News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
See: Xanadu project at the Meadowlands in NJ, which still isn't done despite ground being broken in 2004 (and had an expected construction time of 2 years)
Xanadu had so many other problems it's hard to compare to anything. It would take hours to list all the flaws with the various developers, owners, financiers, politicians and corrupt construction companies that have all taken a piece of the Xanadu project. Seriously, Xanadu, or The Revel which is also in NJ, might be two of the most poorly managed, from top to bottom, private construction projects ever undertaken in the U.S. There might be something similarly egregious in Vegas, but these two are just appalling. From idea to financing to execution to simple timing, nothing has ever been done properly. It's astonishing.

See: Xanadu project at the Meadowlands in NJ, which still isn't done despite ground being broken in 2004 (and had an expected construction time of 2 years)
Yeah..that's my concern. You piqued my interest so I looked that up and an article from April of this year says it's 'on track' to be open in March of 2019----I guess don't cross your fingers lol.

I remember first time I went to Vegas Aria had been halted because they had run out of money (now Aria is complete with a new developer at least I think it was a new developer). On a smaller scale a shopping district in a nice (read high price tag for homes) area in my area the developer ran out of money and it sat with just a few things for a few years-new developer several years later took over and now it has a bunch of stuff. And while it is their business model (they build phases when they have the $ for it rather than build all at once) Schlitterbahn in our area is not complete (it's been open since 2009 with a total of 2 phases complete presently and having been announced in 2005, ground breaking in 2007).

Im curious how much a head will be at the new Brazilian steak house that gets built in the Brazilian pavilion at Epcot. I wouldn't be suprised if we see 75 to 90 dollars a person
back in May it was announced that in celebration of the 10th anniversary of Marvel Studios, Marvel Studios: Hero Acts is donating $1.25 million to provide transformative experiences to strengthen the lives of children impacted by serious illness - which included $450,000 to Starlight Children’s Foundation which would use the funds to produce more than 26,000 Starlight Gowns – the charity’s revolutionary new colorful and comfortable children’s hospital gowns.,

Just saw a tweet showing a number of the different Marvel and Star Wars themed hospital gowns that Disney will be providing to hospitals and thought they were pretty cool:
View attachment 341115

Love it. Anything to brighten up a children's hospital. Wonderful effort! :tigger:

Yeah..that's my concern. You piqued my interest so I looked that up and an article from April of this year says it's 'on track' to be open in March of 2019----I guess don't cross your fingers lol.

I remember first time I went to Vegas Aria had been halted because they had run out of money (now Aria is complete with a new developer at least I think it was a new developer). On a smaller scale a shopping district in a nice (read high price tag for homes) area in my area the developer ran out of money and it sat with just a few things for a few years-new developer several years later took over and now it has a bunch of stuff. And while it is their business model (they build phases when they have the $ for it rather than build all at once) Schlitterbahn in our area is not complete (it's been open since 2009 with a total of 2 phases complete presently and having been announced in 2005, ground breaking in 2007).

Given Schlitterbahn's ownership current legal troubles, I would be interested to watch if that place grows anymore. Those guys are in deep, face down right now.

I don't think it's all that strange really. Actually I think it's probably a brillant idea should it all pan out money-wise and timeframe-wise.

They are obviously drawing on Cedar Point and King's Island appeal and hoping to divert guests away from those and/or offer a different experience.

Map wise with driving where it's located at (Sunbury) is almost exactly halfway between Cedar Point and King's Island. Cedar Fair Entertainment Company owns both Cedar Point and King's Island (among other parks).

FWIW concerning weather, attraction type, etc another article I read had this information: "...will offer more than two dozen wide-ranging attractions, including a saltwater lake as big as 20 acres with a sand beach. ...include indoor skydiving, go-kart racing, rock climbing, an indoor water park, skate park, BMX racing, e-sports and other attractions. It also would have a wellness center, hotels, a conference center and at least 70 restaurants, ranging from fast food to fine dining."
I think they just have a brilliant marketing team that makes a "shopping center with some entertainment options" seem way bigger than it is.

This seems similar to Broadway at the Beach in Myrtle Beach -- a giant area that has attractions (Aquarium, mini-golf, movie theatre, (used to have MagiQuest)), has restaurants and tourist-style shops). Not a destination, but a place for locals and tourists to go to while there. So doesn't seem like a national story . .more just a local story.

I think they just have a brilliant marketing team that makes a "shopping center with some entertainment options" seem way bigger than it is.

This seems similar to Broadway at the Beach in Myrtle Beach -- a giant area that has attractions (Aquarium, mini-golf, movie theatre, (used to have MagiQuest)), has restaurants and tourist-style shops). Not a destination, but a place for locals and tourists to go to while there. So doesn't seem like a national story . .more just a local story.

yeah, but it is "FOUR TIMES THE SIZE OF DISNEYLAND!!!!" - so of course it is major National news!!!!

;)

Who is she replacing at H&V? I’m guessing Jake?

Less and less things for little boys at Disney anymore. Everything is being over-run with things for little girls. I really wish there were more things for boys. we don't care about star wars stuff right now, hes never even seen it. Wonder why everything is so heavily marketed to girls. Boys like Disney too!

Less and less things for little boys at Disney anymore. Everything is being over-run with things for little girls. I really wish there were more things for boys. we don't care about star wars stuff right now, hes never even seen it. Wonder why everything is so heavily marketed to girls. Boys like Disney too!

Well, obviously the princess dresses and stuff sell big, and the Princess marketing and "Dream Big Princess" is a big effort now

But you just mentioned Star Wars (which isn't really only for boys but probably skews a bit more "boy" in the traditional sense) and also all the marvel stuff, which due to the agreement can't have as big a presence in WDW but will in Disneyland. And while they might remove Jake here Pirates still have a pretty big presence ... I don't know, seems like plenty of stuff for "boys"

I also see just more things marketed to "everyone" not boys vs girls. They just added Mickey and Roadster Racer Goofy to H&V and I would think historically things like car racing would be more "boy" but that show features the girls racing too. And a lot of the newer princesses I think appeal to boys and girls (I know for my son one of the high priority meets was with Anna)

Wonder why everything is so heavily marketed to girls.

Princesses man, Princesses! :tink: Boys show up and do boys things. pirate: Girls learn how to be a princess. :tinker:Cant even imagine the income from Bibbidi Bobbidy. We bought my twin sons coonskin hats, my daughter got a designer dress. Yes, we were bad parents. But, my boys got more use out of them coonskin hats than she did the dress. Now, my grandtinker will get the whole treatment early next year....:tink:Princesses man, Princesses:tink:!

I don't agree with this between Marvel, Star wars, Cars, Toy story and the regular Disney characters Boys are more then covered...

Eh.. a shopping center with some entertainment options doesn't quite seem to fit the descriptions given of the place. But that's just me. It seems more heavily focused on entertainment not shopping center. There's a conference center too, health and wellness center, a lot of hotels, and numerous sports oriented stuff, rides, etc. Obviously with how things go it could change but methinks the focus won't be on shopping much but rather actual experience driven.

I think it would have been at the very least regional (i.e. midwest) news anyways given what the project is. What made the issue to me is the first article calling it an amusement park and comparing it to DLR. They were reaching with those descriptions and just trying to capture attention.

*On a slight tangent you couldn't pay me to go back to Myrtle Beach. It's the only place on vacation (of all the places I've been) that I regret going to.

See and I would think you would get people that would say EVERYTHING going into DHS is marketing to boys. Toy Story, Star Wars, and the Lightning McQueen stuff all skew boy. The Mickey/Minnie Runaway Railway maybe more even on that one, but certainly the rest. Plus Gaurdians in Epcot is definitely more boy oriented as well - so not sure I see where you are coming from here. (And especially if you completely dismiss Star Wars - which is far and a away the most heavily marketed property towards boys next to Marvel - which they are limited to in the parks.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter