News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try watching Big Eyes. It's got some of his touches but he doesn't overdo it like he does on everything else he does. I love his older works like Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, and Nightmare (he didn't direct Nightmare, but it was based on his style, ideas, artwork, etc) but since then I feel like he's rested so hard on that style and the novelty of being weird. And now everything he does has so much CGI that it completely kills it for me. Big Eyes was the first movie I've seen of his in a long time that I really liked.

I love the classic Tim Burton films: Nightmare Before Christmas, Batman, Beetljuice, Edward Sissorhands, PeeWee's Big Adventure, etc. - but haven't been as big a fan of the latest films (Big Fish was pretty good, but even that is going back a few years), but this has promise I think (though am fearful he focuses too much on the over the top elements in the circus, etc.)
Ok...I have seen Nightmare Before Christmas, but I haven't seen it in YEARS and completely forgot it was based around his style. I am not a big fan of that film, BUT I LOVE the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay at Disneyland for the Haunted Mansion.

Ok...I have seen Nightmare Before Christmas, but I haven't seen it in YEARS and completely forgot it was based around his style. I am not a big fan of that film, BUT I LOVE the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay at Disneyland for the Haunted Mansion.

Not just his style - he came up with the story as well - it was a short story he wrote while an animator at Disney and eventually became the full film

I will probably see Dumbo at some point, but I am, in general, not a fan of these live action remakes. I have so much love and nostalgia for the originals that I can’t get excited about the changes necessitated by making it live action or the “updates” to the story lines.

I will probably see Dumbo at some point, but I am, in general, not a fan of these live action remakes. I have so much love and nostalgia for the originals that I can’t get excited about the changes necessitated by making it live action or the “updates” to the story lines.

Same here. I don't think any of the remakes have been an improvement, so I don't really see the point.

I usually find the live action remakes entertaining and harmless - I really think Disney just uses them as high-budget advertisements for the animated films, since those are the ones that have stuck around. You don't see Lily James' Cinderella or Emma Watson's Belle around anymore, but the animated characters are still everywhere. This trailer, however, I saw and just thought "Okay, that's enough, no more please," which is odd because I don't have any big connection to the original Dumbo. Everyone's been talking about Star Wars Fatigue or Marvel Fatigue, and I think that concept can very much be applied to these remakes too.

I usually find the live action remakes entertaining and harmless - I really think Disney just uses them as high-budget advertisements for the animated films, since those are the ones that have stuck around. You don't see Lily James' Cinderella or Emma Watson's Belle around anymore, but the animated characters are still everywhere. This trailer, however, I saw and just thought "Okay, that's enough, no more please," which is odd because I don't have any big connection to the original Dumbo. Everyone's been talking about Star Wars Fatigue or Marvel Fatigue, and I think that concept can very much be applied to these remakes too.

I loved the Lily Jame's Cinderella. It's on tv all the time and I think it's a classic in it's own right.

I don't mind live action versions when they are done right, and I think they've done right with each of them so far. :)
Jungle Book in particular was fantastic.

I loved the Lily Jame's Cinderella. It's on tv all the time and I think it's a classic in it's own right.

I don't mind live action versions when they are done right, and I think they've done right with each of them so far. :)
Jungle Book in particular was fantastic.

100% agree, I think Cinderella is a nearly perfect film (I just hate narration) and Jungle Book is incredible. I just feel like we're reaching a saturation point with the live action reboots.

I love the classic Tim Burton films: Nightmare Before Christmas, Batman, Beetljuice, Edward Sissorhands, PeeWee's Big Adventure, etc. - but haven't been as big a fan of the latest films (Big Fish was pretty good, but even that is going back a few years), but this has promise I think (though am fearful he focuses too much on the over the top elements in the circus, etc.)

I really immensely dislike the original Dumbo. (70 minutes of elephant abuse followed by 2 minutes of elation) with almost entirely unlikable characters except for Dumbo himself. (Sorry, Timothy is a jerk.) The only part of the movie that's any good is the Baby Mine scene which is simply heartbreaking. I used to love Time Burton though maybe not the same movies everyone else loved (Ed Wood and Sleepy Hollow are two of my favorites.) but he hasn't really done anything good since Big Fish. (I didn't see Big Eyes I will admit.) All that said, I am unlikely to go see this.

BTW, I have my tickets for Incredibles 2 on Friday. Maybe the first time in about 10 years I've been to a theater for the opening day. (I almost always wait until Sunday at least for big releases.) I was a little nervous if it would be any good, but the early word has me completely psyched.

Same here. I don't think any of the remakes have been an improvement, so I don't really see the point.

They make Disney a lot of money. That is the point.

Jungle book + Beauty and the Beast alone did over 2.2 BILLION combined at the box office Globally.

While they may not be everyone's favorite compared to the original they would be foolish not to make them.

I really immensely dislike the original Dumbo. (70 minutes of elephant abuse followed by 2 minutes of elation) with almost entirely unlikable characters except for Dumbo himself. (Sorry, Timothy is a jerk.) The only part of the movie that's any good is the Baby Mine scene which is simply heartbreaking. I used to love Time Burton though maybe not the same movies everyone else loved (Ed Wood and Sleepy Hollow are two of my favorites.) but he hasn't really done anything good since Big Fish. (I didn't see Big Eyes I will admit.) All that said, I am unlikely to go see this.
Dumbo is one of the few Disney films that is hard for me to rewatch especially as I've gotten older I'm a big baby when it comes to animals now. I hated Rise of the Planet of the Apes for that reason.

I'm on the fence with the Dumbo reboot..I think I'll wait til some reviews come out regarding the animal aspect.

Agree on Sleepy Hollow. Anytime it's on tv nowadays it gets put on. Big Fish was a good film though sad at the end.

$65 Billion... all cash. Wonder if this changes the outlook on the Disney deal...

Depends how the shareholders (and the executives as they are likely large shareholders) feel about cash vs stock. With cash here is the capital gains tax impact so once you factor that in the deals are much closer. Plus, Fox would have to pay Disney a $1.52bn breakup fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter