News Round Up 2020

Look, I am all for supporting the worker - but I don't really agree with the "just keep paying them" attitude. If you assume that the average Disney employee is getting $15 an hour, and that they would 40 hour weeks ($600 a week), and that their are 100,000 - you are asking Disney to Pony up $60 million a week with no revenue coming in. And if they furlough these people - they are going to get at least that from the government in unemployment. Better to furlough them, let the government "pay" the salary. I give Disney a lot of credit for extending medical benefits to the furloughed workers.

I admit that Disney does not always treat it's employees as well as it should, but expecting them to just keep paying all of them indefinitely is a good way to drive the company to bankruptcy.

And as far as "safety theater" they will need to do more than that. Even if you think they could care less about their customers health, they have to consider what a PR nightmare this could lead to. Let's say they reopen in July to just US citizen, and in the next six weeks we find out that a massive re-outbreak of COVID occurred all from people visiting Disney World. Not just more health disaster, but a true PR disaster for Disney in terms of getting people to ever come back.

And how do you regulate things like masks when you are in a business that caters to families with small children. Your going to get a 2-year old at Disney world to wear a mask for 7 straight days while he runs around touching every surface in sight? Likewise with the other 2000 3 and unders in the park? Or do you have Disney ban small children?

I still think that the ONLY way Disney reopens is if they have a handle on wide-spread testing - and they test every guest entering the parks and reject those that test positive. (Same thing with testing CM at least weekly.) Checking temperatures does little to stem the spread.

I see lots of people act like - "oh we just have to get over this hump and things will be back to normal in May". Not gonna happen folks. Things aren't getting "back to normal" for months if not years.

Look, I am all for supporting the worker - but I don't really agree with the "just keep paying them" attitude. If you assume that the average Disney employee is getting $15 an hour, and that they would 40 hour weeks ($600 a week), and that their are 100,000 - you are asking Disney to Pony up $60 million a week with no revenue coming in. And if they furlough these people - they are going to get at least that from the government in unemployment. Better to furlough them, let the government "pay" the salary. I give Disney a lot of credit for extending medical benefits to the furloughed workers.

I admit that Disney does not always treat it's employees as well as it should, but expecting them to just keep paying all of them indefinitely is a good way to drive the company to bankruptcy.

And as far as "safety theater" they will need to do more than that. Even if you think they could care less about their customers health, they have to consider what a PR nightmare this could lead to. Let's say they reopen in July to just US citizen, and in the next six weeks we find out that a massive re-outbreak of COVID occurred all from people visiting Disney World. Not just more health disaster, but a true PR disaster for Disney in terms of getting people to ever come back.

And how do you regulate things like masks when you are in a business that caters to families with small children. Your going to get a 2-year old at Disney world to wear a mask for 7 straight days while he runs around touching every surface in sight? Likewise with the other 2000 3 and unders in the park? Or do you have Disney ban small children?

I still think that the ONLY way Disney reopens is if they have a handle on wide-spread testing - and they test every guest entering the parks and reject those that test positive. (Same thing with testing CM at least weekly.) Checking temperatures does little to stem the spread.

I see lots of people act like - "oh we just have to get over this hump and things will be back to normal in May". Not gonna happen folks. Things aren't getting "back to normal" for months if not years.

So you would rather the government (aka every citizen) pay them and bankrupt all of us? Companies that can afford to pay should.

So you would rather the government (aka every citizen) pay them and bankrupt all of us? Companies that can afford to pay should.

We all have unemployment insurance money taken out of our checks wach pay period for if you ever get laid off. Also no different than amy other company that has furloughed workers so why attack disney for doing it? It's getting a bit ridic the high expectations some people hold disney to but don't seem to have for other companies. If you don't like what they are doing then stop going to the parks, stop buying their products and watching their various forms of entertainment.

We all have unemployment insurance money taken out of our checks wach pay period for if you ever get laid off
In a number of states the employer pays it so the workers may not see it/be aware.

In a number of states the employer pays it so the workers may not see it/be aware.

Fair enough but still shows it's there regardless of whether it's the emp or employer paying. Yes there's the add'l money from the gov, but they've done that before by extending the length you can claim, but my point was it's not all gov money and generally isn't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter