News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
As to the free dining, it's a promotion, not a guaranteed annual occurrence. It's subject to change or stoppage at any time - just like any other promotion. Us DVC members have seen many changes to our "members benefits" over the course of ownership. However, it was clearly stated in the fine print that benefits could change at any time. Many benefits have gone by the wayside since I purchased and have lessened the experience, but I knew that going in, so it's hard to be disappointed. Expecting discounts/promotions from Disney on a recurring basis is setting yourself up for disappointment.

As a mention - the diminishment of FD is partly what drove me to buy DVC. We were chasing FD and it became harder and harder as the promotion became worse. (I remember getting the full DDP at a value in 2009.) DVC has its problems - but you know what your "discount" is - a low price deluxe accommodation room.

And a few people have mentioned that the promotion is extending FD dining into the summer. That is not the case - it still doesn't start until the end of August and has limited dates - the difference is it was supposed to finish booking on July 7th, and they just extended the dates you can BOOK.

As a mention - the diminishment of FD is partly what drove me to buy DVC. We were chasing FD and it became harder and harder as the promotion became worse. (I remember getting the full DDP at a value in 2009.) DVC has its problems - but you know what your "discount" is - a low price deluxe accommodation room.

And a few people have mentioned that the promotion is extending FD dining into the summer. That is not the case - it still doesn't start until the end of August and has limited dates - the difference is it was supposed to finish booking on July 7th, and they just extended the dates you can BOOK.

I know I had posted about the change to the FD promotion and mentioned it recently as well - if I implied that it meant the actual free dining was being offered in the summer, that was not my intent - just as you are saying the booking of that promotion has been extended, not the dates of the when your stay with free dining would be

There were other promotions that they had for stays this summer - I think one may have included dining for kids or included breakfast or something - but not the "traditional" free dining. If I confused things my apologies

Actually, for Disney Visa and (I think) Canadian residents, the FD promotion began August 2 this year, so maybe it is reaching a little further into summer now.

There is definitely ways to do WDW on the cheaper side though

We stay off site in a 3 bedroom condo for what it costs to stay in a value practically (and we can fit 9 people in it) and helps by having some breakfasts in the unit or at least keep snacks and water and stuff cold to bring to the parks. We have one of us get an AP so we can then get Tables in Wonderland and then just eat what we want and get the discounts that we can off that. We also drive down from New York so have a car already

We also only go for 1 week (I don't think I have ever taken a vacation longer than like 10 days)

Obviously everyone vacations differently and what works for us doesn't work for others - just think if you are wanting more $ for table service food there are ways to offset other costs

It's not necessarily about needing to save dollars. We do ok financially. But it does start to add up and get to a point where we have to ask ourselves is it worth it?

There were a lot of factors that made WDW enjoyable and a good enough value that we made it our winter vacation spot for 2 weeks every December.

It's a long list of things that lined up for us.

It's a long day of traveling to get there and a long day to get back for us. There are no direct flights from our location in western Canada. So when 2 full days of your vacation are travel days it makes no sense to go for less than 10 days. Our shortest trip was 10 nights and our longest was 16 nights.

The Mod resorts (CSR in particular) provided an experience and price point that was perfect for us with FD. CSR is the only non Deluxe WDW resort with a Fitness Center which is a must for me on a stay that long. It also has most the other Deluxe amenities at the Mod price. We like the layout of CSR, the grounds, and the size. Most years it was $3k-$4k more to have the same stay at a Deluxe resort like Beach Club. We felt it wasn't worth it and stayed at CSR.

The DDP is not something I would pay for. However when it's included in our package price for "free". It was perfect. Table service every night without having to feel guilty about the cost of the meal. Quick service was fine for lunch and we made a Garden Grocer order for in room breakfast supplies. For 3 of us the bills for the FD usually totalled between $2,000-$2,500. There are no offsite places that would save us much more than that. Not enough more to make us consider giving up the onsite perks and atmosphere. We don't rent a car and don't want to. We didn't mind taking the Disney buses and liked vacationing in the bubble.

We got used to our routine on these vacations. It was relaxing, the cost made sense, we had great luck with December weather.

The price has changed drastically. Partly because of Disney and partly because of exchange rate. The overhead on our vacations is quite abit more than yours and most people's. Exchange rate adds 30%, flights are long and expensive from western Canada, and for the reason listed above shorter trips aren't worth it. We find about 12 nights to be perfect.

Could we compromise on somethings to make up some of the cost. Yes, but we don't want to. Why should we compromise for Disney changing the playing field? The room check policy was the final straw. We spend a lot of time at the resort. We don't want someone banging on the door while we are relaxing for a bogus security check. More importantly though is this: Most mornings I go to the fitness Center to workout while the wife sleeps in. She has anxiety and paranoia issues. It would cause her great distress to have someone pounding on the door and trying to enter the room while I'm not there. With the money we spend there we shouldn't have to worry about this. It's not an issue anywhere else we go.

So as you can see I'm not just some hot head, there are very good reasons for how I feel.

During my time here on DIS, I have been in some fairly heated debates on the merits of free dining. Frankly, I never saw tremendous value: you either pay full price on your room and get the free dining discount, or you can get a good discount off the rack rate, but no free dining. Depending on scenarios and how well you could optimize the dining plan, there could be times in which it might have a slight advantage over the rack rate discount, but generally speaking, it is pretty close to a wash. Your mileage may vary.

I can't help but think that the FX rate - which is outside of Disney's control - is playing the bigger factor in your cost increase.

It's not necessarily about needing to save dollars. We do ok financially. But it does start to add up and get to a point where we have to ask ourselves is it worth it?

There were a lot of factors that made WDW enjoyable and a good enough value that we made it our winter vacation spot for 2 weeks every December.

It's a long day of traveling to get there and a long day to get back for us. There are no direct flights from our location in western Canada. So when 2 full days of your vacation are travel days it makes no sense to go for less than 10 days. Our shortest trip was 10 nights and our longest was 16 nights.

The Mod resorts (CSR in particular) provided an experience and price point that was perfect for us with FD. CSR is the only non Deluxe WDW resort with a Fitness Center which is a must for me on a stay that long. It also has most the other Deluxe amenities at the Mod price. We like the layout of CSR, the grounds, and the size. Most years it was $3k-$4k more to have the same stay at a Deluxe resort like Beach Club. We felt it wasn't worth it and stayed at CSR.

The DDP is not something I would pay for. However when it's included in our package price for "free". It was perfect. Table service every night without having to feel guilty about the cost of the meal. Quick service was fine for lunch and we made a Garden Grocer order for in room breakfast supplies. For 3 of us the bills for the FD usually totalled between $2,000-$2,500. There are no offsite places that would save us much more than that. Not enough more to make us consider giving up the onsite perks and atmosphere. We don't rent a car and don't want to. We didn't mind taking the Disney buses and liked vacationing in the bubble.

We got used to our routine on these vacations. It was relaxing, the cost made sense, we had great luck with December weather.

The price has changed drastically. Partly because of Disney and partly because of exchange rate. The overhead on our vacations is quite abit more than yours and most people's. Exchange rate adds 30%, flights are long and expensive from western Canada, and for the reason listed above shorter trips aren't worth it. We find about 12 nights to be perfect.

Could we compromise on somethings to make up some of the cost. Yes, but we don't want to. Why should we compromise for Disney changing the playing field? The room check policy was the final straw. We spend a lot of time at the resort. We don't want someone banging on the door while we are relaxing for a bogus security check. More importantly though is this: Most mornings I go to the fitness Center to workout while the wife sleeps in. She has anxiety and paranoia issues. It would cause her great distress to have someone pounding on the door and trying to enter the room while I'm not there. With the money we spend there we shouldn't have to worry about this. It's not an issue anywhere else we go.

So as you can see I'm not just some hot head, there are very good reasons for how I feel.

I don't want to veer this too much further into off topic, but I also applaud you for voting with your wallet. But I'm thinking this policy is becoming more of a norm than an outlier. I haven't seen recent discussion on it but even the Loews hotels no longer provided the DND placard when I was there late May. I don't even know effective it would be to search for hotels who do provide DND because companies can change their policies literally overnight as WDW Resorts did. I understand the stress and anxiety that can come from the unknown. But it seems from this article it was under review for some time, perhaps many of the social issues of late pushed it to a head.

During my time here on DIS, I have been in some fairly heated debates on the merits of free dining. Frankly, I never saw tremendous value: you either pay full price on your room and get the free dining discount, or you can get a good discount off the rack rate, but no free dining. Depending on scenarios and how well you could optimize the dining plan, there could be times in which it might have a slight advantage over the rack rate discount, but generally speaking, it is pretty close to a wash. Your mileage may vary.

I can't help but think that the FX rate - which is outside of Disney's control - is playing the bigger factor in your cost increase.

The exchange rate isn't the deciding factor. We spent 12 nights at Universal last December with that exchange rate.

I'm sure you've debated the merits of the FD promo to death so I'll try not to rehash that here. It's not just about the dollars for us. For 2 adults or 2 adults with small kids who don't eat much I would probably side with most of the points you would make.

The value for us was this:

2 parents and 1 large growing athletic teenage boy with a hole in his stomach. When I totalled the food bills up at the end of a trip they averaged about $2500 for the food we ate on dining plan. Typically at that time they were offering a 20% room only discount at CSR. For a 14 night stay that didn't come close to a $2500 discount. What we really liked though was eating guilt free. Meaning food was just credits. We didn't have to have that internal struggle with the cost if we wanted steak 3 nights in a row. It made the trips more enjoyable. Could we eat cheaper than $2500 on those trips? Of course. But that would decrease the enjoyment of the trip for us.

I looked at it like this:

If a 14 night magic your way pkg for 3 at CSR was $6500 and that included 90% of our food costs, and included what we called stress free, enjoyable dining, we thought it was a good value and booked it.

If we had to ad $1500 for food ($1500 not $2500, because we would guilt ourselves into eating cheaper) this wasn't good value and lessened our enjoyment.

Working the numbers with RO discount it ended up either costing about $1000 more or we had to comprise on the dining experience. So FD was the sweet spot for us. It's not just the cost, but the overall experience.

Make sense?

I'm a stubborn man of principle. Disney has taken away my vacation experience at the price point I liked. Yes, I'm bitter about it and I will vote with my wallet. We really enjoy WDW, but we aren't stuck on it like some DIS members. We'll just spend our money elsewhere.

I'm sure at some point we'll go to WDW again, it just won't be on a yearly basis and won't be onsite if they don't change the way they implement the room check policy. So instead of us dropping $10k-&15k a year at WDW, we'll drop it somewhere else. They'll see us once every 5-7 years instead of 2 full weeks every year.

They probably don't care. They're banking on enough new people to fill the spots of the disgruntled regulars they lose. We aren't going to the US at all this year. Dec 2019 we'll probably go to Universal for 2 weeks.

I don't want to veer this too much further into off topic, but I also applaud you for voting with your wallet. But I'm thinking this policy is becoming more of a norm than an outlier. I haven't seen recent discussion on it but even the Loews hotels no longer provided the DND placard when I was there late May. I don't even know effective it would be to search for hotels who do provide DND because companies can change their policies literally overnight as WDW Resorts did. I understand the stress and anxiety that can come from the unknown. But it seems from this article it was under review for some time, perhaps many of the social issues of late pushed it to a head.

They had the DND signs at RPR in December and did a fantastic job of respecting our privacy. We complimented them on it.

Honestly, if this spreads throughout the US, we just won't spend our vacation dollars in the US.

Anyway, I'm sure rteetz is about to ask us to get back on topic and I've said my piece.

They had the DND signs at RPR in December and did a fantastic job of respecting our privacy. We complimented them on it.

Honestly, if this spreads throughout the US, we just won't spend our vacation dollars in the US.

Anyway, I'm sure rteetz is about to ask us to get back on topic and I've said my piece.

Haha yeah probably true, but one more before we go on to the next thing. I thought it was a fairly recent change but I haven't seen any posts on the Uni side of the boards. Also it could've just been Portofino and they're rolling it out slowly. Who knows, its hard to keep up anymore. From the multiple articles I've read on the topic it seems like most hotels have various internal policies, perhaps due to lawsuits they have to be more open about those policies. Lord knows the Mouse doesn't like the courtroom.

ok, I'll keep an eye on this - I think it is rather nice and as this time I will have an AP I kinda want to take advantage of that and get all the "AP stuff" I can (the magnets, etc. - and then things like this, if it is still available)

AP renewal rates may keep coming back for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter