News Round Up 2020

It makes perfect sense with the data they have. More than likely they've found that a lot more people are willing to drive from neighboring states than fly from a fair distance. I am sure it's been a analysis done that they are more likely to tempt people from nearby than far away.
Thing is, what does it hurt to go further away????? I will tell you, nothing. As long as they are confident in their safety precautions, not a thing. Yeah, not many will come from farther away, but why exclude them when you are reading stories about the furloughed employees standing in free food lines? My biggest beef is they won't let me (as of now)buy an annual pass before our December trip because I planned to visit 3 times in the following 12 months and that is the only thing that would actually qualify me for any discounts on my December trip. I am willing to pay for it right now. But they won't let me.

Thing is, what does it hurt to go further away????? I will tell you, nothing. As long as they are confident in their safety precautions, not a thing. Yeah, not many will come from farther away, but why exclude them when you are reading stories about the furloughed employees standing in free food lines? My biggest beef is they won't let me (as of now)buy an annual pass before our December trip because I planned to visit 3 times in the following 12 months and that is the only thing that would actually qualify me for any discounts on my December trip. I am willing to pay for it right now. But they won't let me.
But those that are willing to come from further away, will still come, and Disney will get more money out of them. They’re trying to entice people that are closer and are on the fence about going to say “eh why not, let’s go.”

I think Disney should take all the lights from The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights (they still have them right?) and create some sort of drive through thing. Sell tickets for $50/car and donate to some worthy cause.

I think Disney should take all the lights from The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights (they still have them right?) and create some sort of drive through thing. Sell tickets for $50/car and donate to some worthy cause.
They do not have them any more.

They returned them to the Osborne family I believe.

I get the complaint - but targeting a discount to certain people is about getting them to come when they weren't going to come. Likely they determined that people from outside that radius weren't going to come with a discount, and those that were would come anyways - so why discount them.

Your complaint about APs is a whole different kettle and very, very valid. We use APs to reduce costs on multiple trips across a 12 month period (or for this year a 16 month period). I do not understand the logic of not selling APs. They've complained that the # of AP holders in the parks are very high right now, but reducing the number of APs will just result in reducing the number of people in the parks even further. Sure AP holders don't spend as much as tourist, but they're spending something - why wouldn't they want them there?

I get the complaint - but targeting a discount to certain people is about getting them to come when they weren't going to come. Likely they determined that people from outside that radius weren't going to come with a discount, and those that were would come anyways - so why discount them.

I full agree that this is why targeting that group (I know a lot of people near where I live (NYC area) that it isn't price that is keeping them away it is just being unwilling to travel (either that far or specifically to Florida)

but on the flip side, what would be the negative of offering it to everyone? Either people use it or not. I guess the two things are
- majority of those from further away would come anyway so they maximize revenue by having slightly fewer people spending more per person
- worried about a PR hit of pushing for people from states that have travel restrictions to come

I full agree that this is why targeting that group (I know a lot of people near where I live (NYC area) that it isn't price that is keeping them away it is just being unwilling to travel (either that far or specifically to Florida)

but on the flip side, what would be the negative of offering it to everyone? Either people use it or not. I guess the two things are
- majority of those from further away would come anyway so they maximize revenue by having slightly fewer people spending more per person
- worried about a PR hit of pushing for people from states that have travel restrictions to come

Exactly, offering discounts to people that don't need them to come doesn't make financial sense for them. I'm sure that's the feeling. (A) most people won't come from farther and (B) those that do don't need this incentive.

But I agree - why not offer to everyone. But on the other hand - some people might also go if they think it is a targeted special. It's the same as getting a Disney code in your e-mail. "OH I get a discount special for me! Let's go!"

Your complaint about APs is a whole different kettle and very, very valid. We use APs to reduce costs on multiple trips across a 12 month period (or for this year a 16 month period). I do not understand the logic of not selling APs. They've complained that the # of AP holders in the parks are very high right now, but reducing the number of APs will just result in reducing the number of people in the parks even further. Sure AP holders don't spend as much as tourist, but they're spending something - why wouldn't they want them there?
I guess their focus is getting butts in the resorts .. and Disney feels (whether it is true or not) that a majority of people aren't coming right now because they are afraid to fly due to the virus. So, they are targeting people close enough to drive in a day or two (I guess about 600-800 miles). Many have said (myself included) we'd be willing to drive over flying right now.

The problem is, it seems a lot of people are also staying away due to the perceived less value they are getting AT the parks (not the resorts). Reduced hours, restricted capacity, wearing masks, closed attractions and restaurants. That is probably keeping just as many people away as the fear of the virus is.

I guess Disney needs to find what will attract regional families to the parks in the coming months? A resort discount (where they would prefer their guests) or a ticket discount of some sort (like Universal is trying (buy 2, get two free).

For most of us here, discounts (of any type) will help us brave the virus because we are huge WDW fans. But for the more casual fans (probably the majority of Disney's guests), not sure if anything but a move back to "normal" will help draw them back.

I am sure there is all sorts of creative marketing Disney could do to draw people back to the parks, but it just seems like they feel they don't need to do it yet (or aren't ready to yet).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter