News Round Up 2017

But shouldn't we have big projects every year now that the parks are in their "mature" phase? Shouldn't sections be changed every 20-25 years (min)? With about 20-40 sections across all the parks (no idea how you count EPCOT - each pavilion or groups of countries/pavilions or just 2 parts - FW and IG?), shouldn't we be seeing a major project in a park every year? Not just a refurb in a park, but an actual overhaul and new section...Has Disney made us thankful for the bare minimum they are doing when we should be asking for that as the minimum?

I don't know that I would say we should see an entirely new land every year. I would agree that they should be doing what Universal is doing, which is every year there should be at least one new Ride/Attraction. (Though a lot of the times, Universal is doing the "replace an old ride with a new one".) But an entirely new land every year forever seems overly optimistic with 2 new attractions + dining and shopping seems overly optimistic.

I honestly think expecting additional new experiences in 2020 and 2021 are pretty likely. With the 50th coming in 2021, they are going to want to be able to highlight some additional growth as well. Just anything out as far as 2020, well it's a bit early to be showing their hand. Maybe at D23 this summer.

Today in Disney History

Disney California Adventure opens 16 years ago!

Yes - and when we see problems like Rivers of Light being delayed 9 months, we should look back to THIS event and thank goodness WDW never had a disaster of THIS epic a proportion, cause even after an additional billion dollars pumped into it - it's still a pretty lousy park. (With a half dozen GREAT things.)

So a 6-7 on a scale of 10?

Compare it to fantasmic...I mean when you first saw it 20 years ago...

??

7 sounds about right. I'll have to see it live, though. Many effects, lights and projections don't look as good when you are watching through a screen. Fantasmic is one of my favorite shows (especially at DL), and it does feature more 'wow' moments than Rivers. Perhaps it's the fact that RoL lacks a story. It's more like a selection of sequences from Disney Nature with some inspiring music and a few floats going around.

Don't get me wrong. I actually liked the show and I look forward to seeing it live. It just wasn't Fantasmic, WoC or Illuminations in my books.

7 sounds about right. I'll have to see it live, though. Many effects, lights and projections don't look as good when you are watching through a screen. Fantasmic is one of my favorite shows (especially at DL), and it does feature more 'wow' moments than Rivers. Perhaps it's the fact that RoL lacks a story. It's more like a selection of sequences from Disney Nature with some inspiring music and a few floats going around.

Don't get me wrong. I actually liked the show and I look forward to seeing it live. It just wasn't Fantasmic, WoC or Illuminations in my books.
And it's not supposed to be Fantasmic, WoC or illuminations. It's supposed to be Rivers of Light, Animal Kingdoms nighttime show.

We have a bad earnings report which has led to two opening dates being announced for the parks.
With the confirmation on when pandora opens, confirmation on SWE opening...I am REALLY curious what NEW news if any will come in D23 this year.

With the confirmation on when pandora opens, confirmation on SWE opening...I am REALLY curious what NEW news if any will come in D23 this year.

I think this could be an off-year for D23 announcements...at least regarding the parks. I expect it to be basically a "more details" year. Probably a detailed model of Toy Story Land, and maybe more details on the different experiences within Star Wars Land. I also expect announcements on Marvel land at DCA. (Perhaps I am biased because I am considering going to 2019 D23, but I am hoping more NEW stuff to come out then once SWE is on the verge of opening/has opened.)

I think part of the problem with the "WOW" moment, is that most "WOW" moments involve fireworks. At least for me they do at both Illuminations and even Fantasmic. (The Dragon is pretty wow also - but the ending is my favorite part.) Only WOC doesn't have that - but instead has a level of scale that's incredible.

ROL has to do WOW without any firework effects and without the massive scale of WOC...and maybe they just can't.

Most reports say this show fits perfectly for the park. It is exactly what the park needed and was looking for. Most people that disagree would have wanted something that would not have fit the park.

And I agree with that sentiment. It fits really well the spirit of the park. I'm just missing a certain something. As I said before, maybe I just expected a simple story to tie all the sections together, or maybe I just wanted something else to happen during certain sections.

It's just a matter of preference. I can totally see why some people might be very pleased with the final result.

I think part of the problem with the "WOW" moment, is that most "WOW" moments involve fireworks. At least for me they do at both Illuminations and even Fantasmic. (The Dragon is pretty wow also - but the ending is my favorite part.) Only WOC doesn't have that - but instead has a level of scale that's incredible.

ROL has to do WOW without any firework effects and without the massive scale of WOC...and maybe they just can't.
Not to disagree....but do we really want fireworks at AK?? I mean with its theme of animal protection and protection of environment....do we really want fireworks and ash all over the park? I for one am looking forward to seeing this live, and think the music and design works great for where this is shown.

Not to disagree....but do we really want fireworks at AK?? I mean with its theme of animal protection and protection of environment....do we really want fireworks and ash all over the park? I for one am looking forward to seeing this live, and think the music and design works great for where this is shown.

Yeah I think that would be pretty detrimental to the animals and purpose of the park. I also don't want to watch a video because honestly it's not the same as experiencing it in person. I've seen a few live streams of various Disney Parks things, like Hallowishes but it felt very different in the setting. The one intangible about these shows is the setting and it's easy to discount it.

That's why we don't have fireworks at AK. Fallout is the biggest problem not even the noise for the animals.

wait, what? The bad quarterly reports are due to ESPN and related media - revenue at the parks was up ... how would putting more money into expenditures make the parks more profitable?
Oh sorry about that. I thought it was Disney in general. My bad.

Another video of RoL

Ok finally watched the full thing and I have to say I really liked it though agree it feels like the should have done more with the large animal floats and they feel static too (compared to the floats at the end of Fantasmic or the animal floats in Festival of the Lion King). They tweak that a bit and maybe bring back We are One as a reprise and I think it is a winner

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter