News Round Up 2020

Alcohol off property is cheap. If you’re staying on property and can either walk, or take Disney transportation to the parks, it’s pretty cheap to have a buzz in the parks. Usually I stay at BCV the day(s) I go to Epcot/DHS so we’ll have a couple drinks in the room, or at SAB and then walk over. I’ve never been Alex Morgan drunk at Epcot, but I have enough of a buzz that doesn’t force me to buy many beverages while inside the park. I’m typically only a fan of the options in China, Japan Germany, and Norway anyway.
There's always plastic water bottles with your favorite clear product in it. Just buy the mixers....

There's always plastic water bottles with your favorite clear product in it. Just buy the mixers....
I'm constantly surprised at the number of people on this board that have to be hammered to have a good time at the "the most magical place on Earth". Last we visited EPCOT after dark, the "drinking around the world" was so bad, we thought we were on Canal Street in New Orleans. It's turned EPCOT from being my second favorite part to being my fourth.

I’m not exactly sure what to make of this comment. I’m certainly not saying I got blacked out or whatever. We have a post marathon tradition with my friends every year to do a drink around the world as our celebration of our races. I’m also a college aged kid.
See my previous comment, Ryan. College aged kid does not equal getting drunk at every opportunity. I had hoped you'd be one that didn't continue that stereotype.

I'm constantly surprised at the number of people on this board that have to be hammered to have a good time at the "the most magical place on Earth". Last we visited EPCOT after dark, the "drinking around the world" was so bad, we thought we were on Canal Street in New Orleans. It's turned EPCOT from being my second favorite part to being my fourth.

Canal Street? :rotfl2:

I’m not exactly sure what to make of this comment. I’m certainly not saying I got blacked out or whatever. We have a post marathon tradition with my friends every year to do a drink around the world as our celebration of our races. I’m also a college aged kid.

The drinks are strong in certain places. I don't drink regularly and one Grey Goose slush can make me light headed.

See my previous comment, Ryan. College aged kid does not equal getting drunk at every opportunity. I had hoped you'd be one that didn't continue that stereotype.
One of the things I quickly found out on the DL side of the DIS when I was looking into planning for one is that some people see a drink in someone's hand and assume they are a sloppy drunkard and I understood it to be related to preserving DL for what it was. I stopped going over to some of those threads because it was incredibly judgy and incorrect by their one second assertation into someone's life. I mean I understand the image of seeing drunk people all around especially during Food & Wine at WDW just as much as it is at DL is a hot topic here on the DIS but I sorta think it's different discussing that as a general compliant and discussing it as part of someone's personal choice so maybe we shouldn't be so harsh here :flower3:

Last we visited EPCOT after dark, the "drinking around the world" was so bad, we thought we were on Canal Street in New Orleans. It's turned EPCOT from being my second favorite part to being my fourth.

Personally, I think Frenchmen Street in NOLA can hold a candle to Canal Street, but is far less touristy. I have no issues with EPCOT and folks that drink; it does not effect my ratings.

The magic bands did (or possible still do) have a battery. It's a non-rechargeable coin cell CR1620 lithium battery.
Yes, I phrased that portion of my response wrong. The battery is in there. But that’s only to power the distance portions of the band. The touch point aspects are powered by passive electricity. Every time you touch it to a touch point, they get a bit of a charge.

Universal and Nintendo did amazing work here

This land looks absolutely incredible and the interactive elements look awesome! I love how the land has the aspect of exploration and the kinetic energy makes it feel so lively! The only thing I worry about is some of the areas especially the entrance warp pipe, peach castle and the underground level area look very tight.

Personally, I think your comment is out of line. And just plain ridiculous to say about him. He's a moderator on a rumors/new forum on a Disney board, we're not kids at Church camp here. None of us are looking to him or expecting him to set some kind of example for us on how to behave at Epcot...

Outside of one time of getting what I would say "drunk", mostly we just enjoy a cocktail or two, a glass of wine or two, whatever. It is expensive there.

I've never encountered these roving groups of crazy drunks and we were there during Food/Wine (on weekends) a few times. I think sometimes people (some, not all) confuse laughing loudly and having fun for being "wasted". :D

Last edited:
And let's refocus on DISNEY
I do think the discussion is fair though. There are times when Epcot can be a bit more rowdy than others. I think the moral of the story is it’s okay to have fun and enjoy yourself but also be courteous of others. Disney isn’t exactly the place to be a sloppy drunk or something. We also don’t have much news to focus on. The end of the year typically is a slow period for news.

My one and only time of actually encountering the real (not just loud) drunks was during the one and only time we were there at Food and Wine... not only were they very loud, (swearing continuously), obnoxiously drunk, there were several strollers in the group, with small children.

I am NOT saying everyone who drinks a couple drinks are evil people, nor the folks who can have a good time without affecting others around them. I do love my Grey Goose slushie! But one is plenty for me, or I too will need a nap!

My biggest complaint is that one of the groups we encountered was so loud and obnoxious (in the Rose & Crown Pub) that we couldn't even hear the server, or each other as we tried to dine, and Disney security folks just kept circling without intervening in any way - like just their presence would matter at all to the unruly crowd. We ate quickly, and left Epcot altogether.

When one groups' "FUN" encroaches on other people who have paid just as much to be there, that is not right, and should be dealt with.

My one and only time of actually encountering the real (not just loud) drunks was during the one and only time we were there at Food and Wine... not only were they very loud, (swearing continuously), obnoxiously drunk, there were several strollers in the group, with small children.

I am NOT saying everyone who drinks a couple drinks are evil people, nor the folks who can have a good time without affecting others around them. I do love my Grey Goose slushie! But one is plenty for me, or I too will need a nap!

My biggest complaint is that one of the groups we encountered was so loud and obnoxious (in the Rose & Crown Pub) that we couldn't even hear the server, or each other as we tried to dine, and Disney security folks just kept circling without intervening in any way - like just their presence would matter at all to the unruly crowd. We ate quickly, and left Epcot altogether.

When one groups' "FUN" encroaches on other people who have paid just as much to be there, that is not right, and should be dealt with.

I don't think anyone would disagree with your post. Of course they should be dealt with.

When my Italian family goes out to dinner, there are a 14 of us in immediate, I bet people who aren't used to "louder" families think we are drunk. :D
There is wine being drunk, but I promise we aren't drunk. We just talk over each other and laugh a lot. Sometimes I look around the restaurant and see the tables of silent eaters looking at us disapprovingly, but then I see other tables having just as good a time as we are.

As long as people aren't swearing or being crude as you describe above, I have no issue with a boisterous family/group of friends having a good time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter