News Round Up 2020

Figured eventually they would settle their spat at some point; this pandemic has really created a mess for the movie and film industry that's for sure.

AMC did make sure they wouldn't lose out out on revenue. Per the tweet: "the company {AMC} will “share in these new revenue streams,” which means that it will get a cut of any money made on these digital rentals. Universal only has the ability to put its movies on premium on-demand, meaning the rentals that go for roughly $20 a pop. It cannot sell films or rent them for lower on-demand fees, in the $3 to $6 range, until three months after they debut in cinemas."

Now we just have to wait for time to pass for the theaters open with movies releasing to see how this deal all ends up working out for the both of them.

Our experience with the Premium VOD does not bode well for this working out for Universal.

We rented Trolls World Tour to have something new for our young boys to watch. The problem was that while they understand that movies at the theater aren't at our house, they don't understand why movies at our house aren't still at our house after 48 hours. They were very sad about it disappearing for months. I know in a few years that will change but for now I wouldn't rent another kids movie as long as we're stuck here.

We also have seen other movies we want to watch come through like the new Pete Davidson one, but knowing that if we wait them out we can have the exact same experience in 3 months for 1/3 the price, it's been easy to wait. If those same movies were in theaters we'd definitely go, spend $60 on tickets and popcorn and soda and enjoy ourselves. It's not worth the upcharge to stay at home.

Our experience with the Premium VOD does not bode well for this working out for Universal.

We rented Trolls World Tour to have something new for our young boys to watch. The problem was that while they understand that movies at the theater aren't at our house, they don't understand why movies at our house aren't still at our house after 48 hours. They were very sad about it disappearing for months. I know in a few years that will change but for now I wouldn't rent another kids movie as long as we're stuck here.

We also have seen other movies we want to watch come through like the new Pete Davidson one, but knowing that if we wait them out we can have the exact same experience in 3 months for 1/3 the price, it's been easy to wait. If those same movies were in theaters we'd definitely go, spend $60 on tickets and popcorn and soda and enjoy ourselves. It's not worth the upcharge to stay at home.

We rented Trolls, also, and my kid watched it 12 times that weekend. She burned herself out on it, so I felt like we got our money’s worth. :)

AMC did make sure they wouldn't lose out out on revenue. Per the tweet: "the company {AMC} will “share in these new revenue streams,” which means that it will get a cut of any money made on these digital rentals.

That's really all it takes is for everyone to get a piece of the action. Based on how this works out, I think it's logical that we'll be seeing more deals including the other theater chains and studios. I'm a Blu-ray fan and one of the remaining that still get them from Netflix ... I wonder if the physical releases will be moved up, but I doubt it

P.S. I know I've been leading the charge against the periodic "Disney is going bankrupt" sky is falling posts, but if you want to post a "Seaworld may not make it through this" post, I won't argue.
I think SeaWorld was in a lot more trouble going into this, still not fully recovered from the Blackfish issues. So the shutdown definitely hurt them badly.

Went down a Disney rabbit hole today......

I see it is being speculated that MVMCP has been cancelled along with candlelight processional. Has this already been shared?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter