• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2020

Not sure how newsworthy this is, but I’m here now and was at Springs today (was last at Springs middle of December). In the Co-op shops, the dress shop and the art store have switched locations within the little mall setup. The underground art shop is now in the biggest section of the store and the dress shop was moved to a smaller space.

Also, in Epcot, the innoventions west building where the Coke experience and nice cool walkway and bathrooms is torn down to the metal structure. Looks like a skeleton standing there.

Not sure how newsworthy this is, but I’m here now and was at Springs today (was last at Springs middle of December). In the Co-op shops, the dress shop and the art store have switched locations within the little mall setup. The underground art shop is now in the biggest section of the store and the dress shop was moved to a smaller space.

Also, in Epcot, the innoventions west building where the Coke experience and nice cool walkway and bathrooms is torn down to the metal structure. Looks like a skeleton standing there.
That is weird they moved the dress shop, it was always busy when we were there, can't imagine moving it to a smaller location will help sells. Maybe it's because you can now buy the dresses in the parks (but not easily try them on).

I *think* I saw that info a while ago on the Dress Shop thread. It was kinda a weird shift IMO

I was just there and felt VERY claustrophobic. I will not be going during New Years again anytime soon.
We were there from Dec 22nd until Jan 1st. It was crowded, but the worse day was Dec. 31st. To give you an idea, all of our days had Fp's starting around noon. Routinely at every park we were refreshing and getting anywhere from 7-10 total fp's (even FOP and SDD, but never 7DMT). That is all except the 31st.
I've been 4th of July, presidents day week, Thanksgiving and now Christmas and new year's. Only missing Easter. My rankings from heaviest to lightest would be 1) New Years, 2) 4th of July, 3)Christmas 4) Thanksgiving/presidents day pretty close.

I think the complaints about light crowds are coming from crowd levels during other times of the year.

We were there from Dec 22nd until Jan 1st. It was crowded, but the worse day was Dec. 31st. To give you an idea, all of our days had Fp's starting around noon. Routinely at every park we were refreshing and getting anywhere from 7-10 total fp's (even FOP and SDD, but never 7DMT). That is all except the 31st.
I've been 4th of July, presidents day week, Thanksgiving and now Christmas and new year's. Only missing Easter. My rankings from heaviest to lightest would be 1) New Years, 2) 4th of July, 3)Christmas 4) Thanksgiving/presidents day pretty close.

I think the complaints about light crowds are coming from crowd levels during other times of the year.

I think it is fluid. Thanksgiving 2017 was a breeze. 2019 it was chaos. I thought July 4th at MK was better besides the hub itself before fireworks.
Or maybe my tolerance is shot now. I don’t really know but for crowds to overwhelm me it has to be bad.
People think discounts always mean bookings are down, but Disney always has a discount available. Some are better than others, but there is always something out there.

We were there Jan 3-4 (first days not blocked out for Gold AP) and crowds were higher than any of our Thanksgiving or July 4th trips. We had real 30 minute waits for People mover and Laugh Floor. I saw CoP so full that all the seats were taken and some had to wait for the next turn! Of course major rides were stupid long too, but these were more surprising to me. Jan 4th had rain to dampen the crowds, but the 3rd at MK was easily one of the highest crowd days I have ever experienced. We still had fun, though I was glad the newbies we invited were not able to make it this trip. Definitely not for the faint of heart!

We had unlimited fast passes, and even with them, on the 12/31 my kids lasted 2 hours at MK before they’d had enough and came back to Bay Lake Tower.

I think it is fluid. Thanksgiving 2017 was a breeze. 2019 it was chaos. I thought July 4th at MK was better besides the hub itself before fireworks.
Or maybe my tolerance is shot now. I don’t really know but for crowds to overwhelm me it has to be bad.
People think discounts always mean bookings are down, but Disney always has a discount available. Some are better than others, but there is always something out there.
We felt similarly in November. Third visit in what had been our new "favorite week" and this past 2019 was pretty bad that week. I was reviewing older pics from the previous two November trips and the head counts were very low compared to what I see in this most recent trip. Like you, maybe my tolerance is shrinking, but I do think this time it was much busier than previous years in the same week. Like someone discovered our little secret week and now we need to find something different! haha!

That is true about there seemingly being always some sort of discount going on - I think Disney likes to have those commercials where the one partner tells the other after looking at the computer that they can do a Disney trip for way less money than they expected with a tag line of "now the magic is even closer - a family of 4 can call me for 4 nights and 5 days for only $1,600!"* So that is seems like a trip is within reach for everyone

(*Then the fine print that there is one package at that price and anything realistic for you to be able to book will be more than that - but feel free to try!)

When does anyone think we'll hear of more extended refurbishment of rides, especially now that the 50th is getting closer? I'm wondering if AK is going to have a biggie soon...

When does anyone think we'll hear of more extended refurbishment of rides, especially now that the 50th is getting closer? I'm wondering if AK is going to have a biggie soon...
There was a rumor floating around last year that they’d do an extended refurb on EE, but since then silence. AK can’t really afford to lose two rides at once so I’m betting at this point they’d replace PW before an extended refurb on anything.

There was a rumor floating around last year that they’d do an extended refurb on EE, but since then silence. AK can’t really afford to lose two rides at once so I’m betting at this point they’d replace PW before an extended refurb on anything.

Makes sense.

I wonder if Haunted Mansion will get some spiffing up before the big party, or Small World.

I'm nervous to see how many rides are down for my May 2021 trip so they are all in good shape for celebration! But at least I'll have Galaxy's Edge, Toy Story Land, the Railway and Ratatouille to look forward too. We haven't even seen Slinky Dog yet!

I keep reading about how there are lack of crowds, attendance being down at WDW. I have a Sister in Law who has gone every X Mas time for last 5 years. She just got back from her yearly trip and said the crowds were as great or greater than she could ever remember. Mentioned that there were a couple of days that were so big she felt claustrophobic (again coming from someone has been there every year for last 5 years). Now this is just one persons observation, but someone I trust to give me a good idea of what was going on. It will be interesting to see what the official Disney attendance is when they announce their next quarterly results. Just take the comments about lower attendance with a grain of salt.
Honestly, I think the lower crowds should have been expected by Disney.
Half the parks are nothing but construction walls, they didn't launch with a fully fleshed out Star Wars land, and it hurt their opening. By all reports I have seen the crowds were at equal or better to other holiday seasons, so maybe the shift will hit and more folks will go.

Me personally, I won't venture to WDW again til post all the Epcot, MK and DHS work is done. Probably not even for the 50th so crowds are reduced.

So I watched Togo on D+ on Saturday and now I am getting all kinds of PETA against dog sledding advertisements. Just if there was any doubt that Disney is looking to make a buck off of your watching habits in any way they can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter