News Round Up 2020

For entertainment like the orchestra, it is probably almost impossible for their value to be quantified. Short of doing some testing on drink sales in the lobby when they are playing or not, it would be hard to get their value to the guest experience on a spreadsheet. For things like rides, parades, and dance parties you can calculate how many people per hour are using that entertainment (or whatever metric they use, I would assume there are many). As the world is becoming increasing analytics driven, having things that you can't quantify is hard to justify.

I would imagine with the current financial environment anything that can't show a positive ROI is getting a hard look at right now.

I have only ever stayed at the Grand Floridan once, and I did really enjoy the Orchestra. The GF is probably my favorite hotel I have ever stayed in, Disney or otherwise. I'm not sure if the orchestra decision will impact my decision to stay there again or not. My wife never wants to stay there again purely for cost reasons (she would do All stars every time as her focus is park experiences, I enjoy the hotel experiences much more than she does), I have been saving pennies for our next trip which is likely 2023 at this point with the intent of staying at one of the monorail resorts, my preference was the GF, but this could help push me to another resort.

This site loves to always consider the glass half empty - what about the billions that have been poured into the resort over the last 5-10 years - from Fantasy Land to TS land to GE and many more.
The entertainment is what makes Disney different and they have been cutting a lot of that lately. My fear now is that like the previous poster said is that if the ROI isn't there it will be cut.

It kinda feels like they are phasing out any stop and sit non theater entertainment. If you stop to talk to a street cast person you are unlikely to be moving past one of the many food, toy or memorabilia shops, you also aren’t in line for any of the many rides that exit through a gift shop. Essentially the street cast limits the time you can be enticed to spend your money. Honestly the only street cast I feel that prob isn’t on the chopping block is the dapper dans and the Star Wars characters because they just opened galaxy edge in the past couple of years. I think the days of finding the royal tailors is gone as well as any of the Hollywood cast.

Disney doesn’t seem to care if those pluses is what made them special and unique, now with how they have saturated the global market with their brand, they know they will get people coming in droves even if it’s for less than it was

It kinda feels like they are phasing out any stop and sit non theater entertainment. If you stop to talk to a street cast person you are unlikely to be moving past one of the many food, toy or memorabilia shops, you also aren’t in line for any of the many rides that exit through a gift shop. Essentially the street cast limits the time you can be enticed to spend your money. Honestly the only street cast I feel that prob isn’t on the chopping block is the dapper dans and the Star Wars characters because they just opened galaxy edge in the past couple of years. I think the days of finding the royal tailors is gone as well as any of the Hollywood cast.

Disney doesn’t seem to care if those pluses is what made them special and unique, now with how they have saturated the global market with their brand, they know they will get people coming in droves even if it’s for less than it was
Or else they understand the times we are living in right now and know they cant have people stop and congregate. If those times change, they will hire people and acts back.

What are you referring too? I was there in January and don’t recall anything.
I have pictures of acrobats and dancers in Africa from the first week of January. They were amazing. They started in their old spot but used a drum to lead people over to the area where that lion king mural is now.

EDIT: here is the link of some from my instagram lol (3rd picture)

I have pictures of acrobats and dancers in Africa from the first week of January. They were amazing. They started in their old spot but used a drum to lead people over to the area where that lion king mural is now.

EDIT: here is the link of some from my instagram lol (3rd picture)
Ah okay. They are in Africa. The poster listed acrobats in Asia. I was thinking I don't remember anything in Asia.

Also arent the acrobats still at AK? They were there in January...

They were there until the shutdown. I don’t remember if they are on the long list of entertainment that has been laid off. There was a bunch laid off before the parks reopened. They are not there now. No stationary street entertainment anywhere. Two street acts at Epcot are performing in the America theatre.

I think it's very hard to criticize Disney right now for cutting things like this - we don't know for sure if they might bring them back again after the park is back to full function. There's a lot of things right now not running that will hopefully be back.

We all know cutting "street" entertainment has been a yearly event. I suspect Covid simply sped it up. As the parks got more crowded it just became harder and harder to have that entertainment and still keep people flowing. Plus specialty employees are expensive. So the investments went into "places to be" like rides. And yes, they've added a ton.

I expect some streetmosphere entertainment will be added back after Covid, but probably not as much as "Disney" people would like. I also suspect that the vast majority of Disney visitors won't notice. They mostly want rides and formal shows anyway. I will miss some of it. I certainly miss the nighttime parade. But a lot I won't notice. For example I was never a big Citizens of Hollywood guy and I hated being crushed by crowds on Main Street when some entertainment appeared.

For me, the street performers were fun, but only after I had accomplished what I wanted to get done at that time of day - otherwise, I still enjoyed the background music or banter as I was on my way somewhere.

I seldom stopped for a performance longer than a few minutes, with the exception of the Ivy-lady in AK. I could watch her all day!

I also enjoyed the mimes and the living statues in Epcot - usually watched while sipping an adult beverage. But Epcot showcase is that kind of place - somewhere to linger over a performance. And I liked hearing the drummers or the Off-Kilter guys while I was moving through. Never liked the huge crowds that formed in the walkways though for something like the Moroccan dancers.

I sure hope some of these folks come back.... It just adds a unique flavor to the whole Disney experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter