• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sure they’ll plant trees but that’s about it.
They remind me of the ugly chairlift towers at my local ski hill. Necessary & practical but uh-glee. Surely WDW can do more than plant some trees. If some counties in Florida can try to camo communication towers as pines, imagineering can put in more of an effort. And if they can't disguise them, then embrace the bright & bold and paint or plaster those suckers with bright WDW momentos, park figures or historic cartoons. Anything that might lead guests to walk right up and study them. If WDW can't make them disappear, then make them pop in a good way. Anything is better than gray naked steel and concrete.

Edit: and anything that messes with that line of sight theming really does bother me to be honest.. Its been perfect as is for decades and I am not going to use this transportation system at all since I don't stay in the moderate or value resorts (call me selfish but its just as valid an opinion imo as someone looking forward to it because they typically happen to stay at pop or cbr anyway)...

They should be quite visible in France especially once ratatouille opens.

I think everyone will be quite surprised how mostly hidden they are. You certainly will be able to see them from the bridge between England and France - but I suspect even from France it will be invisible (they will use trees/hedges to disguise them. Don't forget, they don't really have to run them that high in the air. To @mikeamizzle I suggest you hold your anger about it until the job is actually completed. I still think the "crowds" entering at IG will mostly not be bad at all. (Except at rope drop and after Illuminations.)

I think everyone will be quite surprised how mostly hidden they are. You certainly will be able to see them from the bridge between England and France - but I suspect even from France it will be invisible (they will use trees/hedges to disguise them. Don't forget, they don't really have to run them that high in the air. To @mikeamizzle I suggest you hold your anger about it until the job is actually completed. I still think the "crowds" entering at IG will mostly not be bad at all. (Except at rope drop and after Illuminations.)
If I recall correctly when they announced these they talked about the views into Epcot you could see from them.

If I recall correctly when they announced these they talked about the views into Epcot you could see from them.

You’ll definitely be able to see it from the bridge but I can’t imagine it will be too obviously visible from the France pavilion. To be fair I haven’t studied the plans for the France pavilion expansion super in depth but as I understand it the entrance to the Ratatouille ride will be on the right side of the arcade/Impressions de France building. There are some trees on that side and they can easily move in more. Look at the forest that just appeared in Galaxy's Edge the other week. The only other place you would really be able to see it is from the extreme opposite side of World Showcase looking across the water or from the UK pavilion walking toward the bridge you'll have a pretty clear line of site. Otherwise I think it will be pretty well hidden.

I think it’s important to note that the perspective from the Skyliner will be different than that the perspective from the ground. The trees/hedges just have to be tall enough to keep people on the ground from seeing up but it doesn’t have to be so tall to keep people on the Skyliner from seeing in. As for the views they talked about you likely won't be able to see right into the courtyard in France but especially when its passing by the bridge area you'll be able see into the World Showcase. And lastly I live here and I'm by here weekly and I am always shocked and how low to the ground the supports are for the Skyliner. I don't think it will take that much effort to block it from view.

As a leather crafter, a few things I can say about the DB and the Coach leather Disney bags, before buying inspect both the thickness of the leather as well as the seaming around the bag where it is sewn together. The craftsmen ship has been going down over the last few years as they keep pumping out the mass market, Disney themed goods, Thin leather scratches stains and stretches easier, which mean it shows age and wear alot quicker and well if the seams are not tight, the bag will fall apart quicker. Im sure both companys have quality control but because of the demand, it has seem recently that these bags are starting to be made with less strict guidelines. Price doesnt go down, only goes up but quality goes down. In saying that as well I would recommend picking out your bag in person instead of ordering online just to check out the quality of the bag you personally will be buying instead of hoping the wearhouse picks out a good one.

I’m exclusively an LV gal, so I don’t buy any of these bags for myself ... but I’ve officially bought the last D&B bag as a gift for one of my besties for many of the reasons above.

I’ve bought ALL of them in person, and have made sure that the vinyl is in good shape, print is right placement, etc., but the “leather” they use for handles and straps is so pathetic ... you get no patina, just gross wear and the piping is not very supportive of the wear these bags take.

So what if you can see the skyliners from inside the park? I don't see it detracting from either France or the UK pavilion. If you've been to Europe you realize that you can see both very old and very new right next to each other every day.

You’ll definitely be able to see it from the bridge but I can’t imagine it will be too obviously visible from the France pavilion. To be fair I haven’t studied the plans for the France pavilion expansion super in depth but as I understand it the entrance to the Ratatouille ride will be on the right side of the arcade/Impressions de France building. There are some trees on that side and they can easily move in more. Look at the forest that just appeared in Galaxy's Edge the other week. The only other place you would really be able to see it is from the extreme opposite side of World Showcase looking across the water or from the UK pavilion walking toward the bridge you'll have a pretty clear line of site. Otherwise I think it will be pretty well hidden.

I think it’s important to note that the perspective from the Skyliner will be different than that the perspective from the ground. The trees/hedges just have to be tall enough to keep people on the ground from seeing up but it doesn’t have to be so tall to keep people on the Skyliner from seeing in. As for the views they talked about you likely won't be able to see right into the courtyard in France but especially when its passing by the bridge area you'll be able see into the World Showcase. And lastly I live here and I'm by here weekly and I am always shocked and how low to the ground the supports are for the Skyliner. I don't think it will take that much effort to block it from view.

I agree. Take a look at this photo. Note that the gondolas will hang below the cable guides on either side of the tower. I don't think you will be able to see this at all while standing inside France. You'd have to walk all the way over to the right edge by the wall and gazebo and even then, I'm not sure you could really see much of this tower because of the tree. With a few extra trees added and a coat of "go away green", it shouldn't be too visible.

Walt-Disney-World-Gondola-System_Full_32516.jpg

I appreciate your optimism @skier_pete , I feel completely justified in already being angry with what I am seeing being done here, and not being done here (i.e. any official word on the monorails, going to keep bringing this up because its reasonable at this point to be angry about that).

Honestly, I am very excited about just about every other addition that has been announced so far in lead up to the 50th anniversary, and I can gush for hours about Disneyland right now (really eating mental crow about my concerns with guardians mission breakout).

But as a Guest that visits frequently and often not cheaply , as I know you do as well, I'm 100% sure that I do not like this project.

But yeah on a larger note, I apologize for the negativity in the last couple of comments I have posted haha, just a couple things that have stuck in my craw lately, I'll get off that schneid.

So what if you can see the skyliners from inside the park? I don't see it detracting from either France or the UK pavilion. If you've been to Europe you realize that you can see both very old and very new right next to each other every day.

So what is that I do not like the way it breaks the line of sight themeing, I think they are ugly as sin, and I will never use them. So I do not like them and I am voicing that opinion, just as valid as anyone here praising this project as "the next great thing".

Sorry we cant all love everything the TWDC decides to do to the parks and resorts. Like re-consolidating them with merchandise (ie consumer products) in the corporate org structure.

and just as valid as yours , that "its no big deal, because it doesn't bother me".. You just don't hear people voice negative opinions on things here often because most people don't like to see negatives or nitpick their hobbies for obvious reasons.

And spare me the snark, I've been to Europe lol. Newsflash, World Showcase is not Europe.. It's World Showcase in Epcot and that was special enough to not mess with in my opinion.

@Grand Admiral that thing is a monstrosity. UGH.

Last edited:
Sort of Disney news related as Disney owns Marvel ... but tomorrow 5/5 is FREE COMIC BOOK DAY!

https://www.freecomicbookday.com/

It's great chance to check out any local participating comic shops and pick up a bunch of free comics! Many stores will be having events and sales during the day. I'm very lucky to have one of the best shops in the northeast right near me with scheduled character visits, family entertainment, artist/writer signings etc ... Infinity War should help the popularity of this years event nicely

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter