News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
So that makes me want to try it, just to say I did. :rotfl:
Maybe my palette is just not refined enough but we always have enjoyed the pizza there. We grab a slice on the way back to the room. It's nice to sit and wind down with a slice and a beer before heading to the room for the night. Of course, we don't have any "good" pizzas in the Deep South I guess. To each their own I guess.

I guess I still don't see the point of this .. when every resort guest gets a Magic Band. Why would I want to whip out my phone to open my door when I have something attached to my wrist that doesn't require me to: - unlock my phone, open the app, navigate to the "unlock door" part of MDE, and then hold my phone to my door. A process that could take 30-60 seconds as opposed to the 2 seconds it takes to lift my wrist to the door?

Is this a technology rollout that will allow them to eventually just stop giving away Magic Bands (and make it a paid option) and have guests just utilize their own smart phone? Or is this just something being rolled out to the Deluxe hotels to make them "feel" fancy and high-tech? Do people in Deluxe resorts not use/like Magic Bands? (Because they find it so garish or plebian?)

I guess I just don't understand the money spent on this redundancy when all this money was sunk into the Magic bands.

I guess I still don't see the point of this .. when every resort guest gets a Magic Band. Why would I want to whip out my phone to open my door when I have something attached to my wrist that doesn't require me to: - unlock my phone, open the app, navigate to the "unlock door" part of MDE, and then hold my phone to my door. A process that could take 30-60 seconds as opposed to the 2 seconds it takes to lift my wrist to the door?

Is this a technology rollout that will allow them to eventually just stop giving away Magic Bands (and make it a paid option) and have guests just utilize their own smart phone? Or is this just something being rolled out to the Deluxe hotels to make them "feel" fancy and high-tech? Do people in Deluxe resorts not use/like Magic Bands? (Because they find it so garish or plebian?)

I guess I just don't understand the money spent on this redundancy when all this money was sunk into the Magic bands.
Not everyone likes the magicband. This gives people another option. Also if you forget your band in your room you have your phone as an option.

New patent shows Disney developing moving floors for virtual reality experiences

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...oving-floors-for-virtual-reality-attractions/

let's go live to Imagineering:
jamiroquai-virtual-insanity.gif

Yeah if true I’m interested to see how it works.

I don’t even remember when I hit 10K ;)

I don't even aspire to be as popular as you @rteetz!

Is there good Pizza ANYWHERE in WDW, other than Via Napoli? I've never found it. And I love a good "cheap" pizza.

I would say some of the flatbreads are really good - though I guess not technically pizza. We enjoy the flatbread special....Edit: At AKL (somehow that got cut off!)

maybe we just didn't do Via Napoli the right way but when the bill came my reaction was "wow, that added up and was pretty pricey" much more than at other meals at WDW

See - we just ordered a large pizza for the 3 of us. Price is terrible ($30 for a pizza?) but when it comes to a sit-down Disney restaurant it's pretty good. If you each order individual pizzas it'll kill you.

Last edited:

I would say some of the flatbreads are really good - though I guess not technically pizza. We enjoy the flatbread special

Yeah, I actually really like the flatbreads at Pinocchio's, though I don't think that's a popular opinion, and like you said it isn't REALLY pizza. Pizza in the actual theme parks is just embarrassingly bad though.

Going to see Christopher Robin in a few hours. I'm pretty excited, I love Ewan MacGregor. I don't think it will do the best in box office but that probably doesn't matter because they already have the merch out in full force.

Also got our tickets with Movie Pass, which was a bit odd since I thought they weren't going to let people see Christopher Robin or the Meg.

Is there good Pizza ANYWHERE in WDW, other than Via Napoli? I've never found it. And I love a good "cheap" pizza.

Some of the flat bread pizzas were tasty when we were there in Feb 2017. Although, it wasn't all of them. I'm not quite sure how Disney did that, but you can order a flat bread pizza at one place that tastes either tons better or tons worse then at another.

Going to see Christopher Robin in a few hours. I'm pretty excited, I love Ewan MacGregor. I don't think it will do the best in box office but that probably doesn't matter because they already have the merch out in full force.

Also got our tickets with Movie Pass, which was a bit odd since I thought they weren't going to let people see Christopher Robin or the Meg.

If I had to guess, I'd say MoviePass had no idea how to implement the blocks and probably doesn't have enough workers left to write the software. They only survived into this month with a vicious bridge loan. I will be surprised if they make it to October, despite raising prices 50% and trying to limit what people can see.

Maybe my palette is just not refined enough but we always have enjoyed the pizza there. We grab a slice on the way back to the room. It's nice to sit and wind down with a slice and a beer before heading to the room for the night. Of course, we don't have any "good" pizzas in the Deep South I guess. To each their own I guess.

Not sure where in the South you are at, but there are some good pizza places in Georgia. For a chain, Mellow Mushroom is pretty good, and they are pretty common in the South.

If I had to guess, I'd say MoviePass had no idea how to implement the blocks and probably doesn't have enough workers left to write the software. They only survived into this month with a vicious bridge loan. I will be surprised if they make it to October, despite raising prices 50% and trying to limit what people can see.

We were guessing that it might have to do with the fact that our nearest theater allows e-ticketing, so I didn't know if that changed anything.

I hope it doesn't fail, we've seen so many movies with that. And movies are expensive :(

I'm excited for this too. Think we might take our in laws along this weekend because my mother in law is a huge Winnie the Pooh fan.

Or (I'm hoping!) for when your magicband won't unlock the door. Happens to me every trip.

Exactly. Have had home some brutal check-in attempts at the Beach Club in the past with a magic band that just wouldn't "connect" to our new room reservation for whatever reason.

Many of those who have stayed in the "maze" resort's in the recent past can relate I am sure.

We were guessing that it might have to do with the fact that our nearest theater allows e-ticketing, so I didn't know if that changed anything.

I hope it doesn't fail, we've seen so many movies with that. And movies are expensive :(

I've heard good things about AMC's new A-List program. It's $19.95 per month for up to 3 movies a week, including 3D, IMAX, etc. Of course it's only good at AMC.

I've heard good things about AMC's new A-List program. It's $19.95 per month for up to 3 movies a week, including 3D, IMAX, etc. Of course it's only good at AMC.

That’s a pretty good price - not much more than a single movie

Now just need someone to invent Babbysitter-pass (well, I guess they have that, it’s called a “Nanny” and it’s a lot more than $19.95/month)

We've been going to AMC $5 ticket Tuesdays now for a while. And it's been made so much better now that you can reserve online for the $5 price (before you had to physically go to the theater to buy the tickets at the reduced price). We average probably 2 movies per month with some months going by without seeing a movie and other ones seeing more than 2.

As rteetz notes, not all guests have Magic Bands. I think people tend to forget (or maybe they don't know) that Disney World does a lot of meetings and conventions. Those people typically won't have Magic Bands but nearly 100% of them have smart phones.

Part of getting that type of business means keeping up with the Joneses. All of the major hotel chains are adding this type of functionality. Although not having it wouldn't keep a meeting planner from booking, it would be a negative mark against Disney. Given the price Disney commands, meeting planners aren't going to overlook too many of those small negatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter