...busine$$ as usual.

As I mentioned in another thread, I bought a few shares for long term. I agree that the ESPN mess will continue to be a drag. I think it's impact is too large for the suits to ignore. The concept of selling it off is interesting but at what price? Eventually they're going to have to look at it as a bad free agent deal as in baseball and cut their losses.

As I mentioned in another thread, I bought a few shares for long term. I agree that the ESPN mess will continue to be a drag. I think it's impact is too large for the suits to ignore. The concept of selling it off is interesting but at what price? Eventually they're going to have to look at it as a bad free agent deal as in baseball and cut their losses.

It's not coming back...main reason being the programming sucks. Sports are moving towards a more "local" market...which means direct fees to teams/leagues/sports.

The NFL - the one true broad appeal cash cow - was down 7% this year. The market is changing dramatically.

Espn was 40% of all of Disney's profits just two years ago...and that model is busted and is swirling the bowl fast.

There is no way for them to account for that kinda loss. A 0.5% drop in subscribers in 2 months is insane.

Nothing is saving that ship.

Which is why I expect iger to bail soon and disney to bleed money for quite no awhile.

It would be like a dairy farm that can't sell milk anymore...somethings are too large to sidestep.

Last edited:
We are all chuckling about iger...but it's really not a laughing matter.

Executives tied to bloated daily stock prices is an awful reality...they'll do stupid things for short term gains and don't honestly care about the fallout.

It is happening with Tim Cook at Apple to...when your pay (translation:ego) is tied directly to retail sales...you get stupid and cut corners. The market is fickle and so are the consumers.

Executives tied to bloated daily stock prices is an awful reality...they'll do stupid things for short term gains and don't honestly care about the fallout.

It is happening with Tim Cook at Apple to...when your pay (translation:ego) is tied directly to retail sales...you get stupid and cut corners. The market is fickle and so are the consumers.
The Sentinel writer for theme parks pointed out that TWDC spent $800,000 on security for Iger.

It's not coming back...main reason being the programming sucks. Sports are moving towards a more "local" market...which means direct fees to teams/leagues/sports.

The NFL - the one true broad appeal cash cow - was down 7% this year. The market is changing dramatically.

Espn was 40% of all of Disney's profits just two years ago...and that model is busted and is swirling the bowl fast.

There is no way for them to account for that kinda loss. A 0.5% drop in subscribers in 2 months is insane.

Nothing is saving that ship.

Which is why I expect iger to bail soon and disney to bleed money for quite no awhile.

It would be like a dairy farm that can't sell milk anymore...somethings are too large to sidestep.

I get all of that but in the corporate world from an accounting perspective there is a way " to make things go away". It will cost them but by no means will it drag the company down in the long term. I think the only reason they are hanging on is that they are trying to figure out the best way to salvage something from the scrap heap. My memory could be hazy but didn't Disney go through a similar cluster with the purchase of ABC?

All you need to do is resign and fade of with your multi million severance. Look at what happened with the CEO of Wells Fargo after their scam was exposed. It takes a different animal to be a CEO of a large corporation in these days. However the comment that they are focused on short term stock gain is spot on. Align that with the potential for multi millions in compensation and you can see where it comes from.

Sadly it's the way of the corporate world. As has been said before Walt no longer owns WDW

I get all of that but in the corporate world from an accounting perspective there is a way " to make things go away". It will cost them but by no means will it drag the company down in the long term. I think the only reason they are hanging on is that they are trying to figure out the best way to salvage something from the scrap heap. My memory could be hazy but didn't Disney go through a similar cluster with the purchase of ABC?

I'm not saying disney is "going down"...I'm saying that their easy money source is...and that will "suckify" the whole operation.

We think things are out of control In parks now? Batten the hatches cause there be storms ahead.

And abc was bought for far too much because Eisner wanted the victory...he had incredible Hollywood and wall
Sreeet cred at the time.

But what made that all "ok" was espn was on a ridiculous rise and very quickly they became nothing but Bank...literally the whole deal is coming full circle. Espn has been slashing everything for going on 5 years and they can't right the ship. Not only that...but without the guaranteed subscriber fees and ads...they won't be able to justify the royalties they pay to the sports...which have gone up huge. ABC/espn won't be prepared to use an NFL or NBA contract as a "loss leader" like NBC seems to...it's not a good situation at all.

News

Star Wars releases statement regarding Princess Leia/Carrie Fisher rumors

http://www.starwars.com/news/a-statement-regarding-new-rumors/app
It's an interesting move...surprising.

I believe it to be non-committal as well. I think they are really stuck. You'd think - after all this time and money - that "just make an easy excuse" wouldn't be an option for the character.

At the end of the day...the foundations of the franchise had a crack because lucas told some bad stories. Disney will lose money longterm if they accept that in ANY form.

I'm not saying disney is "going down"...I'm saying that their easy money source is...and that will "suckify" the whole operation.

We think things are out of control In parks now? Batten the hatches cause there be storms ahead.

And abc was bought for far too much because Eisner wanted the victory...he had incredible Hollywood and wall
Sreeet cred at the time.

But what made that all "ok" was espn was on a ridiculous rise and very quickly they became nothing but Bank...literally the whole deal is coming full circle. Espn has been slashing everything for going on 5 years and they can't right the ship. Not only that...but without the guaranteed subscriber fees and ads...they won't be able to justify the royalties they pay to the sports...which have gone up huge. ABC/espn won't be prepared to use an NFL or NBA contract as a "loss leader" like NBC seems to...it's not a good situation at all.

Agreed. ESPN is going to be less of a player. The trick for Disney will be to unload it while it still has some value.

All you need to do is resign and fade of with your multi million severance. Look at what happened with the CEO of Wells Fargo after their scam was exposed. It takes a different animal to be a CEO of a large corporation in these days. However the comment that they are focused on short term stock gain is spot on. Align that with the potential for multi millions in compensation and you can see where it comes from.

Sadly it's the way of the corporate world. As has been said before Walt no longer owns WDW

His base is $2.5 on a total haul of $45?

That's scary...it's all bloated stock, car salesman "incentives", and structured to cheat taxes through loopholes.

Those 3 things translate to:
1. Bad
2. Bad
3. Bad

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter