News Round Up 2020

Peoplemover tracks are still up at DLR, Primevial Whirl now, the old gondola stations were left up for many years at MK...not quite the same but entire buildings at Epcot have been neglected for many years and even used in a state of neglect (the former festival center before they repainted and touched up inside).
None of them have a prime spot like the speedway. Like I said, no way it sits unused gathering dust.

My husband thought he might not feel comfortable at his over 6ft 5inch height but he did fine and actually thought it was a cute attraction.

But in COVID-era even with strict low capacity being in a confined space much less small confined space won't seem like the best idea. I think people will go on it given the choice but will it be enough to warrant running the ride not sure much less will that be the best ride to run versus letting it sit closed for a while.

Physically I was fine, I just had a moment of panic getting in the thing because it's so small in there. It's the only ride I've ever felt claustrophobic in.

Physically I was fine, I just had a moment of panic getting in the thing because it's so small in there. It's the only ride I've ever felt claustrophobic in.
I can totally see it. I remember the first time I rode Mission Space and I felt that way too. I normally don't get that way but every so often it can hit me.

What outdoor, in plain view attraction has Disney had a history of leaving abandoned and gathering dust?
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea comes to mind.
.. others are abandoned but in an LARGE buildings, so they don't stick out (Stitch, Wonders of Life)

Just curious as to when you were looking at booking that for Pop. It was about $150/night for next week when I booked a few days ago, I got it for $112/night with my AP discount. Huge part of the reason I decided to book a last minute trip, way less than what I paid last year and earlier this year. I know it definitely varies in price throughout the year though.
We were looking for early Aug and it was 195-200 range. We don’t have an active AP right now so we decided to go to Gatlinburg/Smoky Mountains/Dollywood instead. If they would have had a general public discount we probably would’ve went to WDW.

We were looking for early Aug and it was 195-200 range. We don’t have an active AP right now so we decided to go to Gatlinburg/Smoky Mountains/Dollywood instead. If they would have had a general public discount we probably would’ve went to WDW.
Nice! I love that area. I was supposed to be flying to Tanzania this weekend for a 2.5 week trip. Not happening because I can't fly through Europe, otherwise I would still be going. I guess WDW will have to do for now 😉

None of them have a prime spot like the speedway. Like I said, no way it sits unused gathering dust.

I hope you are right. While they aren't my favorite, letting them sit would be a tragic waste.

However, I wouldn't put it past them. If anything we could see a reprise of a cheap playground put on top like what they did to 20000 leagues.

This one would be harder to hide than 20000 leagues was, given the water. For that reason alone I think they keep it around until they are ready to at least set up a temporary thing on top of it.

BTW, is there some legit rumor/report of the speedway not running?

They did just do work to shorten the track to enable it to work with the Team construction so I assume they intend for it to be around for a while

BTW, is there some legit rumor/report of the speedway not running?

They did just do work to shorten the track to enable it to work with the Team construction so I assume they intend for it to be around for a while
No, just some speculation and possibly some want....but as you say they just spent a little money on it and the kids still love it so I expect it will stay. I would prefer electric futuristic concept car types myself.

No, just some speculation and possibly some want....but as you say they just spent a little money on it and the kids still love it so I expect it will stay. I would prefer electric futuristic concept car types myself.

I am of the same mind - make them electric and it improves the smell and noice and make the styling fit with the Tron backdrop and then I think it is a much improved overall experience

I am of the same mind - make them electric and it improves the smell and noice and make the styling fit with the Tron backdrop and then I think it is a much improved overall experience
What's ironic is my twins are 27 now and the last time I rode it was probably when they were like 6? December trip coming up and my little grandtinker will be close to 5 so I might ride it again after all these years. Hope we don't get lost with the new course itinerary. pirate:

I had just missed my opportunity the last time when they increased from 75 to 100, so we decided not to purchase at all. We just put in an offer for a small contract through resale and now I’m regretting it. This might push me to get 100 points direct.

And this is why they do it. If it only get a few hundred people to buy it's worth it to them - regardless of how it hurts long-term sales.

And this is why they do it. If it only get a few hundred people to buy it's worth it to them - regardless of how it hurts long-term sales.
Disney should, by that logic, start selling APs again .. and then announce the price is going up a month later. :) .. they would sell tons in short order despite the uncertainty.

Disney should, by that logic, start selling APs again .. and then announce the price is going up a month later. :) .. they would sell tons in short order despite the uncertainty.
I don’t know if they would. They just had to refund a bunch of money on APs and they may be worried about what the repercussions would be should they have to close a park or 2 in the next few months. Would they then have to refund even more money. I can’t see them selling APs until 2021 at the earliest. Renewal is the only way to get them currently. I’m in my renewal window now and had been going back and forth on whether to do it, but with the DVC discount I’m going to pull the trigger just so we can have them.

Wouldn't the comp be them announcing that AP sales would start but at an increased price?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter