• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
eh, 95% of reddit users think if you just step outside you're a terrible human trying to kill everyone

I had to stop going to the Galaxy' Edge subreddit because one of the top threads was basically trip shaming and had all these awards, and people defending got downvoted

True.

I only post on the aquarium sub-reddit! :D

Just a thought folks, but it might be worth taking this to another thread, lest the powers that be decide that the news roundup thread no longer meets it's stated topic.

Why, this is the most Disney news that has been out today. It's huge and Disney-related (since it involves fans no longer being able to discuss actual Disney news) - thus, perfectly discussed on a Disney news board...

Folks, I need to go do some programming homework and then I need to get off the boards for awhile and I assuming most of this conversation will be gone, locked and I will have too many points to ever post again.

Before this gets locked, I need to tell you all, thank you, thank you, very much. You saved me many times during the last year. I was often of the "stay locked down" side but still enjoyed the updates and the rumors, I even enjoyed Farro and Anthony going rounds and rounds.

Thank you very, very much Ryan. As a DL person I never thought I would find so much joy here.

I really mean it, you guys saved my sanity so many times. I can't ever repay that.

Thank you.

Why, this is the most Disney news that has been out today. It's huge and Disney-related (since it involves fans no longer being able to discuss actual Disney news) - thus, perfectly discussed on a Disney news board...

I think they are looking to cater this more to the first time need Disney info fan. No longer will it be a place for the hardcore fans.

Reminds me of another company's recent decisions, but I just can't put my finger on it.......

I still can’t get over the webmaster post on the cruise/theme park operational updates thread. Very out of touch and no pulse on what the rumors & news community is like.

For those of us who are interested in Disney as a whole, not only WDW, only Disneyland, only cruises etc., it was so nice to have all the news, rumors and discussion in one spot. I won’t bother hopping all over the forums, unfortunately. A lot of the discussion in news and rumors isn’t really appropriate for the more trip planning specific forums like TPAS anyways. Speculation will just get shut down.

This is just so short sighted.

Last edited:
I think they are looking to cater this more to the first time need Disney info fan. No longer will it be a place for the hardcore fans.

Yeah, The Dis are running a business, and this forum does not exactly run co-linear to their interests. Without a Ryan helping out for the love of it, a noisy, opinionated, forum can be a decidedly unnecessary risk for a business.

Social media systems like Reddit and ******* aren't really good fits for this kind of community either, since someone always 'owns' the channel, and if they lose interest or otherwise change focus, the channels tend to rot. Reddit in particular can be bad for that.

I'd personally spin up a forum site for people to use if I didn't have a good idea how much time and money that would cost me, and for that reason, I'm not going to criticize the Dis admins, even though I may not personally be overjoyed at what has just gone down!

Still, I'm honestly more salty about DME, so there's that.

[edit] edited to clarify which part of the quote I actually meant to quote.

Yeah, The Dis are running a business, and this forum does not exactly run co-linear to their interests. Without a Ryan helping out for the love of it, a noisy, opinionated, forum can be a decidedly unnecessary risk for a business.

Social media systems like Reddit and ******* aren't really good fits for this kind of community either, since someone always 'owns' the channel, and if they lose interest or otherwise change focus, the channels tend to rot. Reddit in particular can be bad for that.

I'd personally spin up a forum site for people to use if I didn't have a good idea how much time and money that would cost me, and for that reason, I'm not going to criticize the Dis admins, even though I may not personally be overjoyed at what has just gone down!

Still, I'm honestly more salty about DME, so there's that.

[edit] edited to clarify which part of the quote I actually meant to quote.

I can totally see that side of it, but still, they could've put out a nice cordial message about the hows and whys a few days ahead of time.

one last news/rumor!

Mad Tea Party and Swiss Family Treehouse closing for refurbishment:

Mad Tea Party will close on February 22 through March 4 and reopen on March 5, 2021.
Swiss Family Treehouse will close on March 12 through March 25 and reopen on March 26, 2021.

I found the Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus and the News threads my GO-TO threads for making the decision whether to spend my hard-earned cash at Disney. Shutting down the thread is pretty disappointing. It was a good place to add up all the adds and minus's found in the news thread and determine if the balance is tipping in favor of a trip or not. Yeah, you could do that with the news thread. But, the analysis done by people that have been there helped with perspective. I truly appreciate those that contributed (even argued) on that thread. It was worth it.

Lex Luther, @Pete? Really? Would really like to understand what's happening with these changes!

I can totally see that side of it, but still, they could've put out a nice cordial message about the hows and whys a few days ahead of time.

Exactly this. A post thanking Ryan for the hard work he put in over the years building this, curating the news, moderating the discussion.

Then explain what they’re doing, what’s happening moving forward. It could have even been a locked post if they wanted.

Instead, they just started blowing the whole thing up.

As a PR professional, these kind of things just make my head spin. Communicate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter