• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't say I'm all that excited about seeing a more realistic-looking Mufasa die.
I don't know if it makes me a wimp or not but even as an adult that scene is hard for me to watch :sad1:. It's one of the reasons that I may not see the new one in theaters at least...depends I guess. I'd rather watch it at home. It's also why Dumbo may also be one I watch at home. I'm a big 'ole softy when it comes to animals these days but Mufasa was always hard for me to watch as a kid. I would often fast forward the VHS past that part lol.

Dumbo looks like it could be good and so does Lion King at least in terms of visuals. I still prefer the older animation. I did appreciate that Beauty and the Beast added a new song or two (I actually like Evermore) though the original movies had so many songs I enjoyed.

News

Get a behind the scenes look at Lightning McQueens racing academy

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-party-special/?CMP=SOC-DPFY19Q1wo1122180007A
My wife was just saying how Cars (despite having 3 movies) wasn't represented at ALL in the parks. I told her about this.
It will definitely be something to check out and gives an excuse for us to go down Sunset Boulevard (with two little kids we haven't ventured down there except to check out the Christmas show on the tower).

The way they say "This all-new, high-octane show opens in the park’s Sunset Showcase in spring 2019 as part of the overall transformation of Disney’s Hollywood Studios. " makes it sound more like this is a permanent edition to the park and not just another "temporary" attraction they use to help guests not feel ripped off by the lack of attractions (not the case anymore thanks to Toy Story Land).

To me it sounds like a show with the "gimmick" of a wraparound screen with an animatronic McQueen (on that racing simulator from Cars 3) is sorta the "host" for the show. Maybe it will be interactive like the Laugh Floor? But sounds like the show would be about McQueen teaching you the ropes while you sit and watch on the screen.

The Rock won't get me to see the film. What will get me to see the film is I love the Jungle Cruise attraction.

In terms of Disney films based on attractions...Lets just hope Jungle Cruise isn't like a certain movie that will remain nameless.

Actually as far as "action" stars go his acting is pretty good. He just has a very narrow range.

My turn - I'll admit that I am not a huge fan of these "live-action" remakes. The only one that really felt necessary was the Jungle Book. The rest (Cinderella, B&tB) I enjoyed well enough, but they didn't particularly grab me because they added so little to the original story. So generally I could take or leave the remakes.

Dumbo - not a fan at all of the original, and Tim Burton hasn't made a good movie in 15 years, so I think I will likely wait until home for that one.

Aladdin - This one will depend on the trailer and especially whether I find Will Smith appealing as the Genie. This one I feel like they could depart quite a bit and make it interesting while still keeping the main plot and songs from the original.

Lion King - I just feel like they are doing another "exactly the same" thing - and that doesn't interest me. However, DD is excited so they might get my money anyways.

Toy Story 4 - IDK - I just don't know if I can take another Toy Story movie.

Frozen 2 - Not sure here either. I enjoyed the first, but felt like with most things they left it in the right place.

Probably much more looking forward to the Marvel and SW films than any of these.

(Wow - when you list it all out you realize (a) Disney has no original ideas in 2019 and (b) there's a good chance they still make somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 billion worldwide. Pretty sad honestly.)

Just random but thought I’d share...

My kids came to me today and said “I wish Disney infinity was back.”

We have so many great memories playing that game it’s a shame there will never be a new one
It's such a shame that Disney Infinity had to die such a death, along with Disney Interactive Studios (ironically, Avalanche, a former constituent studio, was later sold to Warner Brothers, and has, so far, only developed one Disney game since the sell-off, to tie in with Cars 3). When I first got it back in 2015, when 3.0 and the Inside Out playset came out, I was looking forward to more content, having been sold on it following a live demonstration in a Disney Store in Liverpool by a CM. I hoped that, given DIStudios' struggles with own-developed original IP and tie-in games, it would lift their fortunes and made them the king of TTL games, having faced fierce competition with Activision's Skylanders franchise, but sadly, it ended up being such a negative gamble - so much that DIStudios had to shut down and become a licensing arm for third-party game developers. Even Warner, having already had experience with developing LEGO Disney games (including Star Wars and Marvel, which I thought wasn't going to be likely seeing as Warner owns their rival, DC), became one of Disney's game licensees.

(Wow - when you list it all out you realize (a) Disney has no original ideas in 2019 and (b) there's a good chance they still make somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 billion worldwide. Pretty sad honestly.)

Agreed, be nice if they tossed in a bunch of originals to see how they perform.

I mean take your $10 Billion yes, but add some at least.

clearly :D

I love the original - one of my absolute favorite Disney animated movie .... I just don't see the purpose of this one

Aladdin I am looking forward to - but this one and Dumbo I really don't care about :confused3
Early on I would have agreed about Dumbo however the trailer has me sold.

None of the remakes interest me enough to be excited or to want to pay to see it in the movie theater. The Lion King trailer really threw me off, this may sound silly, but I expected a film where the story of the lion king was adapted into a human story. I was totally disappointed with that trailer. It led to a big discussion on thanksgiving about the lack of original ideas in the movie industry. We are getting pummeled with remakes and sequels. TV shows are more entertaining nowadays. I’d say over the last 3-4 years we have gone from seeing 10-12 movies in the theater a year to now seeing 1-2 movies a year in the theater. (In our 30s with one young child for reference) I’ll continue to wait for redbox, streaming, or our icloud family share.

None of the remakes interest me enough to be excited or to want to pay to see it in the movie theater. The Lion King trailer really threw me off, this may sound silly, but I expected a film where the story of the lion king was adapted into a human story. I was totally disappointed with that trailer. It led to a big discussion on thanksgiving about the lack of original ideas in the movie industry. We are getting pummeled with remakes and sequels. TV shows are more entertaining nowadays. I’d say over the last 3-4 years we have gone from seeing 10-12 movies in the theater a year to now seeing 1-2 movies a year in the theater. (In our 30s with one young child for reference) I’ll continue to wait for redbox, streaming, or our icloud family share.

Well, "with a young child" tends to drop the movie-going significantly. We were down to 1-2 movies a year when our daughter was little, now back up to maybe 6-8 a year.

The problem with only doing remakes and sequels is that eventually where do the future remakes and sequels come from?? Admittedly whenever Disney seems to try something remotely new in bombs. This year their only two semi-original ideas - Nutcracker and Wrinkle in Time - bombed. Christopher Robin which is semi-original did OK for expectations, but not a huge hit. Last year there weren't any - but in 2016 both Pete's Dragon and BFG did poorly. And one wasn't even really original and at least not a shot for shot remake. 2015 saw Tomorrowland cost them $200 million. Then we go back to John Carter...yeesh.

So - the lessons Disney learns from this is "nothing original". Considering the most risky thing they are doing next year is releasing Captain Marvel...unless you count Artemis Fowl which is right now scheduled for next year as well, but I'm sure is being done on a relatively low budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter