• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney's not going to do this. And it's no surprise Universal is rolling this out right now with SW:GE opening end of next year. This is an easy way to get people to renew this year and carry their numbers forward through that opening. The only chance you have of Disney doing something similar is a massive recession or the year Universal opens a real new gate.

Totally agree - though, the other scenario I could think of is if they do come out with an AP level that is blacked out for DHS once Galaxy's Edge opens, I could see some promos trying to get people to buy that one. But overall Disney might be worried about their attendance for the next 13 months or so but I think they are operating as if they are going to be over-capacity consistently after that

Disney's not going to do this. And it's no surprise Universal is rolling this out right now with SW:GE opening end of next year. This is an easy way to get people to renew this year and carry their numbers forward through that opening. The only chance you have of Disney doing something similar is a massive recession or the year Universal opens a real new gate.

Universal has been doing the 3-month extensions for some time now, but the 6-month extension is enticing to lock-in before SW:GE opens. However, I think Disney will do this for the reasons you mentioned or if they have predictive market indicators and want the cash flow short-term. But, I don't see this potential option happening until after the 50th.

Universal has been doing the 3-month extensions for some time now, but the 6-month extension is enticing to lock-in before SW:GE opens. However, I think Disney will do this for the reasons you mentioned or if they have predictive market indicators and want the cash flow short-term. But, I don't see this potential option happening until after the 50th.

And I might be reading this wrong, but it doesn't appear you get the extension if you buy park tickets and then upgrade to AP when you get to the parks. (there's a specific clause in the T&C that states promotion cannot be applied to prior purchases)

Appears that Disney and Cirque du Soleil are starting to develop a show to replace "La Nouba". Cirque du Soleil has a job posted online for a temporary position that will last roughly 17 months starting in late October in Montreal, Canada with travel to Orlando for a “Project Manager/Set Director - WDI”. "Work in sunny Florida for the winter!"

Yep....we're going this route too. I think you bring up an interesting point....extended AP's at steep(?) discounts.

I didn’t mean a deal on passes necessarily, though that would be great. The past few weeks especially have brought various price hikes at WDW, but not at Uni and Uni is basically lowering their pass rate. Just saying Disney should stop making everything ridiculously overpriced and throw a deal out to us once in a while. I love WDW but I’m not loving their price hikes on food, merch, and at the resorts, or the lack of a discount at counter service places for passholders. Depending on what pass you have at Uni, you get0-15% off all park operated counter service, all the time. That entices me to actually buy food in the park sometimes; their prices are more reasonable than Disneys to begin with.

I didn’t mean a deal on passes necessarily, though that would be great. The past few weeks especially have brought various price hikes at WDW, but not at Uni and Uni is basically lowering their pass rate. Just saying Disney should stop making everything ridiculously overpriced and throw a deal out to us once in a while. I love WDW but I’m not loving their price hikes on food, merch, and at the resorts, or the lack of a discount at counter service places for passholders. Depending on what pass you have at Uni, you get0-15% off all park operated counter service, all the time. That entices me to actually buy food in the park sometimes; their prices are more reasonable than Disneys to begin with.

One thing though - raising the food prices gets heard by the 1% of the community that's Disney OCD. Most Disney visitors don't even realize things like this. And you can also bet Universal raises their food prices to match. (I didn't see any bargains at Universal except maybe the refillable mugs in the parks versus Disney not having those.)

One thing though - raising the food prices gets heard by the 1% of the community that's Disney OCD. Most Disney visitors don't even realize things like this. And you can also bet Universal raises their food prices to match. (I didn't see any bargains at Universal except maybe the refillable mugs in the parks versus Disney not having those.)

Plus I am sure most people see it as: "well, it's still cheaper that at [major leage sports team stadium]"

The refillable mugs at Universal are a good deal - wish Disney would add that (especially with their whole "eco" push with eliminating straws and what not

Plus I am sure most people see it as: "well, it's still cheaper that at [major leage sports team stadium]"

The refillable mugs at Universal are a good deal - wish Disney would add that (especially with their whole "eco" push with eliminating straws and what not
This is what annoys me about Disney's 'eco' push. All meaningless feel-good virtue-signalling while missing opportunities like expanding the refillable mugs to encompass the entirety of WDW, and actually addressing the excessive amounts of plastic present in their merchandise packaging. I'd be all for the refillable mugs if it means that I can actually have a lidded cup to protect my $1500 Nikon camera from being damaged by potential spillages from a clumsy guest bumping into me by accident.

Appears that Disney and Cirque du Soleil are starting to develop a show to replace "La Nouba". Cirque du Soleil has a job posted online for a temporary position that will last roughly 17 months starting in late October in Montreal, Canada with travel to Orlando for a “Project Manager/Set Director - WDI”. "Work in sunny Florida for the winter!"

I thought theater work on the new show began months ago when they closed La Nouba. From what I had heard they want a more Disney feel to the show with characters included.

I didn't calculate a % comparison, but I tend to think that Uni uses some metric ($/attraction?) to market their share. I think you hit the mark in that if a theme park can "manage" a gate entry, it will "free" up the monies to be spent on consumables (i.e. food). So then the question might be, where do I maximize profit? In my mind, bring them into the parks via a perceived/real gate entry value, and use the convenience factor to drive up my consumable(s) volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter