News Round Up 2017

When was the Festival of the Lion King show at Animal Kingdom changed? We were extremely disappointed in it this past visit; far fewer cast members, the tumble monkeys are all but gone, and the performers seemed to be cut way back. The show ran 30 minutes which seemed a lot shorter than before.

For 2:00 on a Sunday in June the waits are low across the board today. Wonder why, it isn't raining in Orlando right now. If I would have known it was going to be like this I would have made a day trip to Pandora today

I was in Orlando for a wedding the past few days and I was surprised to see the wait for FOP was only two hours Saturday morning at 10:30.

When was the Festival of the Lion King show at Animal Kingdom changed? We were extremely disappointed in it this past visit; far fewer cast members, the tumble monkeys are all but gone, and the performers seemed to be cut way back. The show ran 30 minutes which seemed a lot shorter than before.
Changed? I haven't heard anything. It didn't seem different when I was there in January and I saw it twice during that trip.

There was an incident a few weeks back with a tumble monkey. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

How many tumble monkeys were there? The show length has always been 30 minutes so I think you may just be mistaken or confusing it with something else? :confused3

It was identical to the past in February. (Aside from the fact that the cast we saw was amazing and may have brought a few tears to my eye lol)

For 2:00 on a Sunday in June the waits are low across the board today. Wonder why, it isn't raining in Orlando right now. If I would have known it was going to be like this I would have made a day trip to Pandora today
The weather in AK was brutal. Very hot and humid, which I know is the norm in summer, but it did thunder and photopass and characters were pretty much done for. I believe it started raining shortly after 2.

If the tumble monkeys are running with 3 or less, they don't do their act in Hakuna Matata. That can be due to several reasons...injury, sickness, etc. I have only seen that two times since I've gone to WDW (most recently the last week of May). We saw the show twice and the other time they had 4 monkeys and did their act.

The only other area where they might not have four people is the tall stilt actors (I don't know what you call them).

The show has always been a 30 minute show. :)

Other than that, the show hasn't really cut back on peformers. The show is excellent every time I see it. It is still by far the best theme park show that I have ever seen (my opinion).

Last edited:

We went twice in early May. Once on Monday morning and once on Friday morning. Both were at different times. On Monday we got the express show with no tumble monkeys. ON Friday we got the whole show. Wondered to ourselves if it wasn't time controlled. If something happens and they fall behind after two or three shows they throw the express out there to get back on time???????

We went twice in early May. Once on Monday morning and once on Friday morning. Both were at different times. On Monday we got the express show with no tumble monkeys. ON Friday we got the whole show. Wondered to ourselves if it wasn't time controlled. If something happens and they fall behind after two or three shows they throw the express out there to get back on time???????
I have never seen or heard of FOTLK starting late.

Last edited:
Disney seemed to patent new technology for an AA for Star Wars land. Anyone else hear about this? Is it true? Here's video link where I heard about it:

We went twice in early May. Once on Monday morning and once on Fday morning. Both were at different times. On Monday we got the express show with no tumble monkeys. ON Friday we got the whole show. Wondered to ourselves if it wasn't time controlled. If something happens and they fall behind after two or three shows they throw the express out there to get back on time???????
We see the show at least once and usually twice on each trip, our favorite show. This time, there were only 3 tumble monkeys so my first thought was one was out sick/hurt. That entire act was very abbreviated. But then we started noticing other changes such as the performance by the fire dancer; it was definitely different. Also, there was something different about the stage, can't quite put my finger on it, but it was different. For one thing, I believe the stage used to have two matts that were used by the monkeys and then removed. This time, it was one solid stage. There was a significant reduction in the performers who walk and perform around the stage too. My wife noticed that at the end of the show, when the performers get children from the audience and they walk around the stage, that only four performers got kids this time and rather than walking around the stage, the kids just walked around those four performers. The section with the aerialist who does the bird act also seemed different. When we left the theater, both my wife and I thought we had been "cheated" when we were discussing the show. But there were definitely differences this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter