News Round Up 2020

From what I’ve been made to understand from the insiders on WDWMagic, the first 2 strong yes, but they legitimately didn’t care at all what Universal was doing. But they also felt they had built a good plan that minimized risk and wanted to try to make it work.

They were 100000% influenced by Universal and to an extent Seaworld. Wouldnt be the first time and it isnt going to be the last, as much as they hate to actually admit that.

Don't speak in absolutes. There are people going to WDW and there are DEFINITELY people waiting/wanting to go. But I agree, it seems like Disney is doing everything it can to keep people away.

I know everyone judges by what's going on in their corner of the world. In my corner, people are OUT. People are going places, people are visiting each other, people are having backyard get togethers, people are in parks, people are in the restaurants/outside in the restaurants and bars, people are starting go on smaller trips.
I know people who run a cat sitting business (visit the cats while people are away) and business is BOOMING!

People are doing their thing. With masks on, but the city is moving again. I just think most people who are starting to do things again aren't broadcasting it all over the place because they will get shamed.

It's definitely not "no one is willing to go" but it is a reduction from "normal" - obviously one data point but there was that survey that said 72% are not willing to visit a theme park. If that remaining 28% is now your available pool and those people have to be willing to travel to Florida and pay the price for Disney with a reduced experience (even if they add some discounts it's still not cheap ... Even Universal with their programs is not cheap, it is a chunk of $ to spend) - add in uncertainty around the economy, travel restrictions to/from a lot of states, etc ....

With all that I can understand Disney saying that there are k my so many people we will get in the doors no matter what we do, and better to cut expenses and just make what we can off those still willing to come

Now, I do think Disney could treat the passholders a bit better and they could ramp up the number of people they have handling the phones, etc - basically they could portray the "look, we know now is not the best time for us or for a lot of people and we are ok with you not coming now, but we really want you back in the future"

It's definitely not "no one is willing to go" but it is a reduction from "normal" - obviously one data point but there was that survey that said 72% are not willing to visit a theme park. If that remaining 28% is now your available pool and those people have to be willing to travel to Florida and pay the price for Disney with a reduced experience (even if they add some discounts it's still not cheap ... Even Universal with their programs is not cheap, it is a chunk of $ to spend) - add in uncertainty around the economy, travel restrictions to/from a lot of states, etc ....

With all that I can understand Disney saying that there are k my so many people we will get in the doors no matter what we do, and better to cut expenses and just make what we can off those still willing to come

Now, I do think Disney could treat the passholders a bit better and they could ramp up the number of people they have handling the phones, etc - basically they could portray the "look, we know now is not the best time for us or for a lot of people and we are ok with you not coming now, but we really want you back in the future"

I know its been shared all over this board, but they have shocked me with their AP response. Shocked. Not in a good way.

They've gone the "we know you'll be back one day" way instead of the "we hope you'll be back one day".

Basically saying "see ya real soon" in a creepy and menacing way.

I know its been shared all over this board, but they have shocked me with their AP response. Shocked. Not in a good way.

They've gone the "we know you'll be back one day" way instead of the "we hope you'll be back one day".

Yeah, and I can even understand basically putting out there "look, it's probably best for everyone if you don't come now" - but then let people pause their passes, again have more people handling the phones so you don't have to wait 4 hours to reach someone to cancel, etc .... like you said, make it so that you feel like they want you back at a later date even if not right now

Yeah, and I can even understand basically putting out there "look, it's probably best for everyone if you don't come now" - but then let people pause their passes, again have more people handling the phones so you don't have to wait 4 hours to reach someone to cancel, etc .... like you said, make it so that you feel like they want you back at a later date even if not right now

Yeah they said good luck cancelling and we'll send you what we send you.

Basically "don't let the door..."

I'm not denying less people are going, definitely. And I think a lot of that (outside quarantine issues obviously) is Disney's doing with closed resorts, cut hrs, cut entertainment but same prices. Sure we understand why, but it's still stings.

I'm just not in the camp of people are going to stay away for as long as others are suggesting.
Yes some will due to economy, their own reasons due to Covid, but if miraculously Disney brings back some hrs, some hopping, some entertainment - people may keep future bookings and others may book in the future. Or if they offered the deal of the century!!!

Don't speak in absolutes. There are people going to WDW and there are DEFINITELY people waiting/wanting to go. But I agree, it seems like Disney is doing everything it can to keep people away.

I know everyone judges by what's going on in their corner of the world. In my corner, people are OUT. People are going places, people are visiting each other, people are having backyard get togethers, people are in parks, people are in the restaurants/outside in the restaurants and bars, people are starting go on smaller trips.
I know people who run a cat sitting business (visit the cats while people are away) and business is BOOMING!

People are doing their thing. With masks on, but the city is moving again. I just think most people who are starting to do things again aren't broadcasting it all over the place because they will get shamed.

First, I think it's obvious people want to go, and people are going. It's a figure of speech, it means a vast majority of people don't want to go.

I'm judging the economy by the underlying facts of shrinking GDP, double digit unemployment, airlines needing to bailed out. But whatever.

NEWS:

AMC reopening theaters. I just got an email from AMC, this is part of it:
Looks like all of ours in our market are reopening. 8 total with 1 of those being outside of our metro.

5 are on 8/20
2 on 8/27
1 on 9/3

There's a mixture of types, with Dine-In, regular seating, recliner seating, etc so that will be interesting with the experience and social distancing they talk about on their webpage.

First, I think it's obvious people want to go, and people are going. It's a figure of speech, it means a vast majority of people don't want to go.

I'm judging the economy by the underlying facts of shrinking GDP, double digit unemployment, airlines needing to bailed out. But whatever.

No need to be dismissive.

Not everything is as black and white as you are laying it out there. Obviously not as many people will be back for probably a couple years, but it won't look the way it does now. They will have more people, start turning profits.

For some reason your post got me thinking of the big tobacco companies. Knowing that their customers are (or were) addicted to their product.
Is there a parallel here?

For some reason your post got me thinking of the big tobacco companies. Knowing that their customers are (or were) addicted to their product.
Is there a parallel here?

No, I think that's a bit extreme to compare the WDW product to something that gives you cancer.

It's a cold business decision regarding operational costs, liability and risk. APs going to the parks don't spend a lot of money and they increase crowds. Crowds are a liability and a risk.

Doesn't make it right, but that's probably part of their thinking.

Looks like all of ours in our market are reopening. 8 total with 1 of those being outside of our metro.

5 are on 8/20
2 on 8/27
1 on 9/3

There's a mixture of types, with Dine-In, regular seating, recliner seating, etc so that will be interesting with the experience and social distancing they talk about on their webpage.

B&B has been open for a while. We've gone.

Masks are required in public places. Like the concession stand and bathrooms and lobby. In the theaters, they have so many seats blocked off so no one is sitting next to you or in front or behind. But you are not required to keep your mask on while seated.

We went to see Empire Strikes Back. Felt very safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter