News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think not having free dining is detracting people at all. Disney only does discounts when they are needed and really it isn't needed like it was before.

I think it may detract from those that want Full Deluxe Dining at a Mod resort free or else they are not coming! LOL Me, I don't want to have a 911 or a Market Crash just to get that kind of a discount.

No, the resort room check.

I also think the lack of real free dining is having an impact.

To me real free dining promo is a full DDP at a Mod resort, not quick service dining.

Between these 2 things I've lost so much interest I barely come to DIS anymore. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

But they don't normally do free dining at all for the summer though, right? I could certainly see the fact that what is being offered isn't as good of a deal and of recent years has more requirements (need hoppers, etc.) is making it less of a draw then in the past for the fall

Though I also say this as someone who is not a fan of the dining plan in general and would much rather have a room only discount ... and even that doesn't do much for me as we almost always stay off site anyway

I don't think not having free dining is detracting people at all. Disney only does discounts when they are needed and really it isn't needed like it was before.

And it still works out better than the room only discount at Values, at least. I have a standard room at Pop with free dining upgraded to the regular DDP and it's only about $400 more than my dad's preferred room at ASMo with the room only discount + tickets. Both 8 nights with 9 day park hoppers. My sister and I will definitely eat more than $400 worth of food in 9 days at the parks.

It's not as good a deal as it used to be, and the change to only free QSDP at moderates pushed me back to staying at values, but the room only discounts are lacking too.

We booked every December from 2009 to 2016 at CSR with Free Dining. The overall price we paid for those vacations presented good value to us. When we went to WDW in 2008 we thought it was a once in a lifetime vacation. Because of the value of the FD at CSR for us it became our regular destination for 2 weeks every December. Yes, the enjoyment of the time spent there was part of it, but the price was right for us the return every year.

The value is now gone. With the exchange rate on the CDN dollar, cost of flights, and prices Disney thinks we should pay it just isn't a place we will return to yearly anymore. It made it really easy to just walk away from Disney when they started in with this intrusive room check policy. There's zero chance I'm going to spend $15,000 to vacation there for 2 weeks and have them banging on my door while I'm having a nap to do a bogus security check that accomplishes nothing other than appeasing their lawyers.

I guess the gamble for WDW is there enough once in a lifetime vacationers to replace the people who won't go yearly anymore because of the lack of value.

And it still works out better than the room only discount at Values, at least. I have a standard room at Pop with free dining upgraded to the regular DDP and it's only about $400 more than my dad's preferred room at ASMo with the room only discount + tickets. Both 8 nights with 9 day park hoppers. My sister and I will definitely eat more than $400 worth of food in 9 days at the parks.

It's not as good a deal as it used to be, and the change to only free QSDP at moderates pushed me back to staying at values, but the room only discounts are lacking too.
All discounts are lacking because Disney doesn't need them. People have been booking at full price and attendance hasn't been falling.

If it works for you that's great.

We won't stay at a value resort and we go for 2 weeks. I can't live on quick service for 2 weeks and if I pay to upgrade to regular DDP the value isn't there.

We booked every December from 2009 to 2016 at CSR with Free Dining. The overall price we paid for those vacations presented good value to us. When we went to WDW in 2008 we thought it was a once in a lifetime vacation. Because of the value of the FD at CSR for us it became our regular destination for 2 weeks every December. Yes, the enjoyment of the time spent there was part of it, but the price was right for us the return every year.

The value is now gone. With the exchange rate on the CDN dollar, cost of flights, and prices Disney thinks we should pay it just isn't a place we will return to yearly anymore. It made it really easy to just walk away from Disney when they started in with this intrusive room check policy. There's zero chance I'm going to spend $15,000 to vacation there for 2 weeks and have them banging on my door while I'm having a nap to do a bogus security check that accomplishes nothing other than appeasing their lawyers.

I guess the gamble for WDW is there enough once in a lifetime vacationers to replace the people who won't go yearly anymore because of the lack of value.
I have no comment on the room check policy.

As for discounts Disney only does them when they need too. If Disney did discounts all the time it really wouldn't be a discount. Disney has been able to sell rooms without the discounts more and more lately. The US economy is doing well right now. If that changes we likely will see an increase in discounts again.

All discounts are lacking because Disney doesn't need them. People have been booking at full price and attendance hasn't been falling.

I think this is true. But might be revisited because of attendance this summer. At least for next year till Star Wars takes over. Then I expect no discounts

This is the rumors and news board. WDWNT is a Disney news and rumors source. I am posting the link, it is up to you to decide to click on it.

No criticism from me for you posting it, just commenting on the likelihood of it being true. WDWNT doesn't have the greatest record, but some things they post are accurate - this particular one is on some pretty thin ice though.

I think this is true. But might be revisited because of attendance this summer. At least for next year till Star Wars takes over. Then I expect no discounts

They did try some promotions for this summer and we just saw them extend the booking window for Free Dining - so they definitely are open to doing somethings (though, I think a lot of what they have done so far just sort of look good on the surface but when you get into the details, aren't all that great) - and I suspect more of this sort of thing for next year ... but they know Galaxy's Edge will be a huge draw, and one that is going to bring in a lot of people that have never wanted to vacation at Disney before

If it works for you that's great.

We won't stay at a value resort and we go for 2 weeks. I can't live on quick service for 2 weeks and if I pay to upgrade to regular DDP the value isn't there.

There is definitely ways to do WDW on the cheaper side though

We stay off site in a 3 bedroom condo for what it costs to stay in a value practically (and we can fit 9 people in it) and helps by having some breakfasts in the unit or at least keep snacks and water and stuff cold to bring to the parks. We have one of us get an AP so we can then get Tables in Wonderland and then just eat what we want and get the discounts that we can off that. We also drive down from New York so have a car already

We also only go for 1 week (I don't think I have ever taken a vacation longer than like 10 days)

Obviously everyone vacations differently and what works for us doesn't work for others - just think if you are wanting more $ for table service food there are ways to offset other costs

No, the resort room check.

I also think the lack of real free dining is having an impact.

To me real free dining promo is a full DDP at a Mod resort, not quick service dining.

Between these 2 things I've lost so much interest I barely come to DIS anymore. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Not sure what the beef is with the room check - Disney owns the resorts, we just rent them for a very brief period of time, and thus, are subject to their rules. If this policy helps to keep guests safe and mitigates the possibility of another Vegas-style event from happening, then they are welcome to check my room at any time. I have nothing to hide, and it's not like they're going to barge in on you unannounced. I'd be curious to know why you feel that way, but agree it's probably best left for a separate thread.

As to the free dining, it's a promotion, not a guaranteed annual occurrence. It's subject to change or stoppage at any time - just like any other promotion. Us DVC members have seen many changes to our "members benefits" over the course of ownership. However, it was clearly stated in the fine print that benefits could change at any time. Many benefits have gone by the wayside since I purchased and have lessened the experience, but I knew that going in, so it's hard to be disappointed. Expecting discounts/promotions from Disney on a recurring basis is setting yourself up for disappointment. Especially with all of the new attractions coming on line and demand going through the roof - they have no need to offer discounts/promotions when demand is strong. Rather, it's a lever they pull when things are slow.

Don't get me wrong - if you are upset, you have every right to vote with your wallet and I give you credit for doing so. There's no question that in many instances, we are paying "more for less", and that is very worthy of a boycott. While I still visit WDW frequently, I choose to boycott what I can control, and that for me is spending in-parks on merchandise, extra-ticketed events, food (to as great of extent as I can), etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter