News Round Up 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, these are just tests - I am hoping they look a little better for daytime mode.

Back in the day imagineering would have been allowed to submerge these things until the evening... that was when the guest experience mattered.

Back in the day imagineering would have been allowed to submerge these things until the evening... that was when the guest experience mattered.

While submerging them would be epic, I don't necessarily agree that they don't care about guest experience. Everyone has different opinions about that, and while sightlines are very important to some people, they aren't as important to others. Some would trade tehm for a truly amazing nighttime show, and some would not. I imagine most people don't really care that much either way. Those things are pretty crazy though!

I’ve read that the coming iOS 14 will allow facial recognition with a mask, but you’ll have to have an Apple Watch too, to validate that it’s really you.
Thanks! I don't have an Apple Watch but decided this week that I'm going to start saving for one. Mickey was my excuse to finally consider getting one. :)

Thanks! I don't have an Apple Watch but decided this week that I'm going to start saving for one. Mickey was my excuse to finally consider getting one. :)
I have one, and I’m looking forward to MobileMagic* so I can stop wearing the puck holder on the watch band and just use the watch! I like my watch for a lot of other reasons, too!

*Sorry, MagicMobile!

Last edited:

Off topic - but if you go into your settings and select "set up an alternate appearance" you will need to start with the mask off of your face, but you can put it on before moving your face around. If it "loses" track while capturing put the mast back on/off. Not guaranteed to work every time... but anything is better than never :)

As we conside the Harmonious barges and whether at the end of the day they will be eyesores or ruin sight lines etc I would like everyone to think back to the skyliner's construction (or any number of other recent projects.) Everytime something new is being added people panic and think that it will ruin sight lines or destroy what already exists in some way. Perhaps we should start giving Disney the benefit doubt on this type of thing. They have a pretty solid track record.

Also, I find the assertion that adding the most advanced pieces of technology/equipment ever developed for a nighttime spectacular is a sign that disney no longer cares about the guest experience pretty comical.

Perhaps when we look at these new set pieces and their massive size we should consider the scale and scope of the show they will soon help produce. I for one am excited to see the wonders they will soon bring forth for our enjoyment both before and after the sun sets.

As we conside the Harmonious barges and whether at the end of the day they will be eyesores or ruin sight lines etc I would like everyone to think back to the skyliner's construction (or any number of other recent projects.) Everytime something new is being added people panic and think that it will ruin sight lines or destroy what already exists in some way. Perhaps we should start giving Disney the benefit doubt on this type of thing. They have a pretty solid track record.

Also, I find the assertion that adding the most advanced pieces of technology/equipment ever developed for a nighttime spectacular is a sign that disney no longer cares about the guest experience pretty comical.

Perhaps when we look at these new set pieces and their massive size we should consider the scale and scope of the show they will soon help produce. I for one am excited to see the wonders they will soon bring forth for our enjoyment both before and after the sun sets.
I think overall, people in general are resistant to change, especially when nostalgia plays a factor and can be too quick to judge.

I’ve read that the coming iOS 14 will allow facial recognition with a mask, but you’ll have to have an Apple Watch too, to validate that it’s really you.

I expect that update to drop either next week or the week after (typically Tuesdays). I've been running the beta and the watch unlock feature for wearing a mask works great. You'll need to explicitly enable it, it wont be on by default, and it still wont work for payments, but if you have the watch on, there's no reason to use the phone for tap-to-pay anyway.

Perhaps we should start giving Disney the benefit doubt on this type of thing. They have a pretty solid track record.

Indeed, everytIme I see a fairy tale bathroom peeking over the top of the haunted mansion from liberty square I think "yup Disney still care."

I just keep remembering the times I could find a nice spot to take a little mental break by sipping a "beverage of choice" and gazing across the lagoon, and thinking about how peaceful it was to see all the other countries side by side.

Looks like now it will be gazing at an industrial pile of metal disguised as a fountain, and all but blocking any view of the countries' buildings across the water. I sure hope that the nighttime show is great enough to offset the loss of the day view. We'll see.... some of the past "updates" haven't been brilliant. But I'm holding on to hope.

I do sometimes watch the nighttime shows but I do not think it is worth looking at the industrial pile of metal. I can hardly believe someone thought that much metal in the middle of the lake all day would not lessen the overall atmosphere.

While submerging them would be epic, I don't necessarily agree that they don't care about guest experience. Everyone has different opinions about that, and while sightlines are very important to some people, they aren't as important to others. Some would trade tehm for a truly amazing nighttime show, and some would not. I imagine most people don't really care that much either way. Those things are pretty crazy though!

The man who created Disney viewed sitelines as the most important thing and one of the big reasons why they expanded to Florida.

The man who created Disney viewed sitelines as the most important thing and one of the big reasons why they expanded to Florida.
Maybe they’re trying to use the fountain to “improve” sight lines. Similar to how you can’t really see from one land over into another at Magic Kingdom, the fountain will perhaps give us something beautiful (?) to look at while in each country without looking over and seeing all the other “countries.” That way you’re more fully immersed in one culture. Perhaps if it would have been like that from the beginning of the world showcase we would have accepted it as part of a genius master plan. Just a thought.

That doesn't mean there is a right or wrong answer here. I am sure no Imagineer started with the idea, "Hey, let's ruin those Epcot sightlines!" There is a give and take to things and nothing is perfect. I have my reservations myself, but I'm not ready to assume that nobody at Disney "cares" about anything. HarmonioUS is being created by a ton of people who do care I am sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter