News Round Up 2020

Not started really but half of Innoventions West is gone.

I was gonna say....Future World is all but gone!!! What are they going to do with all the empty buildings, just leave them?

Blech. I'm just going enter/exit through World Showcase and put blinders on to run to any rides in Future World I want to go on! :D

Here's another thing I've been thinking about, how is international travel going to change? Will the government even allow international visitors before a vaccine? Will they require vaccination records and/or a quarantine period for all visitors? All of it's going to be very interesting to watch to say the least.
This is what feels even more of an unknown. I was planning to be in Orlando for 4 weeks starting mid April. But.... Right now where I live the airports are closed through at Least April 30th other than a few one way repatriate flights scheduled this week. Those who live here can only return if they sign a form with the government that if found to have the virus, they are responsible for all costs of treating it and all costs of anyone who gets it from you. Can't imagine that will work in the US. So now my trip is looking like on hold for a very long time not just that I can't go to Disney, even if I have way to come, I can not easily return home. I image international travel will go through some big changes at least for the rest of 2020.

Think they will release Artemis Fowl to D+ soon?

haven't seen any indication about anything that hasn't gotten to theaters yet being released digitally instead/at same time so who knows. But we are less than a month out from it's release date so gotta figure some news about it soon - at least pushing back the release date

haven't seen any indication about anything that hasn't gotten to theaters yet being released digitally instead/at same time so who knows. But we are less than a month out from it's release date so gotta figure some news about it soon - at least pushing back the release date
I wouldn't really be surprised either way, honestly. I don't think they're expecting to make much money off of it, so it could go to Disney+. Or I could see them pushing it out to theaters when they start to reopen, as it seems like business will be a bit slow as people re-emerge anyways.

I wouldn't really be surprised either way, honestly. I don't think they're expecting to make much money off of it, so it could go to Disney+. Or I could see them pushing it out to theaters when they start to reopen, as it seems like business will be a bit slow as people re-emerge anyways.
I think holding it off may be a bad call and they may be evaluating that. The hype will be gone, the public won't be ready to come back to theaters en masse ..they will start to conflict with other theatre releases, etc.

May depend how Onward is doing .. like how many people bought it this past week .. how many people will newly subscribe to D+ to see it .. etc.

Also may depend on how Trolls World Tour does by releasing direct to digital.

That one I can see them finishing as it was supposed to open rather soon anyways. It’s also not a huge massive addition like a land or significant attraction.
That’s another interesting discussion. I would think Disney wants to sell more DVC to get cash on hand. At the same time though it would likely be a slow sell because people won’t have the extra cash to buy in.

Was going to make these exact same comments about Space 220 and Reflections. Except I think that the DVC customer is generally working in fields that are less impacted. It's about $21K to buy a low-season weeks worth of Riviera points for a regular studio.

Maybe, I think a lot depends on how long this closure is. Let’s say they open June 1st. I could see Space 220 opening in the fall.

IIRC, Space 220 is basically complete, but they had a problem with the giant projection screen and needed a new one. I was made to understand (third hand mind you) that the restaurant basically needed the screen dropped in and then it's just roll out the carpet, tables, and chairs. Is that not correct?

Things that will get be cancelled or are on very very long hold at Epcot: Marry Poppins, the crazy festival deck thing, the redo of Spaceship Earth, any new rumored countries, and the play pavilion.

Things that will be completed: A scaled down center spine, Space 220, GotG, Ratatouille, the Mona walk through, and Harmonious.

IIRC, Space 220 is basically complete, but they had a problem with the giant projection screen and needed a new one. I was made to understand (third hand mind you) that the restaurant basically needed the screen dropped in and then it's just roll out the carpet, tables, and chairs. Is that not correct?
Yes that is my understanding as well. Rather I heard it was a custom piece of glass that was broke in the process and needed to be reordered. I am not sure if that had happened prior to all of this. So if that piece of glass (or screen) has been delayed in production that could push it back further. It all really depends on when the park reopens but yeah I don't see Space 220 just being scrapped.

Things that will get be cancelled or are on very very long hold at Epcot: Marry Poppins, the crazy festival deck thing, the redo of Spaceship Earth, any new rumored countries, and the play pavilion.

Things that will be completed: A scaled down center spine, Space 220, GotG, Ratatouille, the Mona walk through, and Harmonious.
Any new countries (mainly Brazil) were very troubled long before this anyways so I wouldn't even include that in this. One thing I see in the mid-future and not too long delayed would be the Play Pavilion. A lot of work has already been done to WoL and permits had been filed for some show set installations and stuff like that.

Any new countries (mainly Brazil) were very troubled long before this anyways so I wouldn't even include that in this. One thing I see in the mid-future and not too long delayed would be the Play Pavilion. A lot of work has already been done to WoL and permits had been filed for some show set installations and stuff like that.

I hope PP gets completed! I feel like if they can mange that the project is still getting "mostly" done.

movie releases are about to get really interesting. You have SO many projects on hold, which eventually will create a void for releasing (friends In film & TV music telling me about it). If they release too much, there will be nothing before too long.

We all knew cuts were coming, doesn’t make it less jarring to hear projects being defunded.

movie releases are about to get really interesting. You have SO many projects on hold, which eventually will create a void for releasing (friends In film & TV music telling me about it). If they release too much, there will be nothing before too long.

We all knew cuts were coming, doesn’t make it less jarring to hear projects being defunded.

Studios are waiting to see how long the stay at home recommendations are in place. And the theaters closed of course. If they stay in place a long time we will see more first-run movies released digitally. Maybe not the big blockbusters, but some smaller projects for sure.

What's really interesting is that DVC availability for the rest of the year is pretty much booked. Granted, DVC fills up quickly and people are rescheduling cancelled trips, but usually you can find 2 or 3 bedrooms, or cabins, or grand villas. Those seem to be gone. So where as many people may be cancelling altogether because of money or health concerns, there seem to be many choosing to try to come back. It will be very interesting with today's announcement to see what it is we all come back to.
This might just reflect the fact that DVC owners can book/cancel much more easily than cash reservations because its just about having the points. And with the way DVC is handling cancellations due to the virus there is really no downside to making the reservation.

A separate yet connected issue for DVC is going to be how do they handle the extra points that aren't used from March through whenever they open. There will be a surplus of points and no where near enough availability. It's going to lead to a lot of pretty ornery DVC owners who can't use their points.

Just re-reading the BlogMickey post and when it says something is "defunded" it seems pretty clear that what they mean by that is that they fired (suspended? Furloughed?) the contractors working on the projects. It doesn't say anything about the support teams at TDO or Imagineering. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but in general I take that to mean delays, not cuts (for now).

Just re-reading the BlogMickey post and when it says something is "defunded" it seems pretty clear that what they mean by that is that they fired (suspended? Furloughed?) the contractors working on the projects. It doesn't say anything about the support teams at TDO or Imagineering. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but in general I take that to mean delays, not cuts (for now).
Pretty much although I can speak a little bit to what's happening with WDI, many are working from home of course and many aren't doing much of anything. Your people like Joe Rohde will always be involved in some of the larger discussions taking place but lower level Imagineers are almost essentially laid off. As in that Blog Mickey article even Buena Vista Construction, the in house construction and maintenance company in WDW is being suspended/laid off essentially.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter