News Round Up 2017

I'm sure it's a hike but I feel like that's their reasoning as to why they don't add something else there.

It's not a deal breaker for me if it doesn't happen, but I'd like to see a better quick service option on that side of the lake. However, I guess with the pizza stand and the Bakery they probably feel like they have their bases covered. I'd settle for another refill station or two instead.

As a short term strategy, Universal's consistency in opening new attractions is brilliant. They are keeping their momentum going and people are going back to see what's new for the year. In the long term, however, I don't think they are doing what it's needed. The last universally acclaimed attraction they opened was Forbidden Journey, seven years ago. Even Gringotts, which is surrounded by one of the most inmersive lands ever created, is described as underwhelming by many (trust me, I dreamed of a Gringotts coaster for years).

With Kong, Fallon and possibly Fast and Furious all being arguable filler attractions, I don't think Universal has anything to compete with until Nintendo land becomes a reality. Many argue that Universal's recent success is still tied to Potter, which is somewhat concerning, in my opinion.

I agree for the most part. I really enjoy gringotts especially because it's a thrill ride my sister can handle. I would say that a lot of these rides that they are churning out so fast are the same shakey go through ride with screen interaction (a la Spider-Man for example) so I haven't been so eager to try all the new rides. It's still definitely linked to Potter which is at least a liiiittle different from the transformers type rides. AS someone else said about disney big new rides it's definitely quality over quantity. It could be argued though that Disney needs some of those filler rides to get crowds more dispersed but I'd say they just need to make more rides faster they don't need to be the same ride over and over

Last edited:
Have you been on the Gringott's ride? It is only underwhelming if you think it should top Forbidden Journey. Kong I thought was also very impressive. The main failing at Universal is the reliance on screen technology or "point you at a screen and shake you around". The rides are each top notch on their own, but when we rode them all in a row, they got tiresome.

The attendance figures really bear out what's going on. Universal has managed to grow its fan base, while Disney is only rising very slowly. Unlikely Pandora moves the needle very much, but you can bet Star Wars will.

if Star Wars does for WDW as Harry Potter did for Universal, it's going to be a whole new world...

It is a nice option. I love it, but the Boardwalk could use a sit down quick service inside or at least more refill stations.
I agree...having to go outside and around the corner to fill up a refill, or grab a quick bite to eat is not as convenient as an inside spot - even if it's limited, like Beach Club's Marketplace...it still would be an improvement, in my opinion.

I agree...having to go outside and around the corner to fill up a refill, or grab a quick bite to eat is not as convenient as an inside spot - even if it's limited, like Beach Club's Marketplace...it still would be an improvement, in my opinion.

If the coke freestyle machines are a success at CBR during the refurb, I could see them adding more of these at other resorts for refills.

I think Universal's marketing campaign right now is brilliant. The whole "when your vacation grows up" is striking a nerve with a lot of my friends with tweens and teens who have done Disney 2 or more times. If they keep building attractions at this pace, not speed but consistency, Disney will need to keep going as well. And that is only good for us.

My kids still haven't "grown up" a but my oldest (just turned 8) is starting to get into Harry Potter (she's been tearing through the books) so I suspect within a few years we will add a Universal portion onto our trip

Seems very quiet on the Pandora front, this close to opening. The advance previews to staff and AP holders begins soon, doesn't it? Has rivers of light been running consistently without issue?

Seems very quiet on the Pandora front, this close to opening. The advance previews to staff and AP holders begins soon, doesn't it? Has rivers of light been running consistently without issue?
Obviously you haven't seen the Pandora thread ;) Sorry I have been updating that with Pandora info instead of here. CM previews are in full swing. RoL has been running fine. FoP in Pandora has not been running consistently yet but I wouldn't be worried as these are previews not full openings.

I just saw on TMZ that WDW will be hosting American Idol Auditions! It says it is easier to have them at WDW instead of traveling to other cities!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter