News Round Up 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Micky just sent me an e-card saying "sorry for your loss" 😂

In all seriousness, he does understand that this is actually a loss for me. Every morning I started work by logging on to read this board! Whatever this board turns into, it just won't be the same.

Le sigh.
That thread was our own version of The Breakfast Club. All different kinds of personalities that came together and eventually ended up getting along pretty well after some rough patches. Just with Ryan being nothing like Assistant Principal Vernon.

Yeah, The Dis are running a business, and this forum does not exactly run co-linear to their interests. Without a Ryan helping out for the love of it, a noisy, opinionated, forum can be a decidedly unnecessary risk for a business.

Social media systems like Reddit and ******* aren't really good fits for this kind of community either, since someone always 'owns' the channel, and if they lose interest or otherwise change focus, the channels tend to rot. Reddit in particular can be bad for that.

I'd personally spin up a forum site for people to use if I didn't have a good idea how much time and money that would cost me, and for that reason, I'm not going to criticize the Dis admins, even though I may not personally be overjoyed at what has just gone down!

Still, I'm honestly more salty about DME, so there's that.

[edit] edited to clarify which part of the quote I actually meant to quote.

We need something similar to this community that has reliable up to date news of all sorts. I don't understand why they'd take this away. It's going to be really hard to stay knowledgeable on Disney news now. I basically check here, and reddit. And the WDW reddit is laughably misinformed and their opinions are terrible.

That thread was our own version of The Breakfast Club. All different kinds of personalities that came together and eventually ended up getting along pretty well after some rough patches. Just with Ryan being nothing like Assistant Principal Vernon.
Yes to all of this. We had our disagreements but the overall tone in that thread was always far more lighthearted and friendly than a good chunk of the COVID related threads on here have gone. Ryan's very even handed moderation was a huge part of that. I am so disappointed to lose our little spot.

We need something similar to this community that has reliable up to date news of all sorts. I don't understand why they'd take this away. It's going to be really hard to stay knowledgeable on Disney news now. I basically check here, and reddit. And the WDW reddit is laughably misinformed and their opinions are terrible.
It really is. I had to unsubscribe from there even before the pandemic. Half of it is just pictures of spaceship earth anyway

It really is. I had to unsubscribe from there even before the pandemic. Half of it is just pictures of spaceship earth anyway

I don't really mind the pictures posts. Sometimes it's something cool. It's the comments that are just always so bad, spreading misinformation and downvoting people saying the correct things. But in any case, this is the best community for Disney and Orlando news on the web by far. It must be preserved in some way.

Can I say, I just looked at the Covid thread...and in 10.5 months, it had 6 MILLION+ views...that's incredible...just in sheer numbers of posters flocking to a singular thread to see it on an old school message board. I'd love to know if any thread ever on the forum hit that many views in that little time...so much possible traffic being lost in one move...and traffic makes business go round...

In some respects and to me, it sort of morphed into a Chit Chat thread with tangential ties to the virus. And that's not necessarily a bad thing is it?

I think it was almost more of a news and what's currently happening discussion thread. It definitely kept this thread cleaner and ONLY for real news as intended. Ryan would post the same thing in the other thread and we could talk about it. I can say I read or skimmed all 3000+ pages! I've quit watching vloggers as much lately, so I guess I'll stop checking the dis daily, too. Disney's still there, but it's not what it used to be. Our passes expire in July...maybe we really do need a break.

This makes me sad. I rarely post on here, but I read this thread and the now closed Covid one every day. Other than the DVC threads it's probably the number one place I head. I really don't see myself taking the time to dig through the multiple sub-forums they moved everything to, so I probably will just spend less time here. :mad:

It's a shame. Thanks to @rteetz for keeping it going as long as he did. I know it was a thankless task.

I hope that some form of News Thread continues - I know it's a lot of work to gather all the links and post when things appear, but it is invaluable for planning upcoming trips - maybe a little less off topic subjects, and stick more closely to the news... I know that not too much is happening right now, but I expect things to get more active soon with more openings and (hopefully) longer hours

Isn't this the NEWS thread? It's still open, just a bit off topic right now with all that happened today.

Hoping after people have an opportunity to share their surprise and disappointment that we can get back to this being the News Round Up thread as @rteetz intended it to be.

If there is one forum member that I would vote for to resume the role of moderator, I know where I would cast it. He has the uncanny ability to engage in conversation and pose challenging thoughts/questions without being condescending in the slightest. He also is incredibly articulate and knowledgeable on many facets of Disney.

He knows when to move on when a conversation doesn't add anymore value and can only drift into deep negativity. He is not afraid to share shortcomings in knowledge and often uses empathy as a way to connect with posters.

I get it that this member may not want to be a moderator and that this isn't a proxy voting position, but he gets my vote hands down.
Is it my avatar's old owner..... LOL, lol.

Whatever changes are happening, I certainly hope they're temporary.

I'll just reiterate again my appreciation for this community of posters. In my experience, everyone here is not only passionate but well-informed, respectful, and friendly. Especially during these turbulent times, I'm sure I'm not alone in looking forward to these conversations for a reprieve every day. I've always enjoyed reading the different and insightful perspectives of each poster, even those with whom I've butted heads. Disney is lucky to have such a passionate group of individuals as fans, and right now, they're keeping the parks afloat.

In the meantime, I hope to see everyone around on some of the other DIS forums!

Whatever changes are happening, I certainly hope they're temporary.

I'll just reiterate again my appreciation for this community of posters. In my experience, everyone here is not only passionate but well-informed, respectful, and friendly. Especially during these turbulent times, I'm sure I'm not alone in looking forward to these conversations for a reprieve every day. I've always enjoyed reading the different and insightful perspectives of each poster, even those with whom I've butted heads. Disney is lucky to have such a passionate group of individuals as fans, and right now, they're keeping the parks afloat.

In the meantime, I hope to see everyone around on some of the other DIS forums!

its at least until they find a new mod ... then depends how much that mod is allowed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter